Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    i had sorta the same thing. MRI showed nothing conclusive that indicated a meniscus tear, just some grey spots. my patella cartilage sucks so they are going to go in and clean that out, while at the same time checking everything else in my knee for problems.

My biggest fear now is im going to be sitting there under local anesthesia and the doc will sit up and say, "well, turns out the MRI missed ____"

I had a big fear of this as well--and nobody can tell you for sure that it won't happen, particularly with how many people have posted that their MRIs didn't reveal their meniscus tears--but rest my MRI said no tear, and surgeon confirmed it. Hopefully you'll have the same good luck!

FYI: it's possible albeit uncommon for one to tear the meniscus between the MRI and the operating room. But MRIs aren't 100% sensitive or specific

...unless I read them.

Last edited by Jim S; 07-03-2008 at 02:58 PM.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
    Is there an echo in here?

In answer to the initial question - classic symptoms for medial meniscus tear are locking and giving way.
    All the things that the Dr mentioned to you - med men, patella tendinitis/ patella femoral pain are fully rehab able - so stay away from those high bridges!
    http://www.physiobench.com
    Online Physio treatment and advice
    Quote PHYB2501 for 25% off

So hers the dillio yo
    Had an apt last night
    Orthopod ordered an MRI, it came back clean. He didn’t see any ligament or meniscus tear.
    The plot thickens: Separate Doc for separate issue ordered some normal blood work and it came back saying ive got Lyme Disease, again. So im on the antibiotics for that for the next 30 days. I know lyme can cause joint pain, so ive got my hopes up. Separate doc wants to make sure I don’t have lymal meningitis and wants to do a spinal tap. I’m a little scared shitless of someone shoving a needle in my spine.
    WWMD?

Knee still aches constantly, hurts when tourqued at all. Clicks, pops, rice crispies.
    He wants me to rehab hard, to do anything as long as it doesn’t hurt. Thoughts?

Sorry for the disorganized post, its early and I haven’t had coffee yet
    Live

Quote Originally Posted by janeho View Post
    In answer to the initial question - classic symptoms for medial meniscus tear are locking and giving way.
    All the things that the Dr mentioned to you - med men, patella tendinitis/ patella femoral pain are fully rehab able - so stay away from those high bridges!
    do you have any thoughts on rehab techniques or exercises?
    much appreciated
    Last edited by skiingsamurai; 07-08-2008 at 02:09 PM.
    Live

bump

48 hrs on the lyme meds and my knee feels 90% better. Night and day difference. I cant believe it. Last night I spent an hr in the gym working it out. It feels great

anyone have any more thoughts? exercises to rehab the meniscus?
    Live

Quote Originally Posted by skiingsamurai View Post
    bump

48 hrs on the lyme meds and my knee feels 90% better. Night and day difference. I cant believe it. Last night I spent an hr in the gym working it out. It feels great

anyone have any more thoughts? exercises to rehab the meniscus?
    no exercises to rehab a meniscus. its just cartilage. there are tons to rehab a knee. Your knee feels better though and it was lyme, so why the rehab?

the orthopod said he wants to see my quads as strong as possible. Theyre already pretty strong, but ill take any excuse to go to the gym.

After a hellish workout last night im heading back there now. Just like weights and bike for now. I hope I can start running in less than a month.

My knee still needs a little cleaning, meniscus and patellar cartilage, but its not as bad as we initially thought, so I can wait a while to go under the knife again.

What to do
    squats are still painful so last night it was extensions, curls, and step ups with weights in hand. Any other recommendations?
    Live

Quote Originally Posted by Woodlandclown View Post
    no exercises to rehab a meniscus. its just cartilage. there are tons to rehab a knee. Your knee feels better though and it was lyme, so why the rehab?

Having a knee injury does not make one knowledgeable aout all knee injuries. I rehab peeps with meniscus tears almost everyday.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by skiingsamurai View Post
    the orthopod said he wants to see my quads as strong as possible. Theyre already pretty strong, but ill take any excuse to go to the gym.

After a hellish workout last night im heading back there now. Just like weights and bike for now. I hope I can start running in less than a month.

My knee still needs a little cleaning, meniscus and patellar cartilage, but its not as bad as we initially thought, so I can wait a while to go under the knife again.

What to do
    squats are still painful so last night it was extensions, curls, and step ups with weights in hand. Any other recommendations?

The lyme disease thing is interesting and may be contributing, but the crepitus (rice crispies) in your knee lead me more to think you you have more of patello-femoral syndrome type situation.

One of the most common things I see with PFS is tight hamstrings. If you have tight hammies try being better at regular stretching.

As for the strength thing try to stay away from exercises that cause the crepitation under your patella. stick to partial leg extensions 0-30 deg only and partial squats no deeper than 70 deg knee FLX. Also work on hip Abductor strenght.

WhiteRoom Skis

Quote Originally Posted by Vinman View Post
    Having a knee injury does not make one knowledgeable aout all knee injuries. I rehab peeps with meniscus tears almost everyday.
    I wasnt implying that I was an expert. I was asking him a question, I thought he had said he didnt have a meniscus injury, that is was lyme and going away.

Additionally, I was answering his particlar question saying there is no exercise to isolate a meniscus to rehab it--its all part of a knee rehab. He didnt ask about rehab for knee with a meniscus injury, I suppose thats what he meant, but thats not the way its read.

thats what I meant, but it wasnt clear at all. I do have cartilidge issues, no doubt, but not bad enough for surgery yet. The lymes was what made me think it was worse than it was. I still have 26 days on the drugs, then well see.

I spent 30 min on the stationary last night and felt 7/10 good. knee ached, but that could be because it hasnt seen much activity of late. Today im stiff and sore, but not hurting other than normal muscular stiffness.
    Live

OK I may have read your response wrong I apologise. And of course there is no way to "exercise" the meniscus as it is non-contractile tissue

There also seems be some confusion on meniscus (fibrocartilage) vs patelloformal type problem which can be related to articular (hyaline) cartilage. Both are cartilage but different types. Fibrocartilage is well fibrous and absorbs shock as well as increases the stability of a joint by sort of forming a gasket in effect deepening the socket/articulation. When this is damaged it tears and can catch click and lock the knee.

Hayaline cartilage is found on the end of bones at synovial joints. It is very hard very smooth allowing the joint to have almost a frisctionless surface. When this type of cartilage gets damaged it can get rough (rice cripsies) or it can chip away and cause locking catching of the joint.

neither type will show up on x-ray as it is not calcified.

WhiteRoom Skis

thanks,
    how well do meniscus tear and patelloformal issues show up on a non contrast MRI? orthopod said mine were cleanish, but ive heard MRIs dont show all
    Live

Yo, Vinman...got a question for you. My bucket handle tear of my meniscus leaves me non-weight for 4+ weeks. I have twice hit weight on it and it's killing me 3 weeks post op after feeling great prior to screwin up and weighting it at 2 weeks post op. How fragile is a repair of that nature and should I worry (god, I hate to worry) about having done some damage if it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Yo, Vinman...got a question for you. My bucket handle tear of my meniscus leaves me non-weight for 4+ weeks. I have twice hit weight on it and it's killing me 3 weeks post op after feeling great prior to screwin up and weighting it at 2 weeks post op. How fragile is a repair of that nature and should I worry (god, I hate to worry) about having done some damage if it hurts?
    Just personal experience---
    I still wonder that now. I had a couple of scares myself early on and even after 3 months after my night of dance i was still scared I had injured something. From what I have gathered, for around 6 weeks its fragile and basically three months its pretty much completely healed. Obviously that varies a bit from person to person. From personal experience, when i started weight bearing after 6 weeks of not, it really hurt and took 2-3 weeks to stop bothering me. I think some pain is definitely normal for the first two months, but if its beyond something tolerable, then you may need to get it checked out. on a positive note, I did put full weight on mine a few times weeks after surgery and i hurt for a while, but it went away. you would probably have to have done something a little more serious, ie twisting, falling or something to really do damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinman View Post
    OK I may have read your response wrong I apologise.
    Thanks! I apologize if I am coming across as a know-it-all. certainly not the intent. Just trying to give my personal experience, which is limited, thank god!

Samuri-

I was certain that I tore something in my knee while training for a marathon last summer. MRI was clean and was told by the md that it was PFS. I rehabbed with Brian Loeffler at OnTrack PT at the bottom of Main Street in Burlington, and have felt great ever since. I can't recommend that place enough.

dually noted^^

this week has been a pretty heavy one with rehab. Not much high weights, just what i said above and biking. Did a 3 minute wall sit weds night and felt good, not great. But ive only been on the lyme meds for 5 days, but me thinks that was the primary problem. strange how something like that can cause all of the symptoms of a physical tear
    Live

What is the physiological connection between Lyme and joint pain/swelling/functional disability?
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived