Fishing near Chico, CA

I'm going to be in the Chico, CA area for business next week. I have some down time and was considering bring a fly rod to kill some time.

I did a little research and it seems there is some small creeks and rivers in the foothills.

Any recommendations for some decent trout fishing in the area, perhaps within an hours drive?
    The beatings will continue until moral improves!

Not sure if it's quite within an hour but the North Fork of the Feather river along Highway 70 is beautiful and can be a pretty good fishery (although it's been like a decade since I fished there). If you can get all the way up into the Belden area you can hit Yellow Creek which is managed as a wild trout flyfish only creek.
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

Is the North Fork of Feather River North of Chico on 70?

It looks like Belden is just under a 60 mile drive from Chico. Is the Yellow river access before or after Belden.

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Burrrr View Post
    Is the North Fork of Feather River North of Chico on 70?

It looks like Belden is just under a 60 mile drive from Chico. Is the Yellow river access before or after Belden.

Thanks for your help.
    Yep, Belden on on highway 70.
    I'm not sure about access to Yellow Creek from that side. I have only accessed it from the top (lake Almanor area). Maps show a road dropping down to 70 but it could be a really steep jeep trail (the canyons there are really deep and steep and Yellow creek is out of the canyon from the Feather River).
    There is some info here http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/lassen/recre...shing/streams/
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

Lego, just wanted to let you know that I attempted to get up to beldon and only made it about 10 miles up 70 before I had to turn around because of the wild fires. Sitting in Chico, thanking all the fire fighters. This place is Dante's inferno! The fire just jumped highway 32 today. Can't even see past one city block from the fourth floor of my hotel. There won't be any fishing this time around.

I drove up this morning from Los Gatos and the smoke was present during the entire drive. These people need good vibes. Just passing on an observation.