Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Rossignol = discontinued

Moody's Investors Service put Quiksilver Inc.'s ratings on review for a possible downgrade as it tries to sell its ski equipment unit Rossignol. As reported, Quiksilver plans to sell Rossignol, a French company it bought in 2005. The company has classified Rossignol as discontinued operations.

Moody's said the review will consider the uncertainty associated with the company's ability to successfully conclude a sale of Rossignol. A successful sale would have an immediately positive impact on results, Moody's said in a statement, but the amount, timing and terms of any sale remains uncertain.

"Failure to sell the business in the near-term term would likely mean that Quiksilver will not be able to achieve the credit metrics necessary to maintain its current rating," Moody's said.

really?

wonder what the fate of Rossi will be
    Live

Look is supposed to be interested. Look's CEO has been quoted in the french press as close to present an offer.
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

The old owner was thinking of buying it back last I heard at O.R. but I guess we will see???

does anyone honestly care if rossignol were to die?
    i cant say ive been remotely interested in anything theyve had to offer in a while

The new Seven Sins skis are muy interesting.
    The Z9 is a hell of a carver.
    The bandit line has had quite a few great skis.
    And it's an iconic brand.

Yes, I do care.

Would you care if Chevy were to die ?
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

I have skied their gear for the last few years and I guess it depends. I could say the same thing about Armada or K2 for that fact. Everyone likes what they like. I know that I can put almost anyone on a Rossignol and they will have a fun day no matter what their level of skiing. For the "Bro's" it might not be the best ski in the world but for all around skiing they work great. Guess it's been a while since you have been on em eh? They are one of the oldest ski companies still around so yeah...I guess I care;-)

Love my Squads.
    Fresh Tracks are the ultimate graffitti.
    Schmear

Set forth the pattern to succeed.
    Sam Kavanagh

Friends of Tuckerman Ravine

Squads rock. Glad I've got 2 pairs.

I've had some great memories from times I've had on Rossis.

Oh well

FYI, that "discontinued" is solely a way of separating it from normal operations on an income statement, it doesn't mean it's been shut down. Appears that Dynastar/Look/Lange are included....saw this on Firsttracks the other day:

Ski Maker Rossignol Is Up For Sale
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com/ind...ticle&sid=4581

Park City, UT - Board sports company Quiksilver, Inc. will sell its Rossignol brand of ski hardgoods and softgoods, the company announced in its second quarter financial statement last week. The sale will include the Rossignol, Dynastar, Lange, Look and Kerma brands of ski equipment and apparel, all of which are operated under the Quiksilver's Rossignol Group business unit.

Quiksilver has now classified its Rossignol Group wintersports equipment and apparel business as discontinued operations pending the sale and took a non-cash pre-tax charge in the second quarter of $240.2 million. The revision to the recorded value of the Rossignol Group was triggered by the sale process.

“As we separate the results of the Rossignol Group from those of our continuing core businesses, it becomes increasingly clear that our broadly diversified mix of brands, products, geographies and distribution channels positions us well in challenging economic climates, such as the one we all face today," stated Robert B. McKnight, Jr., Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer and President of Quiksilver, Inc.

Among winter sports brands, Quiksilver also maintains the Quiksilver, Roxy, DC and other apparel brand businesses. The company will continue to make snowboarding equipment under its DC, Roxy, Lib Technologies, Gnu and Bent Metal labels.

The Rossignol Group maintains North American offices in Park City, Utah, with a distribution center in nearby Ogden.

SAS skis?
    give me a break, unless im missing something, its a scratch bc

carvers?
    like no one else in the industry makes a carver.
    jeez

bandit series?
    give me a break. even the pro riders think the squads are retarded. (at least one that i know of..)

its definitely an iconic brand, but its lost its market i think from making shitty average skis and not innovating.
    why should I care about a large brand that infuses the market with tons of crap just because its had a small part in the history of skiing?
    would I care if chevy were to die, no, I wouldnt.

edit
    everyone has their own taste is skis, so dont let me stop you from liking the skis, but from where im standing, i guess i just dont care and might even go so far as to say i wouldnt mind not seeing their skis in the magazines and stores.

and say what you will about K2, but at least theyve been trying new things and been at the forefront of trying new things in the large companies.
    Last edited by pechelman; 06-18-2008 at 10:52 AM.

So Pechelman...when was the last time you were on a pair of Rossignol skis? I was out with a couple pro riders this winter for a week trip and they loved em. Again I guess that is why we have so many companies out there so people can buy what they like. Rossignol has had a huge part in the history of making skis and have been on the top in many great ideas...they even put windows in their skis...I mean who doesn't want a window in their skis?(ok that wasn't a big deal but the idea of a plastic tip to reduce swing weight was a great idea!!!) Oh well...they are not going anywhere so no worries!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
    bandit series?
    give me a break. even the pro riders think the squads are retarded. (at least one that i know of..)
    Well, isn't that a lovely generalization.

STOP THE PRESS! One skier doesn't like them so they must suck.

SAS skis?
    Err, no, you're missing something...

carvers?
    jeez
    This one is a great ski. Did you ski it ?

bandit series?
    You don't say... If one pro rider thinks that, I guess that settle the case.

its definitely an iconic brand, but its lost its market i think from making shitty average skis and not innovating.
    why should I care about a large brand that infuses the market with tons of crap just because its had a small part in the history of skiing?
    Many would.

Fuck, this html cut and paste thing is boring...

Edit : We should agree to disagree. You asked the question and got an answer : Some people would care. To each his own.
    Last edited by philippeR; 06-18-2008 at 10:56 AM.

Helldawg Guest
    SAS skis?

carvers?
    jeez

bandit series?

edit
    everyone has their own taste is skis, so dont let me stop you from liking the skis, but from where im standing, i guess i just dont care and might even go so far as to say i wouldnt mind not seeing their skis in the magazines and stores.

and say what you will about K2, but at least theyve been trying new things and been at the forefront of trying new things in the large companies.
    Wow, you sound like a real bitter douche.

Quote Originally Posted by jarlybart View Post
    So Pechelman...when was the last time you were on a pair of Rossignol skis?
    the last time was 2 years ago on a pair of z9s, b3s, b2s, and bc's.
    i wasnt impressed and havent been back

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Pappagiorgio View Post
    Well, isn't that a lovely generalization.
    lets just say i have a lot of respect for this one individual
    ive never skied a squad myself so i cant comment on first hand, but i really think they missed the mark, and so does this person. i have lots of stories....
    i also like to think im not an idiot when it comes to ski design.....

Quote Originally Posted by philippeR View Post
    Err, no, you're missing something...

This one is a great ski. Did you ski it ?

You don't say... If one pro rider thinks that, I guess that settle the case.
    well i did a search on SAS and came up with something from evogear which was ~130-98-120

z9, yes. its average and other companies make skis just like it. i dont see this as being a big loss.

ive skied 2 skis in the bandit series and thought there were pretty lackluster and bleh. very average. my comment on the prorider of which im referring to is only based on the squad. again, i have a lot of respect for this one person as a skier. im certain most everyone else here on this board does as well....

---

like i said
    if they died and never made skis again
    i could care less and i ALSO think it could be good for the industry as a whole.
    perhaps they can use this as another wakeup call and restructure and rethink their designs and such.
    lastly, i love skiing and the industry, so any company who is in it, i wish them well and success
    Last edited by pechelman; 06-18-2008 at 11:02 AM.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    does anyone honestly care if rossignol were to die?
    i cant say ive been remotely interested in anything theyve had to offer in a while
    Nope.

Have never been a fan of rossi. Especially the megabangs I had that snapped in half while skinning up to a no-fall-zone-into-death-rocks coolie a few years ago. Had they broken while dropping in at the top I would have been toast.

NEVER AGAIN.

I'm wearing a Rossi t-shirt right now... what a coincidence. I haven't been on a pair of Rossi's for years, but I loved 'em.

the last time was 2 years ago on a pair of z9s, b3s, b2s, and bc's.
    i wasnt impressed and havent been back

lets just say i have a lot of respect for this one individual
    ive never skied a squad myself so i cant comment on first hand, but i really think they missed the mark, and so does this person. i have lots of stories....
    i also like to think im not an idiot when it comes to ski design.....

well i did a search on SAS and came up with something from evogear which was ~130-98-120

z9, yes. its average and other companies make skis just like it. i dont see this as being a big loss.

ive skied 2 skis in the bandit series and thought there were pretty lackluster and bleh. very average. my comment on the prorider of which im referring to is only based on the squad. again, i have a lot of respect for this one person as a skier. im certain most everyone else here on this board does as well....

---

like i said
    if they died and never made skis again
    i could care less and i ALSO think it could be good for the industry as a whole.
    perhaps they can use this as another wakeup call and restructure and rethink their designs and such.

Just wondering, how long have you been skiing for?

Quote Originally Posted by MTslackcountry View Post
    Just wondering, how long have you been skiing for?
    my opinion probably has a lot to do with that, and im not ignoring that fact.
    ive been skiing for 4 years and designing skis for a company you may have heard of, for 2.5years.

this is my last comment here;
    im also not one for "brand loyalty".
    it doesnt make a lot of sense to me.
    the ski industry is also a business, and if they cant cut it, too bad.
    people have spoken with their dollars\euros\whatevers.

When I was younger I remember skiing on Rossi straight skis with roosters on the tips. And Rossi Vipers... those were cool...

That was the last time I thought a rossi ski was good.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

my opinion probably has a lot to do with that, and im not ignoring that fact.
    ive been skiing for 4 years and designing skis for a company you may have heard of, for 2.5years.

this is my last comment here;
    im also not one for "brand loyalty".
    it doesnt make a lot of sense to me.
    the ski industry is also a business, and if they cant cut it, too bad.
    people have spoken with their dollars\euros\whatevers.

For some reason I thought you had been skiing much longer. Just gathered that from your posts. Imteresting!

Im very surprised. Though I dont think years skiing has much to do with whether you think the rossi skis are good or not...its all personal preference right? Thats why there are choices...otherwise we'd all be skiing the same thing...

Had the cool shirt when i was a kid "give me rossignol or give me head"

that being said i am done with the big mass produced ski co's. the good shit is made by smaller companies, worth spending the extra $, and those companies (not the k2's) will help the sport more in the long run.
    Top of the Food Chain for White Trash America

my comment on the prorider of which im referring to is only based on the squad. again, i have a lot of respect for this one person as a skier. im certain most everyone else here on this board does as well....
    Well FWIW pechelman (im no pro) i've skied on almost every "big mountain" ski from squads to LPs to XXLs and supermojos as well as most of the PMGear contingent (192s, brockers, 195s, 188s) and I can honestly say the squad blows them all out of the water. It is probably one of the best designed skis i've been on.
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

1 mile from N. America's biggest chairlift
    I was able to try out a pair of the brand new S7 this year. I believe this ski is the future. It is powder specific like a Pontoon or Spatula, but the thing rips on groomers and everywhere in between. All I know is that my skiing will reach the next level next season because of these skis.

Long Live the Rooster!!
    Rocket Sleds and Super Space Boots