Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

help me like whiskey

So been thinking about getting into drinking some whiskey/whisky.

I know pretty much nothing about it, and since i am sure many of you have that knowledge i come to you for some help

i need a game plan

Some nice Canadian, VO would be a good choice. Some ice and a splash of water or soda. Work up to Bourbon and Scotch.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

a gin and tonic will cure your ailments. then, when you're ready, you can enjoy a nice islay or a bulleit. be warned: you can take up to ten years to mature.

oh i love me some gin and tonics, and straight tequila. i feel like whiskey is classy, and i only really get gin and tonics when its warm out

If you can't figure out whiskey you ain't trying and you sure ain't getting any sympathy from me. Try some Rebel Yell until the training wheels fall off.
    another Handsome Boy graduate

You wanna drink it straight up, or you want to be able to enjoy it mixed?

I gotta say, I think the Whiskey and Ginger Ale is damn near the best mixed drink available.

I've only gotten into the brown water in the last few years. I prefer Bourbon. Can't go wrong with Jack, Beam, or Maker's.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

Quote Originally Posted by bossass View Post
    You wanna drink it straight up, or you want to be able to enjoy it mixed?

I gotta say, I think the Whiskey and Ginger Ale is damn near the best mixed drink available.

I've only gotten into the brown water in the last few years. I prefer Bourbon. Can't go wrong with Jack, Beam, or Maker's.
    +1 for Whiskey and Ginger

While those first two bourbons are good for mixing, they aren't nearly as smooth for sipping as a Jameson or Bushmill's. But I am partial to some Irish whiskey.

I would say, if you have the money, to buy a fifth of a few different kinds. If you don't like one on the rocks, then maybe just through it in a tall glass with your mix of choice. If you find one that you enjoy straight then you could look into that companies different aged varieties.
    We Make Memory When We Do Bussiness

Whisky:
    The word whisky was originally derived from the Gaelic ‘uisge beatha’ – appropriately meaning ‘the water of life’.

Some good whisky info here, worth checking out:
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=77948

My preference: two awesome Scotch malts from Islay, very smooth but still plenty of peaty smokiness. Close to perfection, best enjoyed without ice/water or any mixers:

Caol Ila or Lagavulin

Fuggit - get yerself a bottle of Macallan 25 and drink it all.

If anyone else calls Jack Daniels "Bourbon" or "good" I will personally kick your ass. If you want to learn what good liquor tastes like don't buy anything that high schoolers drink.

Scotch (single Malt)
    -Macallan Cask Strength... mix with a little filtered water or one ice cube. We drink Scotch too warm in the US. You need to water this Scotch down since it's between 100-120 proof. Seriously, you need to do it to get the taste right. Best bang for the buck IMHO.
    -The aforementioned Lagavulin... a smoky Islay
    -Laphroaig... another smoky tasting Islay
    -Oban... briny, peaty, completely different tasting than the above
    -Cragganmore... a classic Speyside Whisky

Bourbon (small Batch)
    -Woodford Reserve
    -Blanton's
    -Booker's (also cask strength - needs water or an ice cube)

grab a bottle of Crown. Put ice in a glass. Add water, 7up, Coke, whatever ya like. Repeat.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

lagavulin & laphroaig are my personal favorites but starting out you probably want something less smokey....dalwhinnie is a good beginners scotch. put some in a glass on some ice and splash some water on it. it'll taste pretty strong off the bat but as the ice melts the bite mellows out and you can taste the nuances of the scotch. diehards are against water and/or ice, but you've got to develop the taste before you can appreciate it straight up.

welcome to the man club.

advres Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    -Oban... briny, peaty, completely different tasting than the above
    Oban is one of my favorites. What I heard through the grapevine is their storage site burnt down, so quantities may be lacking in the coming years, so buy up if you like it.

Can anyone confirm/deny this? I heard from a reputable source but the google does nothing.

I'd suggest that you go to a bar that has an extensive selection of whiskey during a slow time of day and talk to the bartender. Explain that you are trying to cultivate a taste for good whiskey and would like to taste some of his or her favorites. The best way to learn about what you like is to taste a lot of different whiskeys. Your palate may get a bit fatigued after five or six different whiskeys, so you'll probably need to do this a few times (life's tuff, right?). The last thing you want to do right now is to go buy an expensive bottle of single malt. You don't have the palate to appreciate it, yet. Instead you should taste a lot of great whiskey so that you can get a good handle on what you actually enjoy.

As an aside: Good whiskey should always be served with a splash of water. I usually put about a tablespoon of water into an ounce of whiskey when I'm tasting. The water helps to open up the nose of the whiskey without significantly affecting the flavor or mouthfeel.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Good advices.
    My 0.2E : Do not limit yourself to one whisky. You'll need a quiver. At least 3 or 4 different brand, with different flavours, to suit the mood of the day.

Oh, and do you guys need a frenchman to remind you that Rye is an american classic ? Pappy makes great stuff...

advres : Thanks for the pointer. I'm stocking Oban right now. A great "all moutain" whisky IMO.
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

Another vote for Makers Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

If you've heard of it before, its probably not very good.

I prefer my whiskey shaken quickly with ice and then strained. It adds a little water, cools it a touch but doesn't get watered down. I hate icecubes melting in my drink. If i don't go that way, I like it "neat" which is straight.

Of the ones that you might have heard of, Jameson is good.... when you're going to mix something into it.

Tullamore Dew is one of my favorites to enjoy.

I am not much of a whiskey drinker, but whiskey and ginger is a good fucking drink.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Fuggit - get yerself a bottle of Macallan 25, throw the lid away and drink it all in one evening with a few friends.... 'core
    Some company is good too Tip, hard work on your own, maybe not too healthy either.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    If you've heard of it before, its probably not very good.

advres Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    I prefer my whiskey shaken quickly with ice and then strained. It adds a little water, cools it a touch but doesn't get watered down. I hate icecubes melting in my drink.
    You want to really blow the bartenders mind! Ask if they can through the ice in a rocks glass on the side. That way you can suck on it between sips, not wasting any of the alcohol. Good stuff!

Most of my evenings involve a good wank and a glass of this...

+1 for drawing the line between shite and whiskey!
    Personally Balvinie Double wood 12yr. is the best bang for your buck, smooth and easy I'd list the tasting notes but that goes beyond obnoxious.

If I'm heading out and looking for a decent (cheaper) whiskey I bring Jameson's; good straight (neat), out of the bottle or if you must mix it, it goes great in a black pint.

Other than that I've taken to drinking whiskeys that are limited bottlings. Usually really good always a little different and definitely fun to bust out around folks that like their whiskeys.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

I like JD more than any other whiskey or Scotch (I hate Scotch). To each his own.

I like it on the rocks which is slightly barbaric but again. I like it!

Good way to learn how to drink whiskey is drink it with a beer back. I like a Heineken or a Pilsner with a Jack rocks.

advres Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    I like JD more than any other whiskey or Scotch (I hate Scotch). To each his own.
    But how many different single malt scotches have you tried? They are all quite different and have major taste differences. I don't try to sway anyone either way, but maybe you just haven't tried one that suits your taste. Scotch is yummy!

Quote Originally Posted by advres View Post
    But how many different single malt scotches have you tried? They are all quite different and have major taste differences. I don't try to sway anyone either way, but maybe you just haven't tried one that suits your taste. Scotch is yummy!
    I've tried enough to know that I like Jack. I was at a fancy charity deal at the Olympic Club where they had free tastings of VERY expensive single malt Scotch. Meh.. I went back to the bar for a whiskey and a beer.