Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Parvo View Post
    YES. I had some of this stuff the other day and it made me like whiskey. Smooth, great tasting. I hardly drink at all, but this stuff is good.

I like clicking on a thread and then reading my contribution, even though I don't remember writing it. I still have a long way to go in the whisky/whiskey world but I still do love some ischabaha and whisky/ginger.

continue
    We Make Memory When We Do Bussiness

For the Love of Bourbon

I realize that this thread is 2 years old, but just to add my .02....

I can't say enough on behalf of the bourbon. I, like so many others, burnt my brown liquor fix back in college on crap like Beam and Jack, and yes, even SoCo.

Fast forward many more educated years and many trips down Kentucky's famed Bourbon Trail and I've discovered what a beautiful concoction true straight bourbon can be.

I've also really enjoyed the resurgence of craft cocktails/pre-prohibition cocktail making that's been happening across our great country (and many others too, see: Prague, London, Paris, Munich, Tokyo) Bourbon is of course a strong part of this movement.

Some of my favorites:

Woodford Reserve: any which way you can... just don't mix it with a ton of crap. Awesome on it's own, fantastic in an Old Fashioned, and some really great cocktails

Eagle Rare: Aged 10 years, smooth carmel notes, very good on it's own with one or two cubes of ice

Basil Hayden's: Very smooth KY Bourbon

Blantons

Any of the Van Winkle Family bourbons (yes even their rye). Pricey but very very worth it.

Sazerac Rye: some may say "blasphemer!!!" but this is my go to rye especially in a properly made Sazerac. Speaking of which, go drink yourself a good Sazerac, I'm going to.

Ice: I'm a big fan of proper ice in a cocktail/whiskey, I think it can make or break a good drink. I found these in a whiskey bar in Tokyo but turns out they're from NYC in MOMA:

They are perfect for bourbons, single malts, and all around good whiskeys. They provide the perfect surface area without watering down the liquor. Highly reccomended. I've since come across them in fine cocktail establishments like Little Branch in NYC, Bar and Books in Prague, Milk and Honey in London, and Experimental Cocktail Club in Paris... and lastly, in my kitchen.

Drink bourbon! Enjoy!
    I still call it The Jake.

Bourbon? Meh, no thanks. Fine people, but not their local pour. Sorry.

I mean you can taste the corn most times. Next time, close your eyes, open your minds, and look for the bright corn syrup flavor. Then prepare to gag +spit up.

At best, maybe in a majorly-kickass cocktail. But not straight up. And instead, that corn coulda been used to make more gasahol/e85.

I prefer Johnnie Black. It is good.

Edit to add: 'good thread'

I'm glad to see somebody brought up the Basil Haden's and the Eagle Rare. Both excellent bourbons...

Quote Originally Posted by Twoplanker View Post
    I've been giving this Utah Whiskey a try. Two bottles down and I like it:

http://highwestdistillery.com/

RENDEZVOUS RYE WHISKEY
    Winner of the Double Gold
    San Francisco World Spirits
    Competition 2008 (read more...)
    Glad to hear High West is getting some love. Always keep a bottle of the rendezvous rye on hand for the winter months - too spicy for summer drinking IMO.
    Their bar makes excellent whiskey lemonades for hot summer days and their distillers just recently finished up on the western oat silver whiskey:

Ummmmm.....Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey. Smokey, a touch of molasses, dry, chewey.....delish. SERVED NEAT.
    A must try for you small batch lovers out there. Had to special order it in to my local juice stand direct from Colorado.

Damn that shit is good.
    Fats-

Quote Originally Posted by WICS View Post
    Bourbon? Meh, no thanks. Fine people, but not their local pour. Sorry.

I mean you can taste the corn most times. Next time, close your eyes, open your minds, and look for the bright corn syrup flavor. Then prepare to gag +spit up.

At best, maybe in a majorly-kickass cocktail. But not straight up. And instead, that corn coulda been used to make more gasahol/e85.

I prefer Johnnie Black. It is good.

Edit to add: 'good thread'

You really would rather have your corn make ethanol as opposed to whiskey?
    Im not really a huge fan of ethanol. And I have too much of a buzz to explain why.

Some of my favorite's right now include the following, (be gentle, I am still kinda bumming in my life, so price is a bit of an issue)

In no particular order

Makers mark
    Bulleit
    Bookers
    Buffalo Trace
    Wild Turkey

I do plan on trying some of the nicer stuff this weekend from my local shop
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

I might as well add my 2cents. Currently I am sipping on a Makers with a splash of ginger ale. Bourbon and ginger has been a favorite for a few years.

The small batch bottles: Stranahans and Colorado Straight Bourbon are sweet! Knob Creek/Blantons/Bookers are also personal favorites but like the two above just a touch pricey except for special occasions. Even though some will say mixing any of the above is blasphemy. I think the way to go with bourbon is: rocks glass, ice, three fingers of bourbon and ginger ale to taste.

So IMO I like to have a bottle of Makers or a bottle of Bulliet handy to satisfy the bourbon and ginger fix. On special occasions the good stuff comes out and its is game on!

some good advice - some horrible in here. If you want to have a Crown and Coke or a Jack and Diet....thats great, but don't tell yourself you're drinking whiskey.

To my friends that get started, and want to develop a taste, I suggest they start with a glass of Basil Haydens, with a splash of water and a couple of chilled Whiskey rocks. That to me is a great introduction to quality bourbon that is drinkable and semi-unique (small batch).

My new favorite whiskey, introduced to me over the weekend. George Dickel No. 12. Can't get it in the Utah state stores, it was bootlegged from Evanston. Damn tasty sippin whiskey.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	product-no12.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	96250

Laphroaig Quarter Cask is one I stumbled across this winter. As an Ardbeg lover, it was almost painful, yet not quite, to find something even gooder, just more intensely gooder than Ardbeg´s 10. Highly recommended! http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-3414.aspx

I ordered a Laphroaig 10yo cask strength because of it. Heard it´s even gooder!

I heart Laphoaig, especially the 15. I scored a bottle on the cheap when a liquor store was going out of business.

That said, Ardbeg Nam Beist is even more yummy in my tummy.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Quote Originally Posted by crackboy View Post
    So been thinking about getting into drinking some whiskey/whisky.

I know pretty much nothing about it, and since i am sure many of you have that knowledge i come to you for some help

i need a game plan
    First of all whiskey means different things to different people.
    Whiskey can be scotch, bourbon, sour mash or a blended bourbon/scotch.

Start with a bourbon and Ginger ale or bourbon and coke. Jim beam is about as middle of the road a bourbon you can get. Sorta on the sweeter side. Try Jack Daniels, a little less sweet to some. jack and me tend to get in trouble together for some reason, so we don't hang often.

From there start trying some of the small batch bourbons over a couple cubes of ice. Chilled is easier to start your bourbon journey. Russells reserve, jb weller, rare eagle, , makers mark, buffalo trace ... All nice very smooth and on the sweeter side of bourbons. There's a great bourbon thread here on TGR already.

Scotch is a different animal all together and much harder to acquire a taste for in my opinion, but there are many I like. lots of them tend to be on the lighter side of taste as scotch goes.

Blended is Crown Royal, Canadian Mist .....

You just need to belly up to the bar and say bar tender give me a. .... And you're off to the races.
    "You damn colonials and your herds of tax write off dressage ponies". PNWBrit

Was looking for a Whisky called "Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye" that won the "World Whisky of The year" award. ... Sold out everywhere ...

http://business.financialpost.com/ne...ker-created-it

News of the win came out a few weeks ago and it has sold out of every store in Canada.

The manager of the store suggested I try the one that won 2014 Canadian Whisly of The year in 2014, Canadian Club 'Chairman' Select 100% Rye.

It is $24 a 750ml bottle. sold.

Hmmm. Tasted like crap yesterday. Today after a ski, some grapes and a dark chocolate, I poured some in a tumbler and added one large ice cube.

Amazing. Probably the best I have ever tasted. Super complex smell and very nice in the mouth with only a slight burn going down. It was incredible how complex and deep the smell and flavour was. Not quite sure why it seemed like a different liquid the first time around, perhaps it was the many small useless, semi-frozen ice-cubes that made it into the glass the first time.

This is my second Canadian Rye Whisky. I am actually impressed. I probably just insulted the tast of real Whisky connoisseurs!

https://www.reddit.com/r/worldwhisky...elect_100_rye/

Last edited by puregravity; 12-17-2015 at 01:06 AM.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    Was looking for a Whisky called "Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye" that won the "World Whisky of The year" award. ... Sold out everywhere ...

http://business.financialpost.com/ne...ker-created-it

News of the win came out a few weeks ago and it has sold out of every store in Canada.

The manager of the store suggested I try the one that won 2014 Canadian Whisly of The year in 2014, Canadian Club 'Chairman' Select 100% Rye.

It is $24 a 750ml bottle. sold.

Hmmm. Tasted like crap yesterday. Today after a ski, some grapes and a dark chocolate, I poured some in a tumbler and added one large ice cube.

Amazing. Probably the best I have ever tasted. Super complex smell and very nice in the mouth with only a slight burn going down. It was incredible how complex and deep the smell and flavour was. Not quite sure why it seemed like a different liquid the first time around, perhaps it was the many small useless, semi-frozen ice-cubes that made it into the glass the first time.

This is my second Canadian Rye Whisky. I am actually impressed. I probably just insulted the tast of real Whisky connoisseurs!

https://www.reddit.com/r/worldwhisky...elect_100_rye/

I work in the liq business here in Seattle and we have plenty of the CR Rye in stock. Try Russell's Rsrv Rye or the Single Barrel if you can find if.

And don't forget the ginger ale!

If you like Canadian rye, look for Masterson's, Whistle Pig, and/or Lot 40 - all excellent, highly recommended.

Ain't nothing wrong with Canadian rye.

$53 at my local Costco

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    $53 at my local Costco

^Also excellent - sort of reminds me of Stranahan's.

Consider this thread revived! Thanks for the Costco and Seattle sourced Whisky suggestions. Gonna get me some the next time we get to stay 48 hrs across the border and can return with liquor without paying 100% duty on it. (Thanks Canada for your exorbitant duty and taxes on liquor!)
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Should you ever ski in Haines, this locale's rye will help you like whiskey:

http://www.portchilkootdistillery.com/#alaska-bottled-2

A good friend of mine is into scotch and I owed him one, so I picked up a bottle of this for him yesterday as a Christmas present.

The crown royal northern harvest is decent, but it's a whole lot of hoopla about nothing, in my opinion. That chairman select, however, is the real deal. It's my favorite at the price point. Also look into forty Creek barrel select or copper pot reserve. Both are blended rye and very reasonably priced. Dunno about US availability though.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Wonder if the OP is old enough to legally buy brown liquor yet?
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).