Page 32 of 82 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast
    Turner took this from the summit of Borah this fall. Having enjoyed views from most of the named summits, I labeled them. Awesome views those.
    Old and Getting Older........
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

.....go out and make this season the best season of your life. Ski that line, take that trip, slide that rail, make that leap, live for the moment, and make memories with friends that’ll last a lifetime, because as a great man once said, “If you don’t do it this year, you’ll be one year older when you do.”

-Mike Rogge

Went and cut another load of wood. Bracing for the much predicted big ass winter.

Right now, this is what it is.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

.....go out and make this season the best season of your life. Ski that line, take that trip, slide that rail, make that leap, live for the moment, and make memories with friends that’ll last a lifetime, because as a great man once said, “If you don’t do it this year, you’ll be one year older when you do.”

-Mike Rogge

Wow. I hardly know what to say...

I have gone through this entire thread over the past handfull of days and cannot believe I did not find it sooner. I feel as though I have just read a gripping novel, great stuff. Especially happy to hear that your son and his girl are doing better. Also amazing that you pulled through Jan. 15th a couple years back. On top of that the pictures you take are so good. Good in the sense that they transport you to the time and place they were taken. Sure some of them may not be "technically" perfect but to me that is not what matters. Your combo of pictures and narration is something seldom found in today's media.

Keep up the good life, the good photos and please keep updating this thread. I also live in a beautiful part of the world and try to bring my camera with me everywhere but this thread has inspired me to take even more time to notice the little things and take even more pictures of what is around me.

All the best LBL!

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastdan View Post

I have gone through this entire thread over the past handfull of days and cannot believe I did not find it sooner. I feel as though I have just read a gripping novel, great stuff. Especially happy to hear that your son and his girl are doing better. Also amazing that you pulled through Jan. 15th a couple years back. On top of that the pictures you take are so good. Good in the sense that they transport you to the time and place they were taken. Sure some of them may not be "technically" perfect but to me that is not what matters. Your combo of pictures and narration is something seldom found in today's media.

Keep up the good life, the good photos and please keep updating this thread. I also live in a beautiful part of the world and try to bring my camera with me everywhere but this thread has inspired me to take even more time to notice the little things and take even more pictures of what is around me.

All the best LBL!
    amen, dan --
    JB has carried me through some dark days ... through this thread .

... And this year, He has a season pass at 'Gee !

Ride like the wind, LBL ! !!

tj

Sweet locations and nice pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastdan View Post

All the best LBL!
    Hey thanks, and sorry it took so long to respond. Just home from two weeks in the oil fields. Two on, Two off. So time to unwind and get some me time to recover from two weeks of hell.

Spent a bit of time on the way home to chill and have a short photo session up in the Winds just south of Dubois. Incredible country. Let my photos do the talking.

Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

I have posted this shot before, but I thought I would post it again. I like this one a bunch, and who knows where it is buried in this thread. So here it is again.

I did leave this page (TGR) up on the desktop at home last time I left for Wyoming. The wife found it. She casually mentioned out of nowhere that "I read back to page 17." That's all she said, but I immediately knew what she meant. She knew nothing about this thread till she saw it up on the screen after I was long gone.

A little strange her reading this. She is a wonderful person, but the outdoors/wilderness/backcountry thing isn't her thing. She has other interests, and that is ok. No big deal.

So..... back to the regular shannel.....

Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

I know. I had to go look at page 17 too..... it is just after I had the heart attack in 2012 stuff. I'm sure she will go on, if she can find it again. Hah!

Out in the yard a few minutes ago...

Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Tate @Targhee Today.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Great stuff as always LBL, thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksyrium View Post
    Great stuff as always LBL, thanks for posting.
    And thank you for looking!

Forgot to mention, way back at Fathers Day, my middle son, Tate, posted a photo on his Instagram page, a shot of me at Targhee a few years ago. POW liked it and so much so they sent both him and I a full set of ass kickingly good head to toe base layers. Worth several hundred dollars.
    http://ink361.com/app/users/ig-32447...0238_324477268

This is the photo of me...
    http://ink361.com/app/users/ig-32447...8607_324477268

Read what it says.... did I do good raising this one?

Firewood all cut and stacked. We love it!
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

The season....
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Though they need more snow to open, Targhee certainly doable.

Turner today.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

The first turns of the year for Turner and I. Hiked part way up Fred's today​, threw the board down, tightened my boots, strapped in and just like every year I wondered to myself...."Do I still know how to do this?" The answer is yes. I do. Having just turned 60, that's not bad.

Couple of shots of my eldest son, Turner.

Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

The hill. Looking good.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

As some of you may have seen yesterday......Tetons were awesome as hell.

They're awesome everyday.
    Last edited by Little Big Lost; 11-14-2015 at 06:45 PM.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/579/22...23c7dc8d_h.jpg
    Above photo. Make it your desktop background for a day, or as long as you want. Or not. Taken yesterday. 11/13/15
    Last edited by Little Big Lost; 11-14-2015 at 05:02 PM.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Incredible . Words, or even this photo can't really convey the reality.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

I have added to, and made some small changes, mostly grammatical errors. I am from Idaho, and slowly turning into a hick. Added some photos also.

Just bits an' pieces....

I was born in Idaho Falls. 1955. Seems a long time ago now. Earliest memories were of traveling. A lot.

Early 60’s - Salt Lake City Utah, Des Moines Iowa, Birmingham Alabama, Farmington New Mexico, Truckee and Bakersfield California. There are more places but my memory has been blurred from all the years gone by.

Me in California somewhere...

Next, father took a job with MK and the Minutemen Missile silos on the plains east of Rapid City. Father divorced Mother at this time. She stayed in SD and he took a position in the Netherlands. I am shuffled back and forth, Dad, Mom, Dad, Mom…..I cross the Atlantic more times than I can remember, a seasoned traveler at an early age. Holland……I remember listening to Radio Veronica, Bus Stop by the Hollies in particular, playing while the construction workers played soccer in the street below our apartment at noon.

Mother can no longer afford, or just doesn’t want to take care of me after a while, so I spend time with Grandparents in Idaho instead.

I attend school in the Netherlands, and spend my summers in Idaho with grandpa and grandma. Strict schooling for most of the year and then almost total freedom for 3 months. In Holland I was viewed as the heathen from the Wild West, in Idaho I was the flatlander who was way too cultured.

One of the schools I attended, Eerde, was by far the most influential of all the schools I attended. An international boarding school, where about 50 students out of around a hundred total were from the Netherlands. The rest, including myself were from far flung places around the world. This is where I gained my ability to see the world as it is lived by "other people". Eye opener for sure. I think I described the school somewhere in this thread....
    I'm in there somewhere...

Holland was green. It was, for lack of a better word, tidy. Small, well kept lawns. Fences painted. People had manners. You were required to use them.

Father married a Dutch girl, Wilhemina Relena Pietersma. Blond. We lived in den Hague.

Monique the flower girl, I can still remember her name, though I can't remember who she was. Stepmother, father and my brother.

We also lived in Staaphorst, Meppel, Assen and then Ommen.

The Hauge, what a cool place really, we lived in some apartments not far from the ocean (North Sea) with it's accompanying sand dunes. Cool bike paths wind around them for miles.

Staaphorst. A quaint old village of predominately Orthodox Calvinists.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staphorst

My brother (l) and I in Staphorst, our (step) aunt, Joke Brink's backyard,

Assen. The home of my stepmother's parents. Opa en Oma.

Two week in Spain. Beaches. Hot sand. Gibraltar. I saw Africa from there. The road to Rhonda…..amazing!

London, all the time. Belgium… Ardennes and the site(s) of the Battle of the Bulge. Amsterdam now and again.

My times in Idaho were days made in heaven. Splitting wood, bucking hay, moving sprinkler pipe. It was not all work, there were days of exploration. Days of adventure. Built a tree house out over the Snake River. Climbed every hill within five miles of home, Rode bikes down the steepest of paved roads, on the handlebars. Forded the Snake. Fished every evening. Picnics. Target practice with the bow. BB Gun wars. Learned about gun safety the hard way. Learned to swim. Like a fish.

It was a mile to the small store. I would walk it looking for pop bottles. Always found enough to trade in and buy a soda and a candy bar, and still have change.

Back to Ommen for a school year and then and then the summer in Idaho again. Moved to Bangkok. Not in Kansas anymore……

We were required to leave the country every 3 months to renew our visas for the two years we were there.
    Laos. Visited Vientiane once, Very cool.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vientiane

Malaysia, Singapore. A two year adventure. The war was still raging in Vietnam. Klongs and open markets. Sukhumvit Highway. Pattaya before it became notorious. Snakes and lizards….. everywhere.

Flew back to Holland, brief stops in Karachi, Beirut, Rome.

Holland for a couple more years. Had a good friend who was a diplomat’s son. We traveled to Germany many, many times to stay at his parents place. Train ride there and back, an adventure all its own. Passed by the Koln Cathedral each time, usually at night. Very cool. http://www.anicursor.com/koeln778.jpg
    Backpacked from Bonn to Trier.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porta_...Nigra_BW_1.JPG
    Spent an afternoon watching cars race around the Nurburgring https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%B...rgring_lap.jpg

Then 2 weeks in Norway with my father in 1969. The trip through Denmark fascinating. The coast around Hirtshals seemed remote and smelled of fish. Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin landed on the moon while we were on the ferry across the Skagerrak. Watched McKennas Gold in a theatre in Kristiandsand.

Then home to Idaho in 1973. A trip around the world that took years. All this before my 18th birthday.

Then several years of odd jobs and good times in Idaho. Backpacked and hiked most of the state. Floated the rivers before it became commercial. Hitchhiked to Seattle, found a construction job and worked all over the state. Good Times!

Traveled to Texas and roofed houses for a while. Hot, and though I could handle it, I missed the mountains. Decided Texas wasn’t for me.

Back to Idaho for a short while.

Got a job offer in Johannesburg. Off on another adventure. Met my future wife the first day I was there.

The four years I lived in SA were the best years of my life.

We both made good money. Lived modestly. And traveled. Got out into the bundu. Met real Africans. Climbed several times in the Drakensberg.

Sani Pass. Tugela Falls, the 2nd highest on the planet. We spent weeks on the wild coast. Eastern Transvaal.

What a place.

Sudwalla Caves. Lisbon Falls and countless others . Threw 100’s of pounds of candy to the native children. Bought their crude works of art, still my most precious mementos of my years there.

My wife in Zimbabwe, +-1961

Wife's family history reads like Out of Africa. Grandparent leaving England (Isle of Mann and Liverpool) in the early 1900's to move to Kenya. Worked on the coffee plantations and then ventured to SA (Durban) to work in the sugar cane industry. Found out quite recently that the grandfather had a second family from Kenya that he abandoned and left behind.

This is him in Durban around 1945, on the way to the horse racing events staged each weekend there.

Brought my bride home to Idaho. She cried for a week. “What have I done?” she thought to herself.

She fits right in now. Became a US citizen. She travels home every few years, and we allow one of the children to go along each time. Vacation for her and one of the kids. I mostly stay home, and that’s OK. Got my climbing and snowboarding to occupy my time.

When the kids are grown and on their own… well who knows? The whole world is out there…….South America perhaps……or India, always wanted to travel India.

Now this boring tale doesn't include my drug smuggling and life of crime, I will leave that for those to read...... now.

We made a trip to KwaZulu along the coast and my brother disappears into the jungle, to reappear with a suitcase of some good shit. We then smuggled 10lbs of that Durban Poison, from SA to Idaho through JFK. Was going to sell it. Ended up smoking it all. That is as criminal as I get.

I'll keep updating as time allows.
    Last edited by Little Big Lost; 11-19-2015 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Spelling corrections
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

I am headed for the oilfields Tuesday morning, after I get back in a couple of weeks I'll get some winter stoke posted. The boys will have had a week or two head start and probably have a shot or two they would like to share. If you see them up at Targhee, tell them Dad says to have fun and be safe.

Till then, you have fun and be safe on the hills, whether you're lift served or in the back country. Tear it up!!
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo1 View Post
    awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks man. Appreciated!

The boys tore it up over the weekend up to Targhee. Turner said it was sick. Trent ended up hyper extending his left elbow. Doing backflips. Doctor wrapped it, put him in a sling and referred him to a specialist. Don't know if there is any damage yet. Bummer.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Ulnar Collateral Ligament Tear. That is what an MRI revealed. He'll be six weeks in a brace. Still going snowboarding.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Returned home. Took some photos along the way.
    Venus.

Ok....short story. Woke up Monday, did two loads of oil while enduring awful conditions. Again. The majority of the two week shift was a shitshow of cold, wind and snow. Incredibly brutal conditions in remote locations. Hwy 59 goes north out of Douglas and a warning signs says "No Gas for 75 Miles". We then usually drive 10 to 15 miles on gravel roads to well locations. So you get the picture.

After my two loads I pack and head for home at around 10:30pm Monday night. I hit freezing fog a little out of Casper and it lasts for 150 miles. Sub Zero temps and ice messed with my cooling/heating system to the point where it was blowing out cold air from the vents. Every 20 miles or so I would have to stop and let the engine warm back up and melt the ice.

Orion raced me across the incredibly clear sky, eventually winning the competition as it sank behind the Tetons at sunrise.

Listened to this track while cruising the pass. Goosebumps. Big, sleep deprived, but as alert as hell bigass goosebumps. Guster - Satelite
    https://youtu.be/6fJn2MDhqpY

I am home.

Through the windshield.

Togwotee Pass. 4am. Not a soul around. Spent an hour taking photos. Not a single car went by.
    Last edited by Little Big Lost; 12-02-2015 at 09:51 PM.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Send some of that snow up North!