Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

TR: Mt. Sneffels (5-26-2008)

Mt. Sneffels (14,150')
    5-26-2008
    Frank, mtnbikerskierchick

After skiing Missouri on Saturday, I headed over to Crested Butte for a day of rest. The weather was still a bit unstable and we were debating between hitting Sneffels or Wetterhorn on Monday. After skiing powder on the north face of Missouri, we'd hoped that the north-facing Snake couloir on Sneffels would also be stacked with fresh snow. So, on Sunday afternoon we headed south to Sneffels!

In November of 2006, goldenboy and I attempted Sneffels. However, weather and snow conditions were not in our favor. We reached the top of the Col Couloir, and didn't have crampons. There was a crux that we could not get past. So, we turned around about 100' from the summit. Sneffels had to wait until later...

From the north, Sneffels appears as the most prominent peak in the San Juans.

On the way to Sneffels we passed through the beautiful town of Ouray, one of my most favorite towns in Colorado.

The road up to the Sneffels trailhead is adventurous itself.

Higher up the road, evidence of the huge San Juan winter was everywhere. The season's continuous avalanches took a toll on the forest's old trees.

This slide path was new. If you look past the first few trees you can see the path all the way up to the top of the mountain. The slide took a turn to the right before crossing the road.

Higher up, snow was plentiful. We were thankful that they had plowed the road!

We lucked out, as the road was plowed nearly to the trailhead.

The next morning we woke up to clouds and wind. Lots of wind. The poor weather sucked away our early-morning motivation, and we didn't start out until 6:45 am.

This picture says it all. The San Juans have a LOT of snow.

I truly can't believe they plowed this road!

Skinning up Yankee Boy Basin.

The clouds may have obstructed some of the scenery, but they did provide some amazing light.

View of the Birthday Chutes off the southwest side of Sneffels.

Our original intention was to climb the Birthday Chutes to the summit. But the winds were still high. So, we opted for the easier Lavendar Col route. We were able to skin nearly to to Col before switching over to boot packing.

goldenboy on the Col, bracing after the wind knocked him down.

MBSC climbing up the Col Couloir.

goldenboy.

This picture shows the crux at the top of the couloir that stopped us in November, 2006. On that trip the snow prevented us from being able to climb it. On this trip, the snow made it easier to climb. Thankfully, previous users had blazed the trail and the steps were solid.

On the summit!

Telluride looks like it should still be open for skiing!

Wilson Group.

The San Juans are still a sea of snow. Here it is still winter.

View north, to the green valley, where it is spring.
    Last edited by mtnbikerskierchick; 05-27-2008 at 10:32 PM.
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

We wanted to ski the Snake Couloir, but when we arrived at the summit the wind was howling, knocking us down to the ground. The Snake requires a rappel. With the high winds, the thought of dealing with a rope and harness seemed impossible. So we opted to descend down the Birthday Chutes instead.

Looking down the Snake. Recent tracks can be seen.

Putting my skis on at the top of the summit was one of my more scarier experiences. I was scared the wind would blow my skis right on over into the Snake Couloir, and I was afraid the wind would carry me with my skis. goldenboy accidentally snapped a picture of me getting blown over by the wind just after putting on my skis.

Once we dropped down into the Birthday Chutes, we were more protected from the wind.

The conditions were a bit icy at times, and we became the king and queen of jump turns!

Some guys like to flex their muscles. But, goldenboy likes to flex his skis.

MBSC.

goldenboy.

goldenboy skiing in Yankee Boy Basin.

We were back to the car before 11:15 am, making it a 4.5 hr 3,600' vert day! I wish all the fourteeners could be done in under 5 hours
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

wow, you guys have had an amazing spring. Nice work!!!!
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

you guys' level of radness is unquantifyable.....or something like that.

can't believe how fast you guys are running through these things. ridiculous. super props.
    my dog sheds the gnar.

Solid TR. Looks like a good day.

4.5 hours holy moly thats a quick one. great pics, thanks for sharing!

Nice work!!!
    The San Juans is where it's at. Beautiful scenery wherever you look.

Well done.

Shame about the cloud cover but it was certainly hard to avoid last weekend.

Liking this one:

Nice work B! Looks like fun! Climbed Sneffels in the summer once - wish I would have skied it.
    Ride Fast, Live slow.

We're mountain people. This is what we do, this is how we live. -D.C.

Awesome! Keep up the strong work.
    Have fun or get hurt bad. "MFT" A.K.A. Dr. Doom

There are but three true sports--bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. "Ernest Hemingway"

Damn I wish I friends like this. [/desperate and pathetic]

That was a great TR!

How much for an acre strip between the fence and the trees?
    Life is not lift served.

Just keep knocking them out!

Great pictures especially with the cloud cover. I imagine Sneffels is more fun without the climb out and a plowed road.

this pic is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

"It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Heck yuh! I wanna go next time!
    "If your not livin on the edge then you are taking up to much space"

hells yeah. nice work you two.
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

mucho bueno
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

is your ascent route the traditional summer hiking route? It looks familiar, but I last climbed Sneffels over 10 years ago, and it didn't have all that snow on it.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Very nice trip and TR! Way to go!

Most excellent...
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

MSBC and Golden Boy.

Kind of a lame question, but what's in your pack for these trips nowadays? I mean, after 50+ 14ers, I imagine you have your nutrition and gear and water supply down to a T. If you care to share, I'd be way interested.

-SM
    looking for a good book? check out mine! as fast as it is gone

Well, I've always wondered what it looked like from the top of that mountain looking towards Telluride.....now I know!

Danno- Yeah, that's the summer route that we climbed. The hike up to the col in summer sucks, though- nasty "two steps forward, one step back" scree.

Quote Originally Posted by stupendous man View Post
    MSBC and Golden Boy.

Kind of a lame question, but what's in your pack for these trips nowadays? I mean, after 50+ 14ers, I imagine you have your nutrition and gear and water supply down to a T. If you care to share, I'd be way interested.

-SM

Here's what was in my pack:
    shovel
    probe
    leatherman
    2 Nalgenes (I got tired of freezing camelbaks and went back to bottles years ago)
    2 axes (personal preference thing, one axe would be plenty in a lot of cases)
    Camp 390 aluminum crampons (Super psyched on these this year. One third the weight of my Sabretooths, and they've been holding up really well)
    skins
    sunhat
    sunscreen
    1st aid stuff
    couple of extra straps
    etc

Since we were planning on rapping into the snake, I also had a rope (7.8,60m)/harness/webbing on this one.

Food, I'm a huge fan of Gu. It's the only thing that puts me right if I'm spent. Then there's bars, beef jerky, cheese, dried mango, candy bars, trail mix, every once in a while a sandwich, etc.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things, but that's the gist of it. I tend to go fairly light outside of my ski/binding/boot, lots of people bring a lot more stuff than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    is your ascent route the traditional summer hiking route? It looks familiar, but I last climbed Sneffels over 10 years ago, and it didn't have all that snow on it.
    Yes, we did ascend using the typical summer route: Via the Lavendar Col from Yankee Boy Basin.

Quote Originally Posted by stupendous man View Post
    MSBC and Golden Boy.

-SM
    I pretty much pack everything. More than I need, because it sucks when I do need it and don't have it.

Always in my pack: emergeny blanket, multitool/knife, glob stopper, glide wax, sunglasses, goggles, hat, sunhat as spring progresses, sunscreen, camera, helmet, extra pair of mittens or gloves (depending on season- hiking in gloves can make them get really wet and cold), glove liners, head lamp (on every trip! You never know when you'll get nighted), water purification tablets for emergency, duct tape (a whole role, I never skimp, and many have been thankful), light puffy (even in June I've gotten caught in some of the worst blizzards where I need this), first aid kit (mostly with pills like Immodium, IB Profen, Benedryl), avy gear (shovel, probe), extra batteries (for camera, beacon, headlamp).

crampons: I have been screwed a couple of times by not bringing crampons so even when I don't think I need them, I bring them usually- I have CAMP crampons which are VERY light.

ice axes: usually bring one just in case. If I know the climb could be tricky, I bring two.

Skins: of course, usually bring those except for later in the season or for really short trips.

Hiking shoes: in spring, if I know the route will be on a lot of dirt. I hate hiking in AT boots

Water: I always bring at least 2 Liters of water. Long days I bring up to 4 L of water.

Food: I have been mixing it up lately. I can barely stand energy bars anymore. I have eaten far too many of them. So, I go with cookies, Snickers bars. Teddy Grahams. On longer days I need more than just sugar energy, so I'll put in string cheese, pepperoni, and Thomas's mini-bagels.

I think that pretty much covers everything. Let me know if you have more questions.
    -
    14erskiers.com

Sarah and I were skiing up on Red Mt. Pass that day and the wind on the ridge was atrocious. I can only imagine how bad it was even higher up. Good tick, and thanks for the continuing stoke.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague