Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!

Today I fell in love with the Brockers

I had the pleasure of skiing on the 186 Brockers today, Memorial Day, at Mammoth. I started with them in what they were primarily designed for - powder. (Mammoth had at least a foot of powder in most places on the upper mountain. Some areas may have been closer to two feet. There were also a few slides which allowed for the choices of cleared-off or avy debris.
    The snow also changed throughout the day as the sun came out at times.)

Skiing the Brockers in pow produced multiple snowgasms.
    I felt comfortable doing any turn shape I desired.
    Also for me, I didn't really feel like I needed to adjust my technique with these skis (others have said they felt different, but I felt right at home on the Brockers.)
    I also skied on my 179s as well as the 192 Brohemoths today.
    I started the day on the 179s and when I switched to the 186 Brockers it didn't feel like I was on a longer ski.
    Later in the day I tried the 192 Brohemoths for a couple of runs. They were a lot of ski for me (If you are bigger, stronger, have better technique, love to haul ass, and/or are considering entering comps, you might want to get on the 192s.) (BTW - I'm 5'10" 180 lbs.)
    Then I got back on the Brockers. Bliss.
    They felt great in a variety of conditions - mank, soft bumps, gaper-scraped groomers, corn, tracked out pow, and a few untracked turns in secret stashes. These could actually be used as an everyday ski out west. (East coast skiers might want to look at the 195 Super Bros.)

Feel free to ask me any specific questions about the Brockers.
    I know what my next pair of skis will be.

sounds like you had a good day, 2ft of pow, thaught it was summer?....

I have had the pleasure of skiing the Brockers all season long, and I can reiterate that they do indeed kick ass. They're the closest thing I've found to a one-ski quiver for sure. As mentioned above, compared the the 192, they have a speed limit. That said, their speed limit is pretty fucking fast. I've found that they ski a little short on hardpack, due to their rocker, but you can still rail turns at speed no problem. Once you get them in snow deep enough to engage the rockered tip (2-3" or more), they feel like they ski short because they are so easy to turn, but they provide the support and stability of a regular 186.

I took a few days to get used to them. At first I thought that they were too short for me, but then I realized that they only felt small. Once you get over the mental hangup and learn to trust them, they won't let you down anywhere, in any conditions (I've skied them in everything). I seriously can't say enough about this ski. If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me.

I want 'em, I want 'em, I want 'em, I want 'em, I want 'em, I want 'em, I want 'em!!!!

That is all
    "When the mountains speak, wise men listen" -John Muir

Vets/Always wright,Are you skiing the carbon-fiber version of the Brockers?  Apparently that's the lighter and more expensive model?  Have been seriously torn between the Brockers and Praxis Powder RX which are almost identical in dimensions.  Pulled the trigger on the Praxis but definitely want to try them side by side with the Brockers...Would you have wished for more length..perhaps 190ish?

Quote Originally Posted by KungFu Eddie View Post
    I want 'em, I want 'em, I want 'em, I want 'em, I want 'em, I want 'em, I want 'em!!!!

That is all
    2nd
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

Quote Originally Posted by locknload View Post
    Vets/Always wright,Are you skiing the carbon-fiber version of the Brockers? Apparently that's the lighter and more expensive model? Have been seriously torn between the Brockers and Praxis Powder RX which are almost identical in dimensions. Pulled the trigger on the Praxis but definitely want to try them side by side with the Brockers...Would you have wished for more length..perhaps 190ish?
    One thing to note is that the powder rx has a much wider tail that the brockers. The pintail on the brockers will drop the tail a little more, keeping the tips up that much better. Also, when making short turns, I personally love the: sink, form a platform, pop to the next turn feel. I think the pintail of the Brocker will enable that.

I didn't ski the Brockers this trip, but I can attest to the simple they put on vets' face. After skiing the late in the day mank on the 192's he switched to the Brockers and they did well in the mank, the little pow stashes we found late in the day, and the smooth run out back to The Mill.

I skied them two weeks ago in nice Sierra corn, and they did very well. I did not find them to be short at all, but I normally ski the 183.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Vets'll never get lonely with all those Bros around. I just have a wife and a couple pairs of Rossis, but not a Bro I can lean on.

Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!
    Quote Originally Posted by locknload View Post
    Vets/Always wright,Are you skiing the carbon-fiber version of the Brockers?  Apparently that's the lighter and more expensive model?  Have been seriously torn between the Brockers and Praxis Powder RX which are almost identical in dimensions.  Pulled the trigger on the Praxis but definitely want to try them side by side with the Brockers...Would you have wished for more length..perhaps 190ish?
    We need Splat to chime in on the construction of the Brockers I was on yesterday.
    Earlier in the season I skied some proto-brockers. They were pretty fun, but whatever changes Pechelman and Splat did to the core/construction/etc. were exactly what was needed to take the ski from pretty fun to abso-FKNA-lutley amazing.

My 179 Bros are a carbon fiber version that I also love. This ski seems to have better grip, liveliness, edgehold, and a smoother flex than the average Bro. Not that the average Bro is bad in any of those areas (I also have 183 stiffs.)

The 186 length on the Brockers feels perfect for me. They turn as easy as a shorter ski, but float and arc like a longer/bigger ski.

Splat has mentioned putting out a longer version of the Brocker, perhaps a 196 for those who are bigger or prefer a bigger ski.

Just as I mentally switch gears to summer fun, this review pops up! Guess I better start putting the pennies away to get me a pair by fall.

Cool Vets. I tried to get on the proto-brockers at Solitude but couldn't connect with guy who had em at the demo shop. They sound sweet...I really do wonder how they'll compare to the Praxis equivalent. XtrPickels made a good point about the slight difference in tail width and so that has me curious as well. I'm moving to San Diego this summer and will hopefully get up to Mammoth some. Perhaps we'll have to run some side by side tests with your Brockers and my POW RXs.....figure out which of these skis is the sickest once and for all....

My pair you skied was the carbon version, Vets. The carbon gives it a pop.
    The pintail allows you to swing it anywhere you want, while adding a slarving capability to it that will shapeshift through tight trees. Best thing about it is it's all-around capabilities on hard snow. That tip holds an unbelieveable edge when you need it and forces you to stay forward. I put Erica Z ( a self-admitted skid skier - we LOVE you EZ!) on the Brockers Friday and her form was instantly corrected. That was a trip. She had only carvacious form, standing up straight and leaning into the tips. That was cool to see the improvement immediately.

As for stiff snow edgehold:

^^That shot never gets old

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Some crappy brocker video stoke
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I miss Ootah and skiing with Dibs!
    I'm in the process right now of tuning up the Brockers to be even better.
    Looks like we might run two different rocker heights to have an AK/UT version with it rockin a lil higher and earlier.
    And based on some email exchanges I've had today, it looks like we'll do a Russian model for all the powhounds in Sochi.

Splat,

Where you manufacturing skis next year? Brocker is definitely interesing. Now i just need a knee that bends...
    He who has the most fun wins!

1 make it longer. 2. Reduce the pintail a little and i think you'll have a sickter ski.

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post

Splat, was that shot taken in utah? I think I recognize the trees
    Last edited by Phill; 05-28-2008 at 06:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Splat, was that shot taken in utah? I think I recognize the trees
    W/B, I'm pretty sure.

i forgot my smiley i was making a skidog reference
    Last edited by Phill; 05-29-2008 at 09:33 AM.

okay, i must be missing something (which isn't anything new).

granted i only managed to sneak on the Brockers at the mini for 3 runs off Stump Alley in Spring Corn-cum-Slush.

first run I ran them like my Spats: surfed and pivoted. They felt nimble and responsive in what I have often described as a "forklift" manuerverability.

after my first run both Splat and Hutash (I think or maybe it was SquirrelMurphy?) told me straight out to quit surfing and carve the mofos.

next run i did i tried my best to lay 'em down and get into it, but the tip kept flopping and making me uncomfortable. i'm not the best carver in the world by a longshot, so i'm chocking some uneasiness up to Operator Error.

third run I felt a little better laying into them, but the tip was still giving me problems in the slush fund.

i shoulda pressed Splat to ride 'em at Mammy this past weekend when we actually had a bit of the fresh cream, so as to get a different slant on 'em in some different conditions.

if in fact they corrected EZ's lazy steeze, then i need some of that!!!

PS
    I hope Infidel08 chimes in. He took 'em for a whirl and a cartwheel off Roger's...
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

If you ride the tail, the ski will ride you out of control, dookey. With a properly weighted forward stance, they are solid. Slush bumps are probably somewhat more difficult on them than just about every other condition, but only because the tip will flex and stall the ski for a millisecond when it gets in a trough or hits a big pile of glop, throwing your perception of what a regular ski would do into the mix. But it's not a regular ski. Sure, you can throw them around like a spat, but on edge, the Brockers are a screaming machine. I experience no flopping on them unless I'm up around 40 mph in the bumps. When you see and feel the tip flex come into play in soft snow, especially powder - and suddenly 'get it' - you'll shit your pants with joy and excitement. I'll give you a Brocker lesson this weekend if you're out. It's all in the carve...

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    Splat,

Where you manufacturing skis next year? Brocker is definitely interesing. Now i just need a knee that bends...

Probably US and Italy.

I got about three runs on the Brockers in anywhere from 6-8" of pow to chopped up thick sierra cement this past weekend at Mammoth. This was the first time I skied a ski of this type, so keep that in mind, as well as the fact that I am no expert. I normally ski the 179 BRO, and can attest to what Vets says that at 186 it doesn't feel longer at all. I felt more comfortable on the ski after the first run (pre-release and rag doll episode, not pretty), and started to get the feel for the ski. I did not have any "flopping" in the tips, as mentioned by Dookey, so maybe it was just the conditions that he had them in. It felt very stable in all conditions from the groomer we took to get to our pow stash and the slushy dirt covered run out. I think with a full day on this ski I would be echoing Vets, Splat, and the others who rave about this ski. In my quest to obtain the ultimate quiver, this will probably be my next ski. Got that Splat...you can expect an order from me...thanks again for the demo.

Splat. what size did you put EricaZ on?