New truck that smells like burning?

So, I got a new truck. First new vehicle I have ever owned. It only has like 150 miles on it, and today I drove it up flagstaff in Boulder and it smelled kinda like a burningish smell.

I just figured it was the new parts heating up on its first steep climb.

Normal for a new truck?

I think that smell has something to do with new brakes because I just got new ones for my jeep and I get the same smell every time I go up flagstaff

Had the same thing on my new truck, there is a chemical they put on the engine t keep it looking new. It burned off real quick, no worries. That was Nissan though, we had it checked out before we signed the papers. All is good now.

could be many things. Exhaust wrap burning a little. spilled oil burning away. rubber belts wearing in

doesnt sound too out of the ordinary
    Live

"SMELLS LIKE BURNING"

ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

Could be normal exhaust system (muffler/cat/exhaust gaskets) burning in as Samurai mentioned or something else.. What kind of burning smell? Check the headlight/dimmer switch for heat/smell if it smells electrical. Some vehicles have been known to have issues with the switches and thin gauge wiring. If that is the case, then there are companies that make aftermarket relay kits that one can install to take the current load off the switch and get more voltage to the headlight at the same time. Good Luck... Geo
    Last edited by mallege; 05-10-2008 at 11:37 PM.

damn you bossass you beat me to it.....

isn't it "it TASTES like burning" though?

PHish dude if it's a brand new ride i assume you have some sort of factory warranty right? i'd also guess it's just some stuff "warming up" but if it's something major you're probably covered by either the manufacturer and/or the dealership.....right?
    my dog sheds the gnar.

also, in my experience - while ascending hills, others are descending and riding their brakes, causing the burning plasticky smell.

I had some sort of smell when I got my new Taco 3 weeks ago. Couldn't notice it except when after it was parked in the garage for a while. I always had the same smell come off of new dirt bikes so I didn't think anything of it.
    The Worst mistakes, make the best memories.

Def not a brake burning smell, aka Georgetown Hill smell.

I have a 3 year warranty on everything and 5 year powertrain warranty. I'm sure I am just freaking a bit cause its brand new.

What transmission does it have?
    Since it is pretty new, its probably the teflon in the gears burning off, and the unit breaking in. Nothing to worry about, yet.

I can smell it

my subie used to make that smell driving from summit cove to the basin...I think it just has to do with the altitude in CO making the gas burn differently/smell differently....I could be 100% wrong on this. I wouldn't worry about it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Purveyor of Slack View Post
    Might have a winner here.
    My new taco also had some 'hot' smells. Stopped at around 1000 miles, or maybe before. I wouldn't sweat it. I did, however, try to break it in nice. Not holding constant speeds in first 1500, used cruise, but kept going a little faster, slower. Not slamming on the brakes, little warm up before departing, etc...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Pretty much all cars have a oil based rust preventer coating the exhaust and other engine parts, from the factory. It burns off as you drive the car, and faster if you load the engine driving up hills, generating more heat. Check where the smell is coming from, it should be off the exhaust and to a lesser extent under the hood.

Drove it like 120 miles up the mountains on Sunday. No more smell, and it ran like a fucking champ!

My fiance's Subie had the same smell the first few days we drove it... gone now. No need to worry.