Thread: WTB: New Car

WTB: New Car

Hey, Im currently driving a 1998 jeep cherokee sport with a 4.0L straight 6 and I love the car and its been great the relativly short time ive had it but with gas over a 1.30 a litre in vancouver im considering a more fuel efficient car. Now it doesnt have to been amazing on gas im just looking for somthing resonable. Obviously a no.1 concern is ability to handle winter road conditions so awd or 4x4 is a must. Im currently considering a subaru wrx but with the turbo and awd is that even going to be much better than the jeep? I would like a car as apposed to a wagon and I would like a bit of power.

Budget is about 15,000

Thanks

Good luck. There aren't many fuel efficient AWD choices: Toyota matrix AWD, Toyota RAV4, various Subarus. Most will be more than $15,000. If you're just going to Whistler then FWD with real snow tires is all you need.

if you're changing vehicles just for the fuel savings then a big change is in order. Saving 2 or 3 litres/100km doesn't add up to much over the year.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Thanks definatly need awd tho planning lots of road trips for skiing and lots of coke passes as well as just sea to sky.

If fuel efficiciency is importand,maybe you shouldnt look at the suv´s. Even Honda CR-V with its crappy 4wd eat quite a lot gaz.

But if you are not suv bound, then maybe VW Golf 4 motion or better a older VW Passat 4m/Syncro with Torsen could be your thing. Especially if you guys can get hold of a diesel one. Good machines unless you need to wade in 30cm+ snow all the time. If you do,well,you are about shafted. It is a suv then and with the raising gas prices...

Btw, what is you current litre price for gasoline in the states or canucistan atm? 0.60$? What about diesel? Just curious?
    We just about broke 1.5€ (2.25$?/1 L ) so wondering how everything has affected you.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

IMO if you are staying on the highway you just need 4 good snowtires ,I've run allover the north with and without .Yes AWD is nice but at highway speed with the 4runer I was not in 4x4 ,high center of gravity + short wheelbase = many chances to soil your shorts in a winter driving season compared to a good handling import AND since I traded in my 4-runer in 01 ,according to my math I saved 17,000$ on fuel with a TDi VW ... which is some real $$

when you get 55mpg you don't think about how much it costs to drive somewhere you just go

Diesal WAS about 12c a litre cheaper on average up north for most of the last 6years of my heavy driving schedule ,nowdays its about par with regular ,in the U.S. diesal is usually more expensive than regular
    Last edited by XXX-er; 05-10-2008 at 03:38 PM.

I love my WRX, but its not the most efficient 20mpg in the winter, 24 in the summer. Sorry, ive been taking upper level math and engineering finals all week, im burnt out from doing any math, including converting units
    Live

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    But if you are not suv bound, then maybe VW Golf 4 motion or better a older VW Passat 4m/Syncro with Torsen could be your thing. Especially if you guys can get hold of a diesel one. Good machines unless you need to wade in 30cm+ snow all the time. If you do,well,you are about shafted. It is a suv then and with the raising gas prices...

Btw, what is you current litre price for gasoline in the states or canucistan atm? 0.60$? What about diesel? Just curious?
    We just about broke 1.5€ (2.25$?/1 L ) so wondering how everything has affected you.
    4 motion with Diesel would be sweet but it's never been available in NA. It's one or the other.

Gas in Washington (state) is very close to $1/litre. In Abbotsford (east of Vancouver) it's $1.20. In Vancouver it's
    $1.33. Diesel is about 5 cents higher these days.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Legacy Turbo
    Legacy
    Outback sport
    The Ultimate winter car
    Outback LTD are great, good clearance, decent mileage, heated seats, heated windscreen, heated wing mirrors ETC.

I have a 2001 Impreza base model (ie; cheapest I could get) with Nokian WRs and used to ski Baker every weekend until I moved to Sparwood. The last 9 miles up Baker are probably the ultimate test for snowgoability. The Sube gets 34 mpg Canadian and is basically unstoppable .

Hugh Conway Guest
    Keep the jeep and buy a cheap 2wd econobox.

If the last 9 miles up to Baker are the ultimate test it's amazing what 2wd and some snows will do.......

Jeep Patriot Sport 4x4 5sp.

9.2 City
    7.3 Hwy.

It's the only small 4x4 that qualifies for the Eco-Auto program. Jeep just lowered the finance rates and added a nice cash back incentive.

Thanks for all the sugestions, i think im probably guna go with hughs sugestion and just get another car for less than 10 grand because my jeep would only sell for about 4-5k anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    when you get 55mpg you don't think about how much it costs to drive somewhere you just go
    The VW TDi gets 55mpg? For us Americans though, we would have to bring it in for Canada, right? That is a non-US car, right? 55mpg is amazing though.

well I AM talking about imperial gallons(4.5litres per imperial gallon) not those sissy fucking american gallons (3.8 litres per U.S.gallon )

The 99-05 TDi golfs,jettas & beetles (same platform ALL) were actualy rated at 64mpg if you drove the speed limit with an empty car but 240,000 kilometers later ,drivng 10km over the limit , with a thule box & bars,a trailer hitch bike rack and various stuff in the car ... 55mpg aint so bad

You can get diesel vw's here, I heard they're going to release their new engine that's going to do even better on the diesel gallon.