My shoulder surgery dear diary

I go in for an arthroscopic repair of a full posterior inferior tear on the 8th, after I turn in my last paper. Thanks to all the mags who had advice, doctor recs, and who shared their experiences and stories. I'm planning on developing my super smash habit, getting some long delayed reading in, and hitting PT hard. I'll be sure to post something unintelligble one-handed after surgery.

good luck dude! i'm about three weeks out from an open bankart repair and just started PT last week.

the shoulder has sucked MUCH worse than my ACL repair did a couple years ago.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

Had surgery on Thursday. Doc said my labrum wwas 'shredded' b/w 1-5 o'clock in the back - apparently it came all the way out when he manipulated it very easily, and that i had been holding it in w/ my rotator cuff and back muscles. Shoulder in immobilizer, but my pain level has not been above a 4 at all. Much easier to deal with this pain than hernia surgery... i like being able to walk w/o feelin like i'm kicked in the balls. Starting to dial back on the meds... went 8 hours b/w doses this morning. still typing w. one hand, which sucks, so i'm out.

Good luck mang - stick with the rehab exercises - prolly the most important thing about the whole deal

A little more than 2 weeks postop. I hate my sling, and it's caused all sorts of weird pain in my elbow/bicep/forearm from the weird arm out position all the time, but most of the pain in my shoulder is gone. The arm does feel incredibly fragile whenever it's out of the sling (typing, shower, etc.). I haven't taken a percocet for the shoulder in more than a week. In spite of all the "this is going to be super-painful," I actually was in very little pain. Stay on top of your pain meds for the first 2-3 days, and you'll be good.

I did, however, have a bad reaction to the Naproxen they gave me, starting last Sunday, when my entire mouth broke out into canker sores... not the one or two you can get from eating something sharp or hitting yourself with your toothbrush, but like 14 or 15, all over the inside of my mouth and all around the edges of my tongue. The last 2 are finally disappearing now.

I can't wait to actually get to do something productive for rehab, and take this thing off. I start preliminary rehab next Thursday, 3 full weeks post-op.

well you probably wont be doing anything you would consider 'productive' in PT next week. it's just going to be light stretching, light range of motion stuff and maybe some scar massage or ultrasound. most likely your PT for the next month will be like that. after your next doctors appt, you will probably start strengthening exercises.

i'm 6 weeks post op and just started strengthening exercises last week.

i got to hating the sling so bad i stopped wearing it after about three weeks. the doc said i should be in it for 6 weeks, but i was feeling ok so i ditched it. i think i was about 4 weeks out when i started riding my motorcycle. It's starting to get better for sure.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

Had rotator cuff and bicep done 4 yrs ago.Was in fuckin sling for almost 12 week before i could start therapy.Went in for rotator and thought PT in a couple weeks...Woke up and was told it was major and could not start PT for 10 to 12 weeks...sucked.
    I put forth this question and the question is,
    When i did your mother twice last nite did I get sloppy seconds ?????

Quote Originally Posted by seldon View Post
    A little more than 2 weeks postop. I hate my sling, and it's caused all sorts of weird pain in my elbow/bicep/forearm from the weird arm out position all the time, but most of the pain in my shoulder is gone. The arm does feel incredibly fragile whenever it's out of the sling (typing, shower, etc.). I haven't taken a percocet for the shoulder in more than a week. In spite of all the "this is going to be super-painful," I actually was in very little pain. Stay on top of your pain meds for the first 2-3 days, and you'll be good.

I did, however, have a bad reaction to the Naproxen they gave me, starting last Sunday, when my entire mouth broke out into canker sores... not the one or two you can get from eating something sharp or hitting yourself with your toothbrush, but like 14 or 15, all over the inside of my mouth and all around the edges of my tongue. The last 2 are finally disappearing now.

I can't wait to actually get to do something productive for rehab, and take this thing off. I start preliminary rehab next Thursday, 3 full weeks post-op.
    hey seldon - i'm exactly 1 week behind you- had open repair on my 2nd shoulder on the 15th. so still typimg 1-handed. (sorry) sucks about the naprosyn, i stopped taking it the 1st week because i was concerned about ulcers. now have switched off percocet and onto naprosyn in prep for retuning to work on tuesday.

my doc said it was ok to take the sling off occasionally to bend the elbow. when im watching tv or sitting somewhere for a while and dont have to move, i take the sling off and rest the arm in the lap, and bend/straifghen the elbow a bit. it feels heavenly. also now sleeping flat on back with a rolled up towel under my humerus, then pillows against my straight arm in strategic places so it doesn't flail out and i cant roll somehow and wrench it. getting out of bed in the am is a little painful, but it is really nice to get a break from the sling.

other times if i'm walking somewhere without the sling i'll just carry my arm with the other one.

hope this helps.

I'm getting shoulder surgery for my labrum. Ripped off the front half of it and have a minor tear in another section. My surgery is in august, so I won't be able to ski very hard next winter. Shitty.

Good luck with everything man I'll be sure to check in on this thread and possibly get an idea of what I'm going to have to go through.

Just curious how all the shoulder op folks are doin. I'm going in (bankart) prolly in august, doc says immobile for 5 weeks but that seems long for Arthro. and 5 MONTHS for full activity!? really? ACL repair didn't take that long...
    "When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
    Then I realised God doesn’t work that way, so I stole
    one and prayed for forgiveness." Emo Phillips

Hang in there! I had an open repair of my labrum and rotator cuff. 6 weeks in the sling, another 8-12 of rehab. I am now 3 years post, and my shoulder is BOMBPROOF. Just rehab like hell, and you will be fine.

Just DO NOT re-injure it.

Have been sailing on it for a bit over a month now - it's sore, it feels a bit fragile, I'm still not benching, but life is so much better than it was before. I'm very happy I had the surgery, and to be honest it really isn't so bad afterwards - totally more doable than the sports hernia surgery postop. A couple days of mild-medium pain was all for this one.