Cool TR: Central Gully and Sluice, Mount Washington, 2008-04-19

Skied Central Gully in Huntington Ravine followed by Sluice in Tuckerman Ravine.

Got back from Chamonix and b-lined straight for Central Gully on clusterf*ck day.

Parking was crazy and crowds were infinite on the Tuckerman Ravine Trail.

Once I turned off for Huntington Ravine, there was nobody. Made good time and reached the talus below Pinnacle by 10 am. Ran into Ben there. He was on a mission. We agreed to ski Central together. I booted up the line to check it out and met him at the top of the skiable section (30' below the drop in).

We skied one at a time down in about 6-8 inches of corn, sending good sloughs of corn continuously down the entire line. Nevertheless, a couple french Canadians were belaying the ice bulge with boot axe belays. (Il y a les extreme et les non extremes.) After waiting for the guy to winch the girl friend out of the way, we popped over the bulge and skied down.

Central is in basic condition due to the warm temps and full sun. Easy snow. Easy bulge. The line goes into the shade about 12:15 pm.

We booted back up the boot track on Central and continued higher to a point from which we could ski across the Alpine Garden. Melt out has pushed this line considerably higher than the Alpine Garden Trail (4 weeks ago).

After viewing the clusterf*ck from afar, with all kinds of antics on the Lip and the Chute, we opted for the Sluice. Nobody was on it. (Gee, maybe it's not so good for straight lining, especially with huge butt tracks down the middle!) Again, pretty basic.

Skied the Sherburne mogul run with about 3,800 of my closest friends. A couple of bare spots and mud holes, but holding up amazingly well.

Went to the lost and found to recover my anorak, gloves, and hat from an earlier mishap on Central and hit the road.

Skied all this on my 165 cm Black Diamond Kilowatts. They worked great in these corn conditions. I was worried they might be a little short, but stability wasn't a problem. However, I was coming pretty far off the snow on my jumpturns because I have been used to skiing heavier skis in deeper snow lately. The Kilowatts' size and agility really paid off on the Sherburne mogul run.

Central Gully, Huntington Ravine, April 19, 2008.

Ben takes the easy way, Huntington Ravine, April 19, 2008.

Snow climbers head for the summit, Huntington Ravine, April 19, 2008.

Ben styling on the steeps of Central Gully, Huntington Ravine, April 19, 2008.

Ben pushing some corn on Central, Gully Huntington Ravine, April 19, 2008.

Traffic jam as snow climbers boot-axe belay the ice bulge on Central Gully, Huntington Ravine, April 19, 2008.

Ben tackles the bulge on Central Gully, Huntington Ravine, April 19, 2008.

Jumpturn skiing lower Central Gully, Huntington Ravine, April 19, 2008.

Jumturn smokin' the lower Central Gully, Huntington Ravine, April 19, 2008.

Tuckerman Ravine from the Alpine Garden, April 19, 2008.

Ben atop the Sluice, Tuckerman Ravine, April 19, 2008.

The Chute and the Headwall from Sluice, Tuckerman Ravine, April 19, 2008.

Straight lining the lower Headwall, Tuckerman Ravine, April 19, 2008.

The Bowl with the Sluice on the right just left of the ice flow, Tuckerman Ravine, April 19, 2008.

Route of the Central Gully / Sluice circuit, April 19, 2008.
    Last edited by jumpturn; 04-20-2008 at 05:13 PM.

nice, glad you finally got it, see central aint to bad in good conditions.

Nice TR, but could you please add some more emoticons?

is tuckerman's always such a shitshow?
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    This time of year when the weather is gorgeous it is. Earlier when the weather and snow are sketchy its not. Somebody posted a mid or late March tucks TR when there was no one there but him and a ranger or two. Too baked to find it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Odin
    But where is he going to get 10 gallons of crisco, a real doll, 14 japanese virgins, a box of strawberrys, a bottle of old harpers, 12 and a half mangum condoms and some rubber gloves at this time of night?

Quote Originally Posted by Beatdown View Post
    Nice TR, but could you please add some more emoticons?
    Just stare at this page until they are imprinted on your brain.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    They have a big race called the Inferno. With such spectacular weather, all the resort skiers from 10 hours away showed up. Maybe as many as 3,800!

Here is this year's Web page

Excellent. We partook in the ravine shit show yesterday. Skied a nice quiet corn day at Cannon today. What a change of pace

Nice TR. Good coverage up there, eh???!!
    A fucking show dog with fucking papers

Quote Originally Posted by Natedogg View Post
    Good coverage up there, eh???
    Coverage seems excellent and most all lines are in shape, but sustained warm temps mean that the snow is melting fast. Get it while you can!