Touring the BROckers

Touring the Brokers

I have now been touring the new Broker prototypes for about a month. As far as I know I am the only one consistently touring on these skis. The tours that I have done have varied from 30 minute quick accents, to full day, full on touring.

My set up
    Broker carbon prototypes
    Marker Duke Bindings
    Skin Col Tex (they suck)
    Boots Techica Diablo

This is not the lightest set-up. I prefer performance to climb ability when conditions are good enough to still get into the bigger lines.

The skis
    The Broker Carbons are very light for an 110plus waist ski. So light in fact, that I only really feel the weight of the really heavy marker bindings. I quite enjoy the lightness of these skis. They are light, yet have lots of power and energy. The soft tip allows the ski to plow through soft snow with ease. The rest of the shape then takes over and drives the ski down the hill. Breakable crust is also very enjoyable, as this ski does not dive. Of course the lightness of the ski is not good in debris or super hard cruddy conditions, but that is survival skiing anyways. One thing that I have always found with rockered skis, is that you start to get into the back seat. This type of ski generally pushes you up and back. The Brocker skis ski more like a traditional ski and allows you to keep that traditional balance point. I feel this is very important, as we switch from rockered skis back to our traditional skis during the touring season, you don’t have to fight to regain your balance point.

Climbing with this fat rockered ski is much easier than climbing with other rockered skis that I have tired. Other rockers tend to have a bow shape vs. the Brocker only has the tip rockered, then light camber. This allows the skin to make maximum contact with the snow. This stops slipping and allows the skin to glide more naturally across the snow. I feel that this rocker ski is the best rockered ski for touring on the market today. I would love to have a second pair mounted with freerides!

If you have any questions about the skis please ask. Like I said I think I am the only one that has toured full time on these skis.

Damn I need to get to Japan
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

man, it looks like the rest of your season has SUCKED. how do you do this so well Nick?
    but seriously, when you toured on your spats they sucked on established skin tracks right? because my praxis have this problem and im thinking i just have o be the first one and blazze trail as much as possible, which is ok by me. any advice sensei?

my last name is Brock.

i need to rock the Brockers.

my skis have dukes, and they have a chinese symbol. but they are not Bro's. they do have a happy bhudda on the back though.

and yes, japan seems to be doing quite nicely.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

4 Sale: a few splitboards and a pair of skinny touring skis.
    Life is not lift served.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Nice review. I've got a good 30 days touring on brockers. The pair I have are glass protos. The same shape and probably about 1/2 the rocker tip rise that the skis Splat is going to end up producing. They have a decent amount of chamber and are fairly stiff. I mounted mine w/ Silverttas cause I'm an old man, smoke to much, tour with a bunch of young punks and dont have dyna boots.
    I have a pair of 192's with dukes for side country or shorter outings. I am suprised at how big the brockers ski.
    They almost float and rip big turns as well as the broheamoths. Yet unlike the broheamoths, in the trees when you need quick snappy turns they shine. Over all so much easier to ski than the 192's I took these on a long tour out to some back bowls @ Revelstoke and the return consisted of a cat track skate that dumped you out onto a 2000' mogal field and even though my bump skills suck these ski allowed me to make the turns needed. I took these skis to AK for a week of glacier touring and they rocked. The wide rockered tip kicked ass breaking trail on steep faces and glided well across miles of flats.
    Not my choice as a dust on crust ski. Have yet to tour corn with them. kind of curious as to how they will perform. Not a big fan of wide skis for corn. The 188's are perfect corn slayers and have been neglected this winter.
    Kind of curious as to why you would mount another pair w/ freerides not much weight savings and a crappy touring stride imo. I lust for a carbon fiber pair, just like the ones Pat just made me ship to switzerland, with new 12 din dynafits and BD's 130 flex AT boot.
    These are going to be a hot ticket next winter best be putting in you order this summer or fall.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by fattwins View Post
    [B][SIZE="5"] As far as I know I am the only one consistently touring on these skis. The tours that I have done have varied from 30 minute quick accents, to full day, full on touring.

Climbing with this fat rockered ski is much easier than climbing with other rockered skis that I have tired. Other rockers tend to have a bow shape vs. the Brocker only has the tip rockered, then light camber. This allows the skin to make maximum contact with the snow. This stops slipping and allows the skin to glide more naturally across the snow. I feel that this rocker ski is the best rockered ski for touring on the market today. I would love to have a second pair mounted with freerides!

If you have any questions about the skis please ask. Like I said I think I am the only one that has toured full time on these skis.

not to burst any bubbles, but ive been touring on them too since very early november with dynafits short jaunts, sidecountry, hut trips, and even a few resort days. although i might wager you may have more days on them than I

Ill say i agree with pretty much everything you typed.
    Ill also mention that your comments make me smile, cause my intent was to make ski that was not only great for "soft snow conditions", but that would also be excellent for an all around touring ski in places with lots of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    my last name is Brock.

i need to rock the Brockers.

my skis have dukes, and they have a chinese symbol. but they are not Bro's. they do have a happy bhudda on the back though.

and yes, japan seems to be doing quite nicely.
    You wanna try them on the whatevva's left at Alpine tomorrow, dood?
    I gots comp tix and some 183s I can ride.

Well I stand corrected on touring, lol. When I got them I was told I was the only one touring on them fulltime DOH!

I have skied them on corn and they are fine. Easy to turn, fast and snappy if you need them to be. Very easy to release the ski and let them go at speed once you have clear ed the worm turn section. As I said they transition very well.

Freerides dont have the stride of the dynafits I know, they dont have the pivots of the naxos or the Silverttas (Ive seen too many break). That said I trust the binding (freeride) to get me up and down. I cant find the weight of the dukes but I would say at least 50% heavier. The point being is that anything will tour better than a duke.

WFTs how are you doing? I have only ever humped the spats on my back when I could boot pack it. I did tour the pontoons and they were horrible. The weight gave me blisters after 1.5 hours. the rocker on this ski is just before the tip. It doesnt put you into the back seat like a pontoon, which rides like a swallow tail almost. The Pontoon is a great ski but this ski is much better for sure. This ski does more well and doesnt jiggle and bounce at speed on the harder snow.

Our season has been good lots of fresh and some great stable conditions from Feb onward.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    Nice review. I've got a good 30 days touring on brockers. The pair I have are glass protos. The same shape and probably about 1/2 the rocker tip rise that the skis Splat is going to end up producing. They have a decent amount of chamber and are fairly stiff. I mounted mine w/ Silverttas cause I'm an old man, smoke to much, tour with a bunch of young punks and dont have dyna boots.
    I have a pair of 192's with dukes for side country or shorter outings. I am suprised at how big the brockers ski.
    Yeah, and at 6lbs per ski, plus bindings those 192s are heavy in comparison. That's one of the reasons the carbon 192s are so much sweeter.
    Everyone loves the carbon/glass combo in either of these skis.

They almost float and rip big turns as well as the broheamoths. Yet unlike the broheamoths, in the trees when you need quick snappy turns they shine. Over all so much easier to ski than the 192's I took these on a long tour out to some back bowls @ Revelstoke and the return consisted of a cat track skate that dumped you out onto a 2000' mogal field and even though my bump skills suck these ski allowed me to make the turns needed.
    Lookers right down the cattrack off the top of the Stoker?
    That run really sucks after those nice glades above it, didn't it?
    I skied that run on some ultrastiff carbon 192s gonehuckin has now.

I took these skis to AK for a week of glacier touring and they rocked. The wide rockered tip kicked ass breaking trail on steep faces and glided well across miles of flats.
    Not my choice as a dust on crust ski. Have yet to tour corn with them. kind of curious as to how they will perform. Not a big fan of wide skis for corn. The 188's are perfect corn slayers and have been neglected this winter.
    Nice to hear good things on the touring, Nick and Dibs. That enhances the wide range of capabilities. I find myself skiing somewhat differently on the real hard stuff, floating well in 4"-5" of dust on the crust. atrain and sammich ski them so smooth on everything, I'm really impressed.

Dibs - you can't covet skis they need in Suisse.
    Besides, your wife told you you're done for the season.

Kind of curious as to why you would mount another pair w/ freerides not much weight savings and a crappy touring stride imo. I lust for a carbon fiber pair, just like the ones Pat just made me ship to switzerland, with new 12 din dynafits and BD's 130 flex AT boot.
    These are going to be a hot ticket next winter best be putting in you order this summer or fall.
    Thanks for the review, Nick.
    I feel a TT JONGing comin....

You guys have made my day with this thread! My decision to go BROckers with Dynafit as my touring setup has been thoroughly justified; if only I could get my hands on them now...

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    You wanna try them on the whatevva's left at Alpine tomorrow, dood?
    I gots comp tix and some 183s I can ride.
    fkna yes
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I pretty much think that I'm gonna need a pair of Brockers with dynafits for next season. I'd really like a pair in the 190-195 range though.

Id just like another pair for lighter bindings so that I could move quicker!

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    I pretty much think that I'm gonna need a pair of Brockers with dynafits for next season. I'd really like a pair in the 190-195 range though.
    I get that a lot, jed.

Shit, guess we gotta go for it now...

s2g - I can't keep them around for the life of me. I'm clinging onto the last pair, but have others coming back from Dibs. Dibs???? Dibs??? heh.
    I just got some new carbon hybrid glass, some other coming, and will have hit the optimal layup (if possible) this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by workinforturns View Post
    im thinking i just have o be the first one and blazze trail as much as possible, which is ok by me.
    I can't believe you just said that.

Breaking trail is hard work, I prefer to lay back and enjoy the ride!

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Shit, guess we gotta go for it now...
    just say the word and ill draw up some molds for you

^^^^^^THE MADNESS CONTINUES!!

More choices eh??? I like the 188cm but I am only 5'7 and not that heavy.

Any chance I can get a side pic to show the rocker?
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

Ill take a pic tonight