TR: Diagonal - Huntington Ravine, NH

allenataylor and I went over to HR yesterday to try and knock a few more things off the list. From Marc Chauvin's website http://chauvinguides.com/conditions.htm (april 7th entry) we knew that yale had been skied. Due to its south facing aspect we figure that we wouldn't have much time left (if any at all) if we wanted to ski it all this year. So yale became priority number one for the day. Initially we thought that the main problem would be the uppermost ice bulge, but as we climbed up we found a lot more ice than we expected, the lower section would probably have been skiable, but transitioning would have been seriously sketchy, so we down-climbed from about half way up. As a consolation we decided to go up diagonal. Allen wasn't initially super excited about it, he had Odell's higher on his list, and Odell's was fast running out of snow, but we stuck with diagonal because we were closer to it. We thought we'd be up and down really quickly and have time to go look at Odell's but Diagonal had other plans. I had only gotten like 3 hours of sleep the night before and was also feeling kind of sick, on top of that allen and i were both bonking pretty hard as we started up the gully. Once we finally reached the top we were pretty dead, but we got the privilege of watching a few other skiers drop into central via the steep start that was too icy for our trip last monday. So, the pictures.

central is the one in the middle, see if you can guess which one is diagonal

the view of the upper part of central with the summit in the background. those are ski tracks going into central.

I'm ashamed of this picture.....anyone want to sponsor me?........

rolling over into diagonal

allen dropping in

looking down into diagonal

allen further down

edit: another picture of allen that i forgot to add earlier

kind of not a great picture, but it shows the steepness pretty well. On another note i'm starting my own ski clothing line, who wants to look this good?

killing speed

i love this picture, this is me heading towards the bottom.

looking back up

allen and i decided that we wanted to huck the ice cliff at the bottom as a two stager to lookers right. He was having the better day and decided to give it a shot. He went over the lip.........and didn't pop out on the apron. So i called his name a few times and got no response. Then i waited a few more minutes and called his name again, still no response. I started to assume the worst and moved over to the left to begin down climbing and presumably rescuing allen. Pretty much as soon as i got my skis off though, i hear a cheerful call from below, that he had fallen but was fine and would meet me at the bottom. I was pretty psyched out on the idea of hucking by now so i decided to continue with my downclimbing plan and skied down to meet allen after missing the ice.

Me getting ready to downclimb. Allen hit the cliff as a two stager to lookers right, but rather than stomping it he skilled it as a huck -> fall -> flip off the next stage and land on back.

EDIT: picture from boardman's TR on T4T of allen prior to dropping

me skiing out

edit 2: we were both exhausted by now and nothing had really been going as planned all day so we decided to call it after diagonal. A better man probably would have done south or central as well.

on the way through ghoram on the way back to UVM we saw a sign that has cracked me up every time i dirve through the town. Not as good as the "house of tang" sign that I keep forgetting to take a picture of but still pretty funny.

on route 2 on the way home, there is a long straight hill with smooth pavement, allen had wanted to long board this for some time and he finally remembered his gear.

Thats all folks! thanks for looking, i'll see everyone up in the ravine this weekend,

Sam
    Last edited by samthaman; 04-17-2008 at 04:33 PM.

Nice. I'm stoked to get up there tomorrow and the next day...

nice pics! that line looks really, really nice. gnar huckage and downclimbage at the bottom too.

Hell Yeah.......nice work, as always!
    Donjoy to the World!

As always is right... awesome job guys.
    "Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."

My Flickr Photostream

Nice work boys. That ice fall looks gnarly to say the least. A lot bigger from the side then looking straight on.

Oh and AT, the long boarding looked sweeet! Bet that was hella fun.

Very excellent - 2 thumbs up.
    ‎"Powder snow skiing is not fun. It's life, fully lived, life lived in a blaze of reality." -Dolores LaChapelle

Hell yeah!!
    Have fun or get hurt bad. "MFT" A.K.A. Dr. Doom

There are but three true sports--bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. "Ernest Hemingway"

Quality stoke with a twist at the end make this a top notch TR.

Wow now I don't want to ski the standards we may not see some of this stuff ski able again for a few years. Great job I think I know the hill that AT sk8ted down nice work.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Its funny from driving it I thought the long boarding hill was a lot steeper so I was stressing out about it all day. The ski stuff wasn't worrying me nearly as much. It was kind of a let down though, in a full tuck I could only get up to around 30mph. I think I'll bring the board again this weekend and try to find something steeper.
    Diagonal was awesome, there are conflicting opinions about it but I think it is on average steeper than central. I just really wish I had not fallen on the cliff at the bottom. I was trying to jump turn onto the second stage so I wouldn't get going too fast, it turned out to be steeper and icier than planned so my tails let go and I went tumbling. I defiantly used up some of my luck for the season. It was a tomahawk off a 15 foot ice cliff and about 200' of sliding before I could arrest and all I got out of it was a sore ass.

I also found that a whippet is not very good for arresting in spring corn, a ski is much more effective.
    Alcohol Caffeine Taurine Hybrid
    If it can be done it can be won

Without a chainsaw silviculture is just a theory

Killing it.
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

Very nice! Have hiked that in the summer, I know it's steep!

Can you ski to the road from Huntingdon like from Tucks?

Do you know if the Shelburn trail is still skiable to the road? Thinking of going Sataurday.

Thanks

Nice, even with your skis on the wrong feet.

Nice work, boys. No easy way down that ice. Way to give 'er, AT!
    Chocolate? This is doodoo, BABY!

Nice. That line looked like a lot of fun in your central TR, glad you went back to get it.

Nice Work!

Be careful of those lines that terminate in ice bulges - can be very bad deals.

Now you should turn your sights to Great Gulf (everything), King Ravine (especially the "7"), and Burt Ravine (the gnar-ass AK looking stuff you see from the Carter's house in Jefferson.

Very nice

I love the "baseball cap under the helmet with no goggles" steeze you've got going in the 9th picture
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Quote Originally Posted by nhtele View Post
    Nice Work!

Be careful of those lines that terminate in ice bulges - can be very bad deals.

Now you should turn your sights to Great Gulf (everything), King Ravine (especially the "7"), and Burt Ravine (the gnar-ass AK looking stuff you see from the Carter's house in Jefferson.
    Beta?

"The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

Quote Originally Posted by allenataylor View Post
    Diagonal was awesome, there are conflicting opinions about it but I think it is on average steeper than central.
    Yeah but not very many people have skied Diagonal which makes it better IMO.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

great pictures!

EC not looking so bad
    Hello darkness my old friend