Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: body armor

I doubt this meets any of the specific requirements of anyone in this thread, but I will add it for the benefit of future search-function users looking for armor...

Bell makes a great vest that is designed for kart racing. It uses high density foam and covers chest, ribs, shoulders, and spine. It is cut trimly and is very comfortable. The cover for the foam is some sort of wicking material. This is the first vest I've used driving my kart that has prevented me from getting any bruises whatsoever. I definitely plan to wear it skiing next winter.
    I don't think this is really a substitute for plastic motocross-style armor, but it's definitely a worthy economical option for light body armor.
    $50 http://www.bellracing.com/public/ind...ct/detail/132/

Full disclosure: Bell gives me a very modest sponsorship for my kart racing activities.

havent worn any for skiing but for DH biking, I am a huge fan of the 661 pro pressure suit as Allenataylor suggested, i would assume it would function superb for skiing as well. They do also make just a spine protector i do believe, and a core saver which is a soft padded spine, not so kosher in my book.
    id say the pro pressure suit or the spine protector, a full face, mouth guard and backpack would do the trick
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

I have the pressure suit N8-3

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/I.../Full/9055.jpg (not sure why I can't insert a photo right now)

It is great for skiing, but I think I will be selling it soon as I am looking for something with shoulder protection for the summer.

Look for Aegix separate armor (shorts, etc) as well as expansion of its armored apparel into sports like MTB and skateboarding in 09. Meanwhile, the 08/09 ski line armor is lighter than it's ever been, and thinner, while taking on 90% (and more, in tests) of the impact (so you don't).
    Artist formerly known as yogachik.
    become a fan

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    these look like awesome shorts but are these the womens impact shorts? all the other ones i find are boardshort style.

what's the deal?

i have used this this season and like minimal padding, flexability, breathability and weight. But protestion is really good
    http://www.pro-tec.net/snow/ips_vest_protector.html
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I've got the old version of this:

http://www.dainese.com/wd_en/multisp...ender=2&cat=75

Probably from around 2004/2005. It's seen over 350 days skiing and over 100 days biking and still going strong. Wear it everday and don't even notice I've got it on. Can still move fine for park, breathes well enough and not too hot for slackcountry. You can unzip the arms and just have the spine protection, but I use the arms and spine together all the time. Just need a slightly looser jacket than you might normally wear over the top. Has almost certainly saved me from broken elbow on a couple of occasions when I hit a rock. Works well for biking too and have the gouges to prove it.

Had one like this but the shoulders on mine were bigger and made me look a lot weirder than I already look when under my jacket. and the breast plate cut off breathing when skinning or boot packing.

switched to a 661

Hips:
    The burton Red shorts are great. except Had to alter the pee hole since it was tiny and seemed to be up near my waist. just cut that area out. before pee hole adjustment , shorts always smelled like pee. been using now for 4 years. still wash

Knees:
    using the asteriks knee brace guards (boot pack and skin with them no problem)

Helmet:
    switched from a Smith Holt to a K2 Clutch. Holt and many other helmets seem more like bike helmets. the clutch seems to be built more like a motorcycle helmet but still lite and has earphones built in too.
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Has anyone tried the POC Bug Spine Protector?
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I suggest we do more airmchair QBing with no facts except as stated in the article.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum93 View Post
    I don't but know a ton of guys who do..... I haven't heard them complain about it at all.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum93 View Post
    Fondled one... very impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Get In The Van View Post
    these look like awesome shorts but are these the womens impact shorts? all the other ones i find are boardshort style.

what's the deal?
    That model seems to have gone out of production. They have replaced it with a D3O model that is not as protective but lower profile. Google "Red Total Impact Shorts". 661 and has a good competing product... not as good as the original Red one but whatever...
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I've got the POC spine protector/vest and it KICKS ASS. I would highly recommend it, it fit better than any spine protector I tried.
    dayglo aerobic enthusiast

Have fondled but never worn ski armor, wore its daddy on my motorcycles for 30+ years. Unless you want to pay for POC, vote here for daddy. Go check out a bike dealer or mag and you'll see well-engineered options at better prices (bigger market, more brands, competition). Same basic designs but more ability to personalize your own protection, stuff is not much heavier or more constraining, but a whole lot burlier, with emphasis on materials that prevent crushing or penetration. Like from a rock or tree...

I was going to say POC or dainese but that Acerbis looks incredible.

I have sixsixone - I wear it (sometimes) in the winter skiing, (sometimes) in the summer mountain biking, (usually) on the dirt bike, and always on the street bike if I'm on a hooligan type of ride. Its kept my bones and skin intact through multiple different crashes on different surfaces.

Bump - What body armor do you guys use / think is necessary. Me specifically, I don't do park, but ski a lot in the trees and looking to avoid season / career ending injuries more than bumps and bruises. Currently the only armor I use is a helmet, but last year (and years past) I came pretty close to bouncing off trees and rocks and luckily I went over / under them. I know this luck won't last forever and if I continue to ski fast through trees and take smaller drops, eventually I'm going to hit a tree, rock, etc.

Obviously everything needs to fit right, so I'm not asking which back protector I should get. More asking, I know I need a back protector, but do I really need shoulder pads, rib pads, hip pads, etc.

I don't ski park.

I love my POC VPD vest tee, super light, great for impact and comfortable
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Bump - Wh asking which back protector I should get. More asking, I know I need a back protector, but do I really need shoulder pads, rib pads, hip pads, etc.

I don't ski park.
    I used to wear hip and tail bone protection almost every day and a pressure suit on bigger days... now I'm looking to go lower profile.. will probably just rock the POC vest soon.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I think the POC stuff is pretty good. Their helmets are expensive but the Armour isn't too bad.

Having broken the transverse processes off of my L2-L5 (if youre confused then wiki it) while wearing a backpack last year I got one of the POC spine protectors. Its fucking great, barely notice it for everything except doing raps cause the harness interferes with the sacral/coccygeal region of the protector. I always thought my backpack with the shovel would do the trick but it clearly has the ability to move around a lot. I'm glad I got off lucky and I wont make the mistake of being "unprepared" again.

anyone else have pants/shorts they like? I have been looking around. I have POC knee pads so I think shorts would be adequate?

I found these

http://www.backcountry.com/poc-hip-vpd-impact-short
    Last edited by BoatBound; 09-27-2011 at 03:04 PM.
    Be more like your dog...

I read about g-form on this board and IMHO the poron (the material wich the protection are made of) seems to be the best in the soft pad category, i will try in a shop in the next few days...found that shirt and shorts on their f.b. page, they say it will be available soon.

thanks, available soon meaning they are new and untested?
    Be more like your dog...

Found these on the Dianese site http://www.dainese.com/us_en/multisp...t=75&subcat=77

anyone have any experience with this jacket? Concern is that they are constrictive

Be more like your dog...