Check Out Our Shop
Page 388 of 437 FirstFirst ... 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 ... LastLast
Results 9,676 to 9,700 of 10909

Thread: GUNS!!!!!!!!

I just got a Tikka T3 Ultralight 7mm Mag w/a Leupold VX-6 and the last 2 boxes of Ammo in Sacramento

happy camper
    Hello darkness my old friend

Quote Originally Posted by wendigo View Post
    At risk of derailing this gun thread - i have a number of firearms, but is non-sensical to me.
    As a trail runner in an area with a high population of very large brown bears the make a shit ton of noise and maybe bring a bear spray is far more practical/effective.
    I've found bear encounters while running tend to be of the "holy shit there is a bear right next me" variety; thereby negating the ability to pull a weapon, particularly one that has to be very secure in order to be running...
    ymmv
    I livedin the KPB for a long time before I decided I needed to carry when I wasn't hunting or fishing salmon streams off the beaten path.
    I thought it through and bought the smallest most reliable 12ga I legally could and developed a carry and use technique for it.
    Last thing I want is a wounded fucking brown bear during tourist season, so my ROEs stipulate I must kill whatever I shoot. My rules for bears are a lot like my rules for people - I'm Not gonna make them dead without clear justification.

https://www.brennekeusa.com/hunting-...magicr-magnum/

That's not trail running though...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scat-Belt-CUB-3D-2019-Black.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	561.7 KB 
ID:	365581
    Remove the velcro strap, and this rig can be as fast as a pistol and much lighter. With pepper spray, you can easily walk fire to target. Pepper spray is arguably statistically more effective at stopping a bear attack than a firearm. Pepper spray used correctly saves bear and people lives. It's all I carry fishing crowded places like the Russian.
    Last edited by highangle; 03-02-2021 at 01:51 PM.

I'm convinced I need a chainsaw for personal protection now.

Name:  army of darkness.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  64.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    Been there, done that. Your going to have to get a couple of springs and play with it. If it tosses it into the next zip code go to a heavier spring.
    Since you want to shoot some hot loads don't get a factory glock barrel, get one with a fully supported chamber (most after markets)
    I've been loading hot 10mm with some hard casts and XTPs.
    Ping me if you need more info.
    Thanks! Will do, either a KKM or Lone Wolf barrel will likely go in it. Finally got a slide from Rockslide, nicely made for the money.

On the 10mm. The old first generation 10mm packed a huge punch. Many of the available rounds have now been somewhat neutered, and consequently, effectiveness decreased.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Quote Originally Posted by exsparky View Post
    I'm convinced I need a chainsaw for personal protection now.

Name:  army of darkness.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  64.7 KB
    X2

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    On the 10mm. The old first generation 10mm packed a huge punch. Many of the available rounds have now been somewhat neutered, and consequently, effectiveness decreased.
    Yeah, but I think some of the manufacturers are making stuff hot again, Federal and MagTech are coming in around 1200fps, but I've seen other stuff at 1000fps.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Thanks for the info and for weighing the pros and cons of different firearms and bear deterrents, everyone.

I think I like the idea of capacity over stopping power. I'm also used to carrying a Glock with no safety.

RE: Bear spray- I carry it regularly. There is a water bottle holster in the chest strap of my running vest that bear spray fits into very nicely.

I envision the handgun to be a backup to the bear spray in the event that something goes horribly sideways and bear spray isn't effective. Cue the debate about whether it is realistic to have enough time to unholster a handgun and get shots on target after realizing the bear spray didn't work...

I'd personally rather have the backup option than be out of options at that point, but maybe that is wishful thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    Cue the debate about whether it is realistic to have enough time to unholster a handgun and get shots on target after realizing the bear spray didn't .
    Nope. I don't think there's much debate. 800lbs at 35mph....

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Nope. I don't think there's much debate. 800lbs at 35mph....
    Yeah I forgot who posted this last summer (bennymac?) but it was pretty eye opening.

The amount of ground she covered in the initial charge, even if it was downhill, was absurd. If that was heading in my direction while I was out trail running I'd be way too busy shitting myself to decide between my bear spray and my 10mm.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    The amount of ground she covered in the initial charge, even if it was downhill, was absurd. If that was heading in my direction while I was out trail running I'd be way too busy shitting myself to decide between my bear spray and my 10mm.
    Agreed. If anyone plans to use a firearm against a bear, they need to be very well practiced to the point of thoughtless reflex. Personally, I'd choose bear spray as it's much more forgiving as it pertains to accuracy. But I don't live in grizz country and have only been privy to them as a tourist in AK and Montana (admittedly shitting my pants at the mere sight of them).

Agreed. If anyone plans to use a firearm against a bear, they need to be very well practiced to the point of thoughtless reflex. Personally, I'd choose bear spray as it's much more forgiving as it pertains to accuracy. But I don't live in grizz country and have only been privy to them as a tourist in AK and Montana (admittedly shitting my pants at the mere sight of them).
    Before my goat hunt in GTNP we had to do a day of training and part of the training was bear spray deployment. They had a plastic bear on tracks that were maybe 15 yards long, back turned to the bear. When they said go, you had to turn around and deploy bear spray before the bear got to you. I've been carrying bear spray for 20 years and have always practiced pulling it out but this was enlightening to say the least. Take away was that even when you knew the bear was coming, it happens very fast. And aim at the bears feet and let them pass through the cloud, if you try to aim at the bears face, the spray will be over it's head by the time you squeeze.

Underwood makes some very high quality and effective bear ammo...including options that you can shoot through the stock Glock barrel. I archery hunted just outside Cody, WY last fall and learned/reinforced a couple things through that experience.

First...Wyoming is windy as fuck and I would not want to only rely on bear spray. It just is not realistic in some situations. We carried both 10MMs with 15 round mags and bear spray. Second, absolutely put a tactical light on your gun. Bear spray or a gun are pretty ineffective while being charged in the dark. Also, a very hi-lumen light seems to disorient a momma grizzly when she comes to check you out in the dark after sending her cubs off.

If you move with the wind in your face, as you should always when hunting, you can smell any dead carcasses before getting too close and work your way faaaaar around them.

Grizzlies, particularly cubs, will come to elk calls. Oh, and having a hunting partner that is 4 inches taller then you can be a hindrance to getting away from a bear in a blowdown...especially one in an area burned by the largest fire in known yellowstone history...with the aforementioned wind.

Lastly...a momma bear makes some really weird sounds when cleaning/licking her cubs...sounds a bit like an angry cow on a salt block. If you hear it in the dark...don't stop to think about what it might be...just give it space and find another route....and grizzlies are really fast.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

GUNS!!!!!!!!

I do like the no safety part of the Glock in a situation where every fraction of a second counts. Gotta think two guys shooting 30 rounds at or into a bear would give you a good chance to survive...we didn’t need to shoot, but were fully drawn and ready by the time the grizzly was within 15 yards. It wasn’t a full charge situation, but I definitely think it would of ended differently without tactical lights.

The good thing about bear spray...it can help in those in between situations where it is not a full charge situation or a bluff charge...without hurting the bear. Hopefully there is no wind though.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    I just got a Tikka T3 Ultralight 7mm Mag w/a Leupold VX-6 and the last 2 boxes of Ammo in Sacramento

happy camper
    Congrats! I sure like my T3 Lite stainless 300wsm with a lightweight VX3i 50mm.
    Shoots everything well, carries like a golf club, kicks like a Tikka [nonissue in hunting]
    Limbsaver, steel recoil lug, Blizzards, tall Talleys, Beartooth, BC mountain sling. 7lbs 12oz loaded.

Only stores in ANC that have ammo are stores that mark it up over msrp and have a 2 box sale limit.
    Over the last 6 months I've got my hands on some Federal Barnes TSX 180s, Norma Bondstrike 180s, and Remington Scirocco 180s in 300wsm, so ammo can be had if you make a point of it. But shit's fucked up.

It's funny watching youtubes from back in the ObamaDays, kids burning through ammo like they could just go to the store and buy more. Spoiled!

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Underwood makes some very high quality and effective bear ammo...including options that you can shoot through the stock Glock barrel. I archery hunted just outside Cody, WY last fall and learned/reinforced a couple things through that experience.

First...Wyoming is windy as fuck and I would not want to only rely on bear spray. It just is not realistic in some situations. We carried both 10MMs with 15 round mags and bear spray. Second, absolutely put a tactical light on your gun. Bear spray or a gun are pretty ineffective while being charged in the dark. Also, a very hi-lumen light seems to disorient a momma grizzly when she comes to check you out in the dark after sending her cubs off.

If you move with the wind in your face, as you should always when hunting, you can smell any dead carcasses before getting too close and work your way faaaaar around them.

Grizzlies, particularly cubs, will come to elk calls. Oh, and having a hunting partner that is 4 inches taller then you can be a hindrance to getting away from a bear in a blowdown...especially one in an area burned by the largest fire in known yellowstone history...with the aforementioned wind.

Lastly...a momma bear makes some really weird sounds when cleaning/licking her cubs...sounds a bit like an angry cow on a salt block. If you hear it in the dark...don't stop to think about what it might be...just give it space and find another route....and grizzlies are really fast.

ADF&G sometimes uses flares to run off bears. It's illegal to flare a bear in Alaska, but it's very effective. Bears don't want no part of that shit. You become a god for as long as that flare stays lit.

Bears that come in to occupied campsites are very serious. They've crossed downwind, know you're in there, and they come in anyway, figuring any negative consequences will be worth it. This makes running them off difficult, especially if they can't leave - like a sow that put her COYs up a tree beforehand and is willing to fight for a meal.

Nonlethal 12ga Stinger ["rubber bullets"] can be had, sometimes OTC at your local gun or cop supply store. Haze them fuckers...

Campsite bear fence - $200, 5lbs, 2xD cells https://www.amazon.com/Udap-BEF-Shoc.../dp/B001QGXNCY
    Last edited by highangle; 03-03-2021 at 01:24 PM.

Yeah...we were not in a campsite. In the BC and walked up on her....approached from down wind.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    ADF&G sometimes uses flares to run off bears. It's illegal to flare a bear in Alaska, but it's very effective. Bears don't want no part of that shit. You become a god for as long as that flare stays lit.
    You'd likely burn down all of Wyoming if you shot a flare during fall hunting season.

Congrats! I sure like my T3 Lite stainless 300wsm with a lightweight VX3i 50mm.
    Shoots everything well, carries like a golf club, kicks like a Tikka [nonissue in hunting]
    Limbsaver, steel recoil lug, Blizzards, tall Talleys, Beartooth, BC mountain sling. 7lbs 12oz loaded.

Only stores in ANC that have ammo are stores that mark it up over msrp and have a 2 box sale limit.
    Over the last 6 months I've got my hands on some Federal Barnes TSX 180s, Norma Bondstrike 180s, and Remington Scirocco 180s in 300wsm, so ammo can be had if you make a point of it. But shit's fucked up.

It's funny watching youtubes from back in the ObamaDays, kids burning through ammo like they could just go to the store and buy more. Spoiled!
    Agreed on the Tikka. I have a T3x lite stainless in 7mm rm that shoots better than I do. Mine is 8 pounds all in ready to carry but I do have a little heavier scope than you. I also replaced the stock recoil pad with a limbsaver, huge improvement for range time. I was thinking about replacing the recoil lug with the stainless one from MTN tactical. I pulled the stock off of mine and sponge painted it last weekend for shits and giggles, turned out decent.

As far as ammo, I've gotten lucky lately and bought a few boxes directly from Federal Premium off of their website in the past few months. Keep an eye out for it, no mark up buying directly from them.

sorry for the link but god damn why can't I post pics on this site?
    Anyhow this followed me home the other day (ok, i picked it up at the post office whatever)

https://pgwdti.com/product/m15-acc/
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

The wind factor is certainly one of the reasons I'm thinking about getting a bear gun.

Snapt and ZionZigZag- do either of you guys have a preferred FFL for transfers in in Teton Valley?

This is good shit.

Leroy: You can't backpack with a machine gun strapped across your chest, you can only patrol. How are you going to use trekking poles? How are you going to situate your "braced assault pistol" in your mummy bag? How much extra ammo do you plan on loading out, and where will you mount your extra mag drums?

With a professional grade chain saw strapped to your chest, you can not only instantly defend yourself and your loved ones from the biggest wildcat, beaver or squirrel in Utah, you can also cut firewood for camp, or for that matter make weekend cash clearing fireline.

You'll also look very impressive to wildlife, and there's enough blaze orange on a pro-tier Husky saw and bar sheath so that you'll be highly visible backpacking during deer & elk rifle seasons even without a helmet and chaps.
    So what I get from this is you're saying I should carry a flamethrower?

Fuck the arm brace, theres a model with a swivel stud endcap on the end of the receiver, so it is compact, but still 6 fucking lbs. So it may not get in the way too bad, but weight wise you really are still carrying a longarm. I'd say if you have to reload with a grizzly, shit has gone really far south.

You really want to backpack with an AR variant hanging off of you? If that's the case, all of my friends in AK simply carry short barreled Remington pump guns with slugs when they're doing FS work in remote locations. Can't beat a slug gun if don't care about bulk or weight. I've never heard of anyone backpacking with a tactical weapon, but that's just me.
    Well, no not really, but I also want to have one with me. that is kind of the idea, a carryable compact longarm of some sort. A remington vtac13 seems tempting too, but I really just like the idea of a real amount of firepower.

Realistically I will probably just get a g20 or 40, but I just am not a fan of glocks, don't like that grip angle.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

That sounds like a very interesting life experience I could happily skip.

Will the standard g20 barrel not handle all commercially available loads? Can you buy one that will?

I have an idea for a pic rail mounted miniature, like 3 oz, bear spray canister activated by a pressure pad on the trigger. The trick would be making it high pressure enough, obviously wouldn't have the 30 second capacity of the big canisters, but perhaps a seconds worth could help convince a bear to rethink charging you. I gotta think bear spray in bullet holes would hurt like a motherfucker even for a grizzly.But yes, getting charged from upwind would be an issue.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.