Page 130 of 435 FirstFirst ... 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 ... LastLast
Results 3,226 to 3,250 of 10853

Thread: GUNS!!!!!!!!

Trust me when I say I fucking hate the way a Savage looks. I am also the guy that puts it in the back of the safe so I don't have to look at it, but at your cost level Savage makes some great 223's, and they are almost always accurate as hell. I have one in 223 that I would sell you if you were close, but look into them. You cannot beat them for price vs accuracy. I think I paid right at 400.00 with scope and all, as I was just going to use it to mess around with.
    It is very accurate, only thing I would do to it would be a trigger job, but its ok as is. Similar to this
    http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/m...TrophyHunterXP

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    How many acres do you have? .
    40 plus a 1000' mountain to use as a backstop. Will that be enough?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeC View Post
    Trust me when I say I fucking hate the way a Savage looks. I am also the guy that puts it in the back of the safe so I don't have to look at it, but at your cost level Savage makes some great 223's, and they are almost always accurate as hell. I have one in 223 that I would sell you if you were close, but look into them. You cannot beat them for price vs accuracy. I think I paid right at 400.00 with scope and all, as I was just going to use it to mess around with.
    It is very accurate, only thing I would do to it would be a trigger job, but its ok as is. Similar to this
    http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/m...TrophyHunterXP
    Thanks for the link. I guess I've been looking at the 55 year old Remington 512 too long. I'm not finding the Savage terribly ugly.
    Last edited by Timberridge; 09-04-2014 at 06:55 AM.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    40 plus a 1000' mountain to use as a backstop. Will that be enough?

Certainly changes the equation a lot.
    How do you live on 40 acres and not own a shotgun?
    Last edited by Rideski; 09-04-2014 at 11:22 AM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1409853650.436696.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	272.8 KB 
ID:	157970<spam> I've just started working for these guys, Gunfighters,inc. If any maggots need a nicely made kydex holster feel free to pm me. I'll give you a sweet deal and unlike most holster companies we don't take 12 weeks to build stuff - normally a 1 week turnaround.</spam>

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Gun jong.

I've shot a number of different caliber rifles .223, .308, 30-30 and own a .22LR (a ca. 1955 Remington 512 that was my fathers). But I know very little about ammo varieties...other than they can get expensive. I like taking the .22 and shooting 50 rounds at a target and not having to budget $30 for ammo.

My porcupine problem has me thinking of getting another gun at some point, so as a step up from the .22 what do you recommend that could take down a 20-30lb varmit? .223, or is there another caliber I should be looking at? and what rifle model should I be looking at, say in the $200-300 range?
    Might suggest a .17 HMR rimfire but a .17 Remington centerfire would do the trick.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Certainly changes the equation a lot.
    How do you live on 40 acres and not own a shotgun?
    Not sure. For some reason never had the desire to own one. I take out the the .22 now and then, and occasionally one of my crazier friends comes over with his arsenal of 30-06, .308, 12 ga and assorted handguns and we destroy some stuff. He buys the ammo, and I let him shoot up my lawn.

I don't own a pair of skis over 98mm wide either. I'm a small-bore type of guy.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    Might suggest a .17 HMR rimfire but a .17 Remington centerfire would do the trick.
    I think your Savage recco was right on the money, esp if he can grab one in .223 Wylde so he can take advantage of milsurp 5.56. Savages are fugly, but they shoot great right out of the box. 17HMR's a great, fast, flat shooting round, but it's almost as expensive as .223, innit?

Pick this guy up tomorrow. I figured I needed a .45 on my carry permit and I have the full size version so naturally I needed the compact.

Thing about .223 is boy can those bullets go far and do some damage.
    Would .17hmr, while packing a bigger punch than the .22 be less of a ricochet danger?
    Also, you can still find .17hmr fairly easily for around $20 (less?) per 50 even when stores out out of .22. On top of that, you can find a cheap rifle that's basically adapted from a .22, so the controls are familiar too.
    I gather .17 is quite a bit louder than .22, but is it anywhere near as loud as an AR type gun?

Oh, and anyone in the Missoula area reload .270?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I am blessed. I have been reloading ammo since I was 8 yrs old, and have never bought factory ammo in my life. Except 12ga.
    My father bought ammo by the case, and powder by the barrel, so ammo is never a concern with me.
    I am 52, and have not even dented what he already had..
    If I get a new caliber, I will usually buy the brass, and I am good for life.
    Its a bit different for me, because I don't look at that equation.
    Get a rockchucker, and some dies, and its easy enough to pay for itself pretty quick.
    I have 20 acres, and am surrounded by BLM, so I also have my own range,
    40 acres and a 1000 ft mtn.will hold anything you need..biggest concern is neighbors, but mine are cool.
    I see absolutely see no benefit with 17, as there are too many choices of 22 that will work just as well, and a lot cheaper to reload for me.
    I have no idea what retail differences are.
    I have 223's, but when I reach for a 22 it is always a 220 swift. Nothing like it.

What's a good .270 load? 22" barrel, mostly whitetail in open country and would like to do elk and antelope eventually. Was think 130 or 140 grain Sierra Game Kinds or Hornady Interbond(?) Would be plenty good for medium game well inside 400yds (at least till I get a better scope). I'm shooting for meat, not trophies, so a bullet that doesn't create all kinds of shrapnel like Bergers would be good.

Also would be interested in your/the collective's thoughts on 165 grain 30-06. I think that's what my bro shoots (among other things) and he's allegedly getting all the reloading gear.
    No longer stuck.

I shoot 150's out of mine.
    If it won't shoot with 55-58 grains of H4831. Its not a shooter.
    RL22 is close, but I have always used 4831.
    I only use Sierra flatbase bullets, boattails seem to come apart easier. Practice with the Sierra's, and then buy a box of Nosler Partitions.
    They shoot to the same impact point, and hold together well. If you are shooting for meat, I would highly rec the Partition, or Barnes TSX..They do not come apart, but some rifles don't like Barnes, but the new TSX seem to work well.
    I wish you were closer, and I would send you some of each to try.
    The bullets you name are good if you are a good shot, but the others give a bit of room for error. I have killed a boatload of game with 180 Sierra pro's
    For the 06, Any bullet works well if you put it in the right spot, but for anyone I don't know that wants a good bullet, I will always steer them to the good ole partition. For me they are as accurate as the Sierra's at decent ranges, but hold together like a mother. You can buy seconds from Nosler, they are in Oregon, and they will still shoot fine. The 165's should work great.
    I used to be a factory shooter for Barnes, I hated em, but got them for next to nothing. They held together, but would not group worth a shit.
    These new bullets with the grooves like the TSX, are the shit, and for the money, the best you can buy, for weight retention, and not a lot of meat loss.
    I tried groove bullets early in the 90's, but they were made in Africa back then, Barnes basically took their idea, and made it work very well for them
    I was shooting these in the early 90's, well before Barnes started. http://www.gsgroup.co.za/02hv.html
    This is a great site for reloading info
    http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/
    http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/de...Powder&Source=
    Last, but not least, there have been tons of animals shot with Speer, Sierra, Hornady, and they do make good bullets, but I always go back to Sierra for accuracy, and Nosler, or Barnes for tough.
    I know there are a lot of good bonded bullets made these days, but these are what I have in stock, and what I use.. I don't stray from what I know works.
    Sorry for the long reply guys.
    Last edited by LeeC; 09-04-2014 at 08:19 PM.

Thing about .223 is boy can those bullets go far and do some damage.
    Would .17hmr, while packing a bigger punch than the .22 be less of a ricochet danger?
    Also, you can still find .17hmr fairly easily for around $20 (less?) per 50 even when stores out out of .22. On top of that, you can find a cheap rifle that's basically adapted from a .22, so the controls are familiar too.
    I gather .17 is quite a bit louder than .22, but is it anywhere near as loud as an AR type gun?

Oh, and anyone in the Missoula area reload .270?
    .17 hmr has been hit and miss, but the big r over in Sandpoint has had plenty lately. I picked up a couple thousand rounds for $11.99/ 50.

It's plenty quiet that I don't worry about ear plugs unless I'm at the range and someone else is shooting, or I'm shooting something bigger as well.

I don't know how it would treat a bigger critter, but it doesn't leave much where a rabbits head used to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

New lower getting picked up tomorrow! Anyone have an extra basic BCG laying around I could borrow to do some trouble shooting on my upper? Either my gas tube is outta wack or the gas key on my BCG is outta alignment. Willing to pay!

Sent from my mind to your eyes

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by japanada View Post
    New lower getting picked up tomorrow! Anyone have an extra basic BCG laying around I could borrow to do some trouble shooting on my upper? Either my gas tube is outta wack or the gas key on my BCG is outta alignment. Willing to pay!

What kind of front rail/handguard are you running? I've seen several uppers with gas tube alignment issues because the handguard/rail was putting pressure on the gas tube and tweaking it. Pop off your handguard/rail, take the bolt out of the carrier and you should be able to see if things are out of alignment. Who staked the key on your carrier? Has the carrier ever worked correctly/have you tested it in another gun?

Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
    What kind of front rail/handguard are you running? I've seen several uppers with gas tube alignment issues because the handguard/rail was putting pressure on the gas tube and tweaking it. Pop off your handguard/rail, take the bolt out of the carrier and you should be able to see if things are out of alignment. Who staked the key on your carrier? Has the carrier ever worked correctly/have you tested it in another gun?
    I've had the upper sent back, it was diagnosed as having a slighty outta wack gas tube, they adjusted it and test fired it aok. I have a aim surplus NiB V2 BCG, came staked. Before I sent the upper back there was no way to get it into battery fully. Now if I slam the BCG it fully seats in the upper, but I have to pry it it apart. Im guessing it would fire the 1st round, but I don't think it would cycle the next round, let alone eject it properly.

I think the NiB coating may be too heavy on the inside of the gas key making it out of spec? Thinking of returning it and getting a spikes or bcm BCG. I have everything sitting here and I just wanna shoot! Ill gladly buy a used a BCG for anyone here if it's working well!

jgb@etree Guest
    I have a few spares, but I kinda like to have spares

You can grab an Ares NiB for $99 or an Ares uncoated bcg for like $80. That said, I'm a big fan of the FailZero bolts, and feel they are well worth the extra $$

No idea who actually manufactures the AIM BCG, but the claim they'll stand behind their products and that BCG carries a lifetime warranty.

Your theory holds water (NiB coating too thick) although I've never seen it (not that that means much).

If you lock the bolt back, and insert a mag (with a round in it) and you release the bolt, does the carrier correctly strip the round from the mag and get it completely into battery without banging anything or using the forward assist? If so, everything should be lined up, and I couldn't imagine why it wouldn't cycle. Once the round chambers, if you pull the charging handle, does the round eject?

Quick thought: How familiar are you with BCG's? While the pivot pin shouldn't go in without the bolt being inserted correctly, I have seen BCG's with the bolt in backwards which caused the round to not fully seat in the chamber, and even if you 'helped' the round, it wouldn't cycle because the ejector is on the wrong side so the spent casing can't be ejected. The bottom hole on the bolt has a little indentation on it to help you ID one side from the other (or you can just look at the extractor and make sure it's on the correct side).

Since you sent it back, it's unlikely that you have the wrong tube size or gas block, but both of those depend on barrel length (although the gas tube taper is on the gas block end of the tube).

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    .17 hmr has been hit and miss, but the big r over in Sandpoint has had plenty lately. I picked up a couple thousand rounds for $11.99/ 50.

It's plenty quiet that I don't worry about ear plugs unless I'm at the range and someone else is shooting, or I'm shooting something bigger as well.

I don't know how it would treat a bigger critter, but it doesn't leave much where a rabbits head used to be.
    That sounds big enough for a porcupine. I gather they're great for things about that size. Even coyotes in a pinch.
    No longer stuck.

That sounds big enough for a porcupine. I gather they're great for things about that size. Even coyotes in a pinch.
    12ga..........
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1410487729.003059.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	992.0 KB 
ID:	158122
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Hey jgb, your inbox is full. I tried to PM you to not fill up the page. I've done a little troubleshooting so far.

Anybody looking for a nice 308 rifle or scope?

Rem 700 Varmint SF 308 Score High Gunsmithing

This rifle had the Level 2A accuracy overhaul from Score High Gunsmithing in Albequerque which included bedding, trigger tune, 11 degree counter-bore crown, lap recoil lugs, and machining all critical surfaces. A list and receipt of the work that was done can be provided. The rifle has approx 1000 rounds through it. $1400

Leupold 3.5-10x40 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope MIL/MOA

One used Leupold 3.5-10x40 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope MIL/MOA with Leupold Rings and lens covers. The scope has 1/4 MOA adjustments and a MIL TMR Reticle. The scope is in pristine shape with a few scratches on the knobs. $1300

Pics provided if interested.
    The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by japanada View Post
    Hey jgb, your inbox is full. I tried to PM you to not fill up the page. I've done a little troubleshooting so far.

I have douched my box.

jgb@etree Guest
    Added another 10mm to the quiver today. Came across a 1990 S&W 1006 & couldn't resist adding it to the collection:

Ran 250rds of 180gr American Eagle thru it flawlessly this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
    I have douched my box.
    Awww just for me? Hahaha, I sent a lil something to your box.

S&W 10mm's are legit. Danged things have gone through the roof in price. I picked up a former trooper's 1076 with the decock feature. Sweet shooting piece.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).