Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New B 52s

New B 52s

The party band of the 80s is back, looking and sounding good. Great dance music.

Talking

One of the worst bands of our generation? Perhaps. Discuss....
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Actually they were pretty entertaining in the early '80s. By the time "Love Shack" came around they had definitely jumped the shark.

Lighten up Rev. It's all about the party. And this CD is quite an improvement in, um, musicianship. Sorta.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    One of the worst bands of our generation? Perhaps. Discuss....
    Most annoying vocals for sure. I'm getting angry just thinking about their obnoxious little faux accent dribble.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Dude, he's gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Dude, he's gay.
    That doesn't even come close to explaining it.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

This actually came up on a radio show I was listening to a couple weeks ago. They mentioned how it was funny how Fred Schneider of the B-52's sounds gay when he sings and that's sort of rare. Other gay singers such as Freddie Mercury and Elton John don't "sound gay" like Schneider does.

They're basically a novelty act, with Schneider's accent being one of their main gimmicks. The new single is on the radio all the time out here and it is campy as all hell. I don't hate everything about it, which is about as far as I'm prepared to go in praise. And I'll cop to listening to Cosmic Thing about a thousand times when I was in 6th grade, so it's not like I'm a knee-jerk B-52s hater.

TINNNNNNNN ROOOF!!!!!!!

rusted

Its odd you guys say that, because I never thought the guy sounded "gay", just weird, and I always though the girl sounded just as bizarre and pretentious.

They're really some of the only music that I actually get pissed off if I have to listen to it.

I actually stumbled across "Rock Lobster" on the radio this morning. If my radio dial had suddenly stopped working, I would have considered veering into oncoming traffic.

I honestly consider the B-52's self titled debut album (1979) a classic. If Rock Lobster doesn't get your booty shakin' in the last 2 minutes you need to remove the stick from your ass.

And Planet Claire is even better, as is Dance this Mess Around.

That said I stopped caring since Kate left to go play with Iggy and REM. Never the same after that.

well, she's back. And looking good.

I'm shocked at all the B-52s hating in this thread.

Shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    That said I stopped caring since Kate left to go play with Iggy and REM. Never the same after that.
    I thought "Candy" and that one from Out of Time were pretty good...

(the B-52s greatest hits collection is well worth owning; not so much the individual albums)

Hmmm...I always liked the B-52s simply because they were so bad and knew it. The unbelievably bad vocal whine of the guy, the big hairdos, cheesy clothes.

The height of kitsch.

Like the Ramones, Sex Pistols and lots of bands of that era, the point was to have no technique, just make a bunch of noise and fart around. Lo-Tek, the Wipers, etc around the PNW the same way.

As for the worst bands, try Angel (Punky Meadows) or anyone of the glamorously flopping big hair bands of the 80's.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    well, she's back. And looking good.
    She is openly lesbian.
    Bummer, unless she's closet bi, I suppose.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Bummer, unless she's closet bi, I suppose.
    All of them are bi when they meet Benny.

Rock lobster at Red Rocks. I rather enjoyed that.

The fact that they know they suck doesn't make them any more enjoyable in my book. I suck and admittedly you wouldn't want to be anywhere near me if I start signing.

Yeah, I suck at that too...

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    The fact that they know they suck doesn't make them any more enjoyable in my book. I suck and admittedly you wouldn't want to be anywhere near me if I start signing.
    I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to be anywhere near you period.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Hmmm...I always liked the B-52s simply because they were so bad and knew it.
    Right, and the whole point is to have fun, not to be great musicians. People who can't enjoy "Rock Lobster" need to get the stick out of their asses.

I respectfully disagree with the Seattle contingent. Arguing against subjective interpretation is a tough row to hoe.