Concussion wait time?

So how fucked am I? Saturday at Copper I was doing some training runs for the skierX for usasa nationals. From what i remember, i hit a kicker wrong, landed funky, and slammed hard on th right side of my face. Lots of pain, blood, and i think i was screaming. Ended up with 3 stitches in my uper eyelid, and a beaut of a shiner.

Yesterday and today im pretty much with it, i get a little confused still, and my speech is still a little strange somtimes. I took a couple runs this morning, really really easy ones, and i felt like i was starting all over agian. runs that icoudl normally rip down, i was doing granny turns all the way. I know im not goin to be 100%, but i expected a little more from myself.

How long should i expect it to take before things are normal again? Im not really in teh best of spirits right now.

Ohyeah, heres a pic of how not to do it:
    Last edited by Provocyclist; 03-31-2008 at 12:45 PM.

wait longer than a week. I was really stupid and thought that once the headaches went away i'd be fine. 5 days later i hit a pretty big cliff and it got a lot worse, oh and see a doctor to make sure your brain isn't bleeding

Quote Originally Posted by Provocyclist View Post
    im pretty much with it, i get a little confused still, and my speech is still a little strange somtimes.
    Having met you, I think that sounds like an improvement.

Holy shit, man! Take some time and heal!

I have had 2 serious concussions (lost some memory both times) and it took me at least 10 days to get back to "normal."

No or poor memory of the incident and immediate aftermath = serious concussion.

You will probably feel normal in another 2-3 days (I did at least), but you shouldn't do anything that risks thumping your head again for at least 10-14 days. Your brain is especially fragile during this healing period and a re-injury can make things much worse, like potential coma/permanent traumatic brain injury/death worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    No or poor memory of the incident and immediate aftermath = serious concussion.

You will probably feel normal in another 2-3 days (I did at least), but you shouldn't do anything that risks thumping your head again for at least 10-14 days. Your brain is especially fragile and SWOLLEN during this healing period and a re-injury can make things much worse, like potential coma/permanent traumatic brain injury/death worse.
    Keep it on the low end. There is not much room in your head right now due to swelling of the brain. I have concussed myself 3 times and each time the healing time lengthens.

With that mug and the description I would take min. 2 weeks off to rest the melon. Ouch.

basically you want to wait until all symptoms of your concussion are gone at rest and with light exerction before returning to any type of activity where you might wack your head again. Consider getting a medical clearance before racing again.

It may be weeks before you feel "right" again. The best thing you can do right now is take it easy and not do very much that is stressful for your brain. Limit the TV/Xbox, get lost of sleep and no alcohol/ other recreational substances...
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

Ouch.

Slurred or difficult speech, or even having a hard time getting out words is major sign of a concussion. Any lingering headaches after 4 or 5 days or anyhting else weird and I'd go get checked out by a doc.
    Bush got C's.... Obama probably failed lunch

As said by others, you've got symptoms of a fairly significant concussion. A repeat injury in a short time period is not worth risking (unless you want permanent damage). Talk to a doctor. I'm fairly confident that the doctor will strongly recommend that you lay off the racing for the rest of the season. Listen to him/her you may be quite literally putting your brain at risk for the rest of your life.
    "if the city is visibly one of humankind's greatest achievements, its uncontrolled evolution also can lead to desecration of both nature and the human spirit."
    -- Melvin G. Marcus 1979

As far as your brain is concerned, you're likely done for the season. You've got serious post-concussive symptoms and another blow to the head in the next 2-4 months could result in permanent damage. Sit down, go fishing, ski next year.
    Shut your eyes and think of somewhere. Somewhere cold and caked with snow.

Hry guys, thanks for the info and stuff. Ive just been takign it easy the past couple days. Yesterday i did some scoring for the skiiercross (writing numbers, and later watching different colors of bandana go across the finish line), nothing too mentally taxing. Today i went and shot some pics of boardercross, and skiied just enough to get to and from the course.
    Yeah, i figured this was the end of the season for me, but im not to bummed about it, sprins is around the corner anyway.

Just take it super super easy. It's not worth risking your entire life over a few extra ski days.

That being said, i had a "season ending" concussion back in December but still managed to get out for some good days. Smart? NO! But all things considered it wasn't the worst decision either. I'd never feel "normal" just sitting around all winter....