De studding studded tires?

Anyone ever just rip the studs out of their tires to make them summer compatible?

You can, but the studs will not go back in:

http://www.snowtire.info/forum/kb.php?mode=article&k=10

BLOOD SWEAT STEEL Guest
    I've found it easiest to use a sawzall or blowtorch.

I like to shoot them off, this guy taught me.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/f...f=7&order=desc

I just went out to the parking lot and pulled one out. Vice grips and serious tweakage.

It looks to be a 12 pack kind of job. I'm torn, do I drink a 12 pack and pull studs for 4-6 hours, or go drop the 6 bills for new truck tires.

The rubber compound is still going to suck in the summer whether the studs are there or not.

If you don't plan on using these tires next winter, and don't mind having to buy a new set anyway when these wear out in June, then go for it.
    As I rained blows upon him, I realized there had to be another way.

oh no way. I didn't take the difference in rubber between summer and winter. I bet you are right, when the pavement get super hot they will "decompose"

thanks, you just stopped me from drinking 12 beers.

Yeah, they'll fall apart, and even before they do, they will generally not be the best tires to drive on. Sort of unsafe, particularly at higher speeds on curvy N Cascade roads.

But don't let that stop you from drinking 12 beers.

What the hell kind of fancy ass tires you guys been buying?

When I first moved to tahoe to exist in utter poverty as a ski bum, I pulled out studs from tires and used them in the summer all the time. The ones I've had certainly didn't wear any differently.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I have de-studded tires on my truck (I think they were just some all-season tires that had been studded in the first place). They work.
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

Why do you ask?

If you had some studded tires that were not gona be good enough for next winter I could see ripping the studs out and then using them up completely

I don't think a tire store will re-stud tires once they have been used ...anybody?

stop being a poor ass and get some non-winter tires mounted on some steelies. You'll want those studded tires next winter and the winter after that and the winter after that.

burn out?
    why not buy a summer set and keep the studded ones for winter? Even de-studded, they wont grip like a summer tire
    Live

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    What the hell kind of fancy ass tires you guys been buying?

When I first moved to tahoe to exist in utter poverty as a ski bum, I pulled out studs from tires and used them in the summer all the time. The ones I've had certainly didn't wear any differently.
    You're right, it really depends on what exact tires are in question here. Some modern studded tires use a softer compound, which wouldn't be good for summer use. Some old school ghetto ones use an all season compound.

Former tire guy here, the best tool to use is an awl or a narrow tipped standard screwdriver, the awl works better, the stud has a flat base you insert the awl along the shaft of the stud then just pop it out. Destudded tires certainly can be restudded if there is enough tread depth remaining to accommodate the stud usually 9mm is the minimum. Most tire shops at least here in Alaska will happily restud your tires for you for $25 a tire provided you are willing to wait a day or two for them as restudding is a cunty motherfucker.

I do it all the time, I buy a new set of studded tires in the begining of the winter, replace the missing studs halfway thru the year, then pull the studs, run them as all season tires all summer, then I do it again in the fall. I usually sell my old tires for about $100 with about 1/2 the tread left and pay about $200 for a new set.
    A long thin screwdriver works best, work it under the stud (not too far) and pry up, they pop right out. It takes me about 10 minutes a tire to remove all of them.