Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool TR: Chute & Sluice, Tuckerman Ravine 2008-03-25

Yet another day at the office (day 8 on the mountain since January). Skied the Chute and the Sluice from the tippy top of the wind slab where it meets the gnarly ice.

Got to Pinkham late at 9:30 and rocketed up to Tux, passing Hojo's after 80 minutes and reaching the bowl in 100 minutes. Starting to get a little in shape for Cham carrying around 2 liters of water, crampons, ice axe, avi gear plus other sundry heavy gear.

The snow rangers were toiling away at their snow forecast, trying to decide precisely what the avalanche rating should be. But, commitment to their work (and perfect weather) compelled them to take multiple runs on the awesome snow in order to be really safe! Their considerations included several layers of ice with wind slab from 2" to more than a meter thick resting on the most recent layer of ice.

My plan was to get on some steep stuff, so I geared up and marched up the Chute. The snow was less consolidated than over by the Lip and Sluice (read powdery), and this gave pause. Riding an avo out of the Chute onto the hardpack floor below would not be fun. The Chute bowl was awfully steep, and the conditions forced one onto the steepest line (ice out left around the arrete). At the very top where the wind slab meets the ice, I dug out a major platform on which to gear up. Digging a 3' deep ledge into a 50º slope is a good opportunity to check out the layering (and amortize carrying the shovel around). Conclusion: Don't blow out the outside edge of the ledge and pitch down to ravine floor!

Low point of the day: Put a front point through my Schoeller pants while kicking out the platform. Goes nicely with the other holes from too tight tree skiing.

All geared up. Carefully avoiding some convex snow below the platform, I cut the slope towards the left in a skidding traverse to see if it was going to bust loose. It didn't! Made several jumpturns with sharp cuts across the slope to control my speed and further convince myself that it wasn't going to go. It didn't. Cool! Naturally, there was the usual sloughing of surface layers at every turn. On exiting the Chute proper, I banged hard left and traversed across the head wall over to the top of lunch rocks (staying above 45º ice on the Chute fan). Felt a little slidy out in the middle so I hit the gas.

While I was hanging out at lunch rock, Chris the caretaker cruised by making some stylish tele turns with his buddy. They had skied from the summit and down Right Gully. They reported excellent conditions on the summit snow fields.

After some lunch, I marched up the snow ranger's boot track to the Sluice ice fall, and then, continued up to the top where the wind slab met the ice. Again, I dug a major platform and suited up. Over here, the snow was really well consolidated and there seemed little worry about the whole thing cutting loose. Nice jumpturns down this one led to some minor ripping on the lower part of the Lip.

These were two awesome descents in winter snow (no corn). One definitely did not want to trip up high and tomahawk down to the floor! The BRO Model 174 Stiff skis truly inspire confidence on this kind of terrain because they are so stable and polyvalent. Also, digging out major starting platforms sure takes the edge off and provides great perches from which to survey the ravine. I'm really happy to get such great conditions that enabled me to ski both the Chute and the Sluice on the same day.

The descent down the Little Head Wall and the Sherburne was basic in good conditions. The Little Head Wall has filled in well. The Sherburne is quite well manicured by all the skier traffic.

There were a number of parties skiing Right Gully. The snow conditions on the North side were wind slab chalk with some minor solar transformation late in the day. Most everyone was kicking up rooster tails of powder, but the best snow was definitely in the Chute. You know Spring is near when the A-frame crowd with alpine bindings turns up.

GPS Track

Route of back country skiing of the Chute and Sluice 2008-03-25

Boott Spur Gully, Cathedral, Dodge's Drop, Hillman's Highway, Duchess and Dead End Gully, March 25, 2008.

Snow ranger testing the conditions on The Lip, Tuckerman Ravine, March 25, 2008.

The Chute from the ravine floor (note color difference between wind slab and ice), Tuckerman Ravine, March 25, 2008.

Snow Ranger conscientiously testing the moderate rating on lower Sluice for a second time, Tuckerman Ravine, March 25, 2008.

Snow Ranger conscientiously verifying moderate rating on the Lip for a second time, Tuckerman Ravine, March 25, 2008.

The Head Wall, Lip, Sluice, Right Gully and Lobster Claw were snow loaded by NW winds of 148.5 mph during the previous storm cycle, Tuckerman Ravine, March 25, 2008.

The summit cone of Mount Washington from The Chute, Tuckerman Ravine, March 25, 2008.

Sluice, Right Gully, Lobster Claw and Connection Gully, Tuckerman Rvine, March 25, 2008.

Impressing the peanut gallery on Right Gully, Tuckerman Ravine, March 25, 2008.

Jumpturn tracks on the Chute, Tuckerman Ravine, March 25, 2008.

Chris styling some tele turns on lower Sluice, Tuckerman Ravine, March 25, 2008.

Chris turning onto the lower Lip, Tuckerman Ravine, March 25, 2008.

Telemarker cruising down Right Gully, Tuckerman Ravine, March 25, 2008.

Looking back at the Chute from the top of Sluice, Tuckerman Ravine, March 25, 2008.

Looking down Sluice from the top, Tuckerman Ravine, March 25, 2008.

Obligatory photo of the low angle from the high angle terrain: Wildcat from the top of Sluice, Tuckerman Ravine, March 25, 2008.

Jumpturn tracks on Sluice coming in from the right, Tuckerman Ravine, March 25, 2008.

Skier approaching the ravine floor on the lower Lip, Tuckerman Ravine, March 25, 2008.
    Last edited by jumpturn; 03-27-2008 at 12:14 PM.

word... pissed i couldn't make it. next time.

absotlutely glorious day huh? looks amazing. good job

got any plans for a dodge's mission?

Quote Originally Posted by gpetrics View Post
    any plans for a dodge's mission?
    Super day. No Wind but still cold enough for POW!

Dodge's needs some wet snow or some sun/warmth because it's a full-on ice rink right now.

Of course, I'll be up for it after I get back from Cham ..... stay tuned for the Chamonix Redux.

Nice work and nice pics. Easy on the emoticons.

Hoping to perhaps get up there on Sunday. Working logistics.
    Uno mas

cant wait for this weekend
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

Very well played. WOW!
    ‎"Powder snow skiing is not fun. It's life, fully lived, life lived in a blaze of reality." -Dolores LaChapelle

dude
    emoticons everywhere
    for real?
    how long did it take to find those

Quote Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
    how long did it take to find those
    It's easy: Let some one else find them!
    http://www.absolutepunk.net/misc.php?do=showsmilies

Righteous. Way to get after it. Chris and his boys have to sufficiently test the snow up there. I'm pretty sure its in the job description!

Dodges.... tasty.

thanks for the pics...i did tuckerman back in college and it was a great time!
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Building a fighting force of extra-ordinary magnitude
    solid EC TR. love to see people already gettin at tucks!!!

but you have GOT to throttle back on the emoticon things. seriously.
    thats new hampshire as fuck

We ain't eager to be legal, so please leave me with the keys to your Jeep Eagle.

Quote Originally Posted by vinzclortho View Post
    ... you have GOT to throttle back on the emoticon things. seriously.
    Good point. I can put them in my avatar!

BTW, once the sun corns up the ice layers or a moist snow falls, Mount Washington will be set for epic Spring skiing. There is tons of snow and many ephemeral lines will be filled in. Should also be skiing back to the road for quite some time!

Sweet! We're headed up there the weekend of May 2-4. Can't wait. Am praying for a warm bluebird day that weekend.

Nice TR. Looks... firm.
    Fresh Tracks are the ultimate graffitti.
    Schmear

Set forth the pattern to succeed.
    Sam Kavanagh

Friends of Tuckerman Ravine

Quote Originally Posted by Thatcher View Post
    Sweet! We're headed up there the weekend of May 2-4. Can't wait. Am praying for a warm bluebird day that weekend.
    I will also be heading up that weekend...with some virgins. May need to get away for a while and explore...I am praying with you brotha!

That top looks Icey
    My nominiation for "Best use of smileys in a TR"
    Hello darkness my old friend

seriously though, sweet TR

££££££ (cause the dollar is now worth dog crap)
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

I need to make a trip up there this spring!

Dore

Dave, let me know if you're gonna go up on Sunday...
    was gonna get some hiking in this weeekend, and if you'll be up there i'll plan my route accordingly and slash some skis onto the pack.

Nice work... 148.5 mph winds = some funky crusts I bet. I'd imagine that a lot of the snow would sublimate at those types of wind speeds as well.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by ulty_guy View Post
    ££££££ (cause the dollar is now worth dog crap)
    Yup, but I already have my pass and I can always join the homeless people camping on the Col des Cosmiques .... unlike the Brits, who think nothing of 4-star accommodations, or just outright buying the place!

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    ... 148.5 mph winds = some funky crusts I bet.
    The wind scours anything it touches down to the most recent ice layer. Wind loading only occurs on sheltered facets, and these slabs can be pretty soft or kind of chalky.