Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    For boots, I've never had the choice to try a men's boot since I'm a size 22.5 so at that size, I even have trouble finding a store that carries several options of high-end women's boots in that size....

For skis, I've never even tried a women's ski. I'll be trying out a women's ski this weekend though.

Not a fan of flowers and sparkles but at the end of the day, I don't care how my skis/boots look so I guess if I find a women's specific model that suits me, I might have to consider it...

The last GF was a level 3 instructor at some point long ago but I think she was 23.5 or less and always used kids or junior racer boots ... apparently way cheaper too

attention umpalumpas, and people that had there feed bound as a child

lange exclusive
    lange FR110W
    lange WC130/150
    are all made in a size 3 or 265mm-268mm
    salomon idol, scarlet, all in a 22 or 265
    fulltilt in a 267mm

I have all of the above in stock, in banff, and on sale, plus the old stock lange WC 100 team in 266.

end spam, return to rant

mr fucking public service eh?

bump for ladies looking for advice on boots.....

http://www.skicanadamag.com/Feedback/2010/BG2011.html

toned down version (less bitchy) but still, I'm in print...

I'm a tall woman and I gave up a long time ago looking for "woman-specific" gear...not that ever really went into a store looking for woman-specific gear. My woman specific 60L backpacking pack is too short in the back length to be comfortable for heavy loads and my feet are too big and wide for ladies shoes. I had to reassure the salesman at the checkout that I meant to choose the wide version of superfeet insoles the other day.

Bonus though: I can borrow my guy friends' boots before dropping the money on my own gear :-D

"There's a Vas Deferens between men and women."

-Dwayne Charbonneau, my 9th grade Health teacher

Quote Originally Posted by Van_skier View Post
    For boots, I've never had the choice to try a men's boot since I'm a size 22.5 so at that size, I even have trouble finding a store that carries several options of high-end women's boots in that size....
    and back for this year is a 21.0 boot from technica. only a 90 flex, but 22 outer and 21 inner so it can fit in binding systems and still uses an adult toe/heel. I ordered 10 pairs and asked for a 130 flex, but this is close

Wait, it's a 21 liner, or there's extra plastic in it?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

21 liner, 21 shell, 22 toe and heel lug.

it is still a 265mm shell on the outside, but the inside of the boots shell is 21 (old 260mm)

Which model is it?

My wife has pretend feet - Size 5 - 5 1/2 - and we constantly have a hell of a time getting her boots that fit.

Currently she's in a Technica Diablo Jr. boot that was punched to fit her wide-ish feet. They aren't the most comfortable for her and naturally the calf is far too narrow.

Skiing in ill fitting boots is something I wouldn't wish upon anyone, let alone my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim J View Post
    Women and men are different in a lot of ways, if you haven't noticed.

My wife does not love skiing as much as I do. She isn't as good a skier either. If having a matchy matchy outfit and flowery skis makes her feel good about herself and makes her have a better time on the mountain, who are you or I to tell her that it's wrong.

There is a reason that you and I are not in charge of marketing for a ski company. Most of the $$ spent on skiing is not by the TGR crowd. For every bro/brah there are 100 gapers.
    This. My girl doesn't spend time on the interweb research ski flexes, lengths/widths, binding styles, etc. She goes with me to a ski shop, finds the prettiest pink flowery ski, regardless of length and shape, and says "I like that one". She also happens to be the quintessential woman that ski (and bike) companies seem to envision when designing gear: petite, non-agressive, aesthetic minded, etc. So the whole women's specific sucks thing doesn't apply here because it is clearly doing something positive for her.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickeymotto View Post
    This. My girl doesn't spend time on the interweb research ski flexes, lengths/widths, binding styles, etc. She goes with me to a ski shop, finds the prettiest pink flowery ski, regardless of length and shape, and says "I like that one". She also happens to be the quintessential woman that ski (and bike) companies seem to envision when designing gear: petite, non-agressive, aesthetic minded, etc. So the whole women's specific sucks thing doesn't apply here because it is clearly doing something positive for her.
    My wife is just the opposite. She doesn't care about the way the gear looks at all. She has a prejudice against women's specific gear, and will choose men's gear if it works for her. Her belief is that women's gear typically isn't as good as the stuff made for men. Her current favorite ski is a men's Gotama, which she chose in spite of the fact that there are women's versions available. I just bought her some DPS 112RP Yvette skis. I had to convince her that, in this case, the women's version would be just as good as the men's version.

I have a love/hate relationship with all the butterflies and flowers and glitter on women's gear. I hate that it seems to be the default for everything. But I love the little butterfly on Bern's women's helmets. And I'm sort of obsessed with the pink damask 2011 K2 Sweet Luv graphics. They don't improve the gear in any way, but damn if I don't feel snazzy when I have gear that makes me happy. I'd never buy piece of crap skis or outerwear for the sake of a cute design, though. Gotta be both practical and pretty.

Subscribing to read later.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingleberry View Post
    pissing in a sink? fucking rookies. Shit in an oven, then you'll be pro.

bump for the lady that came in and HAD to have a 27 "womans" boot, due to larger calves.

(odds are she needed a 25 max and would have been fine)

"He thinks the carpet pissers did this?"

yup, marketing is why.

G3 has definitely reached a new height of ridiculousness with this trend with their women's specific BC gear

Although, I do have to say thanks for enabling cheap overstocks of the "girl" skins!

Quote Originally Posted by NatEE View Post
    G3 has definitely reached a new height of ridiculousness with this trend with their women's specific BC gear

Although, I do have to say thanks for enabling cheap overstocks of the "girl" skins!
    Yes. I've got "girl" skins on one of my skis. Got them on closeout.

BUMP for the new year and remember

"don't believe the hype"

bump for a new season of crazy girls.

"people with a limited range of motion in the ankle need a boot that is stiffer, people that are lighter and less aggressive need a softer boot."

Why stiff boots for peeps w limited R.O.M?
    My GF has very limited range of motion in the ankle and is light and not all that advanced let alone aggressive. I'm having a hard time getting her to bend her ankles/put knees forward. I would've guessed a soft boot would help her flex the ankle and a stiff one would prevent this? Curious about your thoughts here.

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    "people with a limited range of motion in the ankle need a boot that is stiffer, people that are lighter and less aggressive need a softer boot."

Why stiff boots for peeps w limited R.O.M?
    My GF has very limited range of motion in the ankle and is light and not all that advanced let alone aggressive. I'm having a hard time getting her to bend her ankles/put knees forward. I would've guessed a soft boot would help her flex the ankle and a stiff one would prevent this? Curious about your thoughts here.
    Because if the boot is too soft for her, then it will allow her knee to drive forward and the lack of support combined with her limited ROM will cause her heel to lift. A boot that is stiff, but still allows her get her weight over the ball of her foot will be far more comfortable for her as it will not allow her knee to travel too far forward and consequently cause her heel to lift.