Finding the "Right" Freeride board.....

whatsup everybody,

Im looking for a good freeride board to handle well in powder, backcountry, and pretty much everything ungroomed.
    I own a Rome anthem 162 but feel like i need something a little longer/wider for freeride at my size: 6'1" 220lbs. 10.5 boot.

the boards im looking at are:
    neversummer titan 164 or 169
    neversummer t5 165 or 168
    and
    prior khyber 165

Any other suggestions as to boards and sizes.

thanks

Are those legnths in centimeters?
    quietly gruntin'

The Neversummers are both nice boards, I ride a t5.

I'm 5'9", 170ish and ride a 163 and sometimes want a longer board. At your size, I wouldn't consider the 165, and I might even think about the 172...

For the Khyber, Prior publishes recommended lengths by rider weight and you fall in the 170cm range.
    Youth is wasted on the young

^^haha. love the username
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

cool thanks for the info.

big up wes
    Last edited by DeanMoriarty; 03-26-2008 at 01:13 AM.

Any thoughts on the burton custom x?

I don't know anything about Burton boards other than they seem overpriced and I hear they are less durable than most.

Just my opinion, but it would have to be a seriously killer deal on a Custom X, for me to consider it over Neversummer, Prior, Arbor or Libtech.
    Youth is wasted on the young

The Custom X was a pretty good ride when I borrowed it from a buddy for a few runs two years ago. It was more a freestyle stick back then, and by just looking at its specs this season, it´s even more freestyle oriented. Would love to take one out for a spin, still.

These days, I ride an Arbor Mystic 162 from last season, bought as a lightly used demo board. It kills it anywhere on the mountain, and is a touch better in natural terrain than on groomers. Too short for you, though. Any of the Neversummers mentioned in a longer length would be desirable (I have yet to ride one of those, shamefully).

I've been riding the arbor abacus 164 which is their powder/big mountain specific board and it's been great.

I'm 5'11", 205lbs and it holds up. Recommended weight up to 220lbs.

dims from arborsports.com

Length: 164.6
    Effective Edge: 128.0
    Sidecut Radius: 10.5 / 9.6 / 10.5m
    Tip/Waist/Tail Width: 31.2 / 26.3 / 29.5
    Tip/Tail Length: 23.0 / 16.0
    Set Back: 5.0
    Stance Range (inches): 18.40 - 24.70"
    Suggested Rider Weight: 150-220 lbs

Big ass shovel up front, 5cm setback for the ref stance, and it runs great through crud, groomers, anything.

Plus great wood topsheet.

Highly recommended.

I rde a Never Summer legacy 170 and a t5 172. Im 6'5 and 195lbs. I think at your height and weight the t5 172 would be a great freeride board if you dont ride switch. It will hold and edge through just about any condition you can throw at it, and it is sweet in powder with the longer soft nose. with a 10.5 boot you should fit on it perfectly

If you ride switch alot, you might want to look at the Legacy too. Its a stiff freeride board with a twinish shape and a more centered stance. I like riding it more than the t5 in most conditions. Its got a real snappy flex, so when you bend it into a carve it snaps you out of it into the next turn really well. The only time I ever have issues with it is at super high speed or in deep powder, where I like the setback stance and mellower sidecut of the t5 better.

FWIW my room mate is smaller than you and found the 165 Khyber split to be too small. It also had some quality issues, but he rides a lot and I'd be very surprised if they don't warranty it given the amount of problems. He says he'd go for another shape, but I can't remember what his complaints were, I think mainly to do with stability at speed. That could be because of it being a split, but also I think he wasn't sold on the taper.

Burton Supermodel, Malolo, or Fish depending how much of a pure pow board you want.
    supermodel - pow / all mountain (70/30)
    malolo - power / am (85/15)
    fish - pure pow (100%)

word,
    thanks for all the info..
    the khyber is a little more $ than i'd like to spend.
    plus ive never seen it anywhere other than their website.
    im really digging the never summer t5 and will probably try to find one of those eventually.

in the mean time i might grab this custom x since i can get a pretty good deal on it

Just my 2 cents worth, i've been riding atomic boards for the last 5 years and would highly recommend the atomic dreamraider. Comes in 161, 165 and 170. It has a mid wide shape between 25 and 25.8mm for the respective lengths. It is the only board that I have been able to pass my friends on cat tracks that ski. Highly durable and plenty of feel. Good luck.

you're my size and I won't ride anything shorter than a 168 for pure mountain rippage
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

The other day I demoed '09 167 Lib Sunk Ape w/BTX and I and it rode pow, ollied like mad,did it all. I've been riding 165 powder mullet w/ MTX and cant ride regular sidecut anymore. The Mullet does it all if your into directional but rides switch well for its shape.Nose rides awesome with that huge nose. Its a bit more set up and I've been jibbing and riding pow w/ the Mullet while the Emmagator 66 sits there collecting dust. Even though its better suited for conditions it has old sidecut and MTX is that much better. I'm gonna drop$ for BTX next season. Prolly Skunk Ape or TRS. 165ish.

For me nothing rides like a Lib. Soft but no chatter at high speeds. A bigger guy might get them to chatter but Im lighter.
    Last edited by Sponge McBragg; 04-04-2008 at 12:10 AM.