Arrow Rev's 03 Movie Reviews! Today's Feature: JUNKSHOW DIARIES

Matchstick Productions' Focused

Saw MSP's Focused on Saturday night, and I have to say it wasn't as bad as some mags/mins have made it out to sound. I really didn' think it was too jib heavy, and I really don't enjoy rail footage, etc.

Highs:

*Music--I really dug the tunes in this, from Slightly Stoopid to the Scorpions to everything in between that I wasn't at all familiar with.

*CR Johnson--Say wht you want about the new schoolers and park rats, but this kid is killing it in the big mountains. BIG AK lines skied super-g style with multiple airs and stylee smoove action. This guy is the next Morrison.

*Morrison--Simply rediculous. While this wasn't his best film (Ski Movie I and II come to mind), this guy is straight redonkulous.

*McConkey--Shane has never been my favorite skier, overall, for whatever reason. But his helmet footy and 1000ft. sideways slides are sickening.

*Comedy--This movie actually has some pretty funny shit in it. Eric Pollard's first segment pokes fun at film making and the rockstar scene, while Jon McMurray will make you laugh with his poaching of suburban roofs in bushes, city buses, etc. And of course, Shane and friends crack the crowd up during their segments, too.

Lows:

*Not enough big mountain footage. While it wasn't "too much jibbing", there wasn't enough white knuckle "kick your mom big mountain" footage, either.

*Not enough Gafneyesque panoramic scenery! I'm a big fan of Immersion and the landscape footage scene. Not much in this film--They need to unleash the beast!

*No really coherent plot or theme. I know, I know...it's a ski flick. But I like a little coherency.

*Not enough Sarah or Wendy. I like watching these girls kill it out there. They show one shot of Sarah goin' big in the back country, so I thought we'd get to see her rip some BC, but then they cut to the usual rails, then it was done.

*Recycled footage...like Alto said, they show the same shots from different angles over and over, throughout the movie.

Structure Grade: C+

Music Grade: A-

Athelete Grade: A-

Big Mountain Grade: B-

Jib Grade: B+

Cinematography Grade: C+

OVERALL: B

edit: Thanks, phunkula

Team 13's The Junkshow Diaries

So last night The Junkshow Diaries came to town, playing at an actual movie theatre a few blocks from my place. This changed the dynamics just a bit because a) it felt more like a movie with a great sound system but b)they couldn't get it quite focused.

Overall, I loved this film. Remember that I am a "big mountain" type guy at heart, so my review might be skewed by your standards. But man, this film has the big mountain lines, sick airs, deeeeeeeeeeep powder shots, all the while managing to sneak in plenty of jibbing.

Highs:

*Powder--This fucking movie will make you feel like a 10 yearold watching his first dirty movie. I'm talking full submersions here, and long, eloquent scenes of folks harvesting mello but SO DEEP montana fluff. If you like powder skiing, this aspect alone makes it a must see.

*Big Mountain Melee'--If you lean towards big mountain skiing as opposed to jib/park footage, this movie will not disappoint. Switzerland, Norway, Montana, Wyoming--this one has disgusting footage from all over the globe of spines, slides, chutes and airs.

*Phunk

*Music--These guys also get it done, using a lot of music I'd never heard before. I remember during the is one segment with a band that started with a "Liva..." (Team 13 puts their names in the corner when the segment starts-very cool), I looked around and saw several people nodding their heads with the tune. Good ears on these guys.

*Soul--I simply thought that this movie just resonated with soul. A fresh movie company is bound to shake things up a bit with that fire raging under their collective ass, and Team 13 doesn't disappoint. With some interesting camera work and filter work (presumably), they pull it off nicely. Add a great intro and some funked up music, and you got yourself a good flick.

Lows:

*Camera work--While these guys get pretty creative, most of the camera work during actual segments is just not exciting. It is by no means bad or lacking, but it doesn't really grab you. The exceptions being a very nice powder segment shot in sort of a chodachrome look, and a very well done intro.

*Phunk--My mang doesn't get enough time to shine. And I wish I would have known Bad Roo's real name.

*Coherency/plot--Again, not much tying this thing together. Even less than Focussed.

Structure Grade: C-

Music Grade: A

Athelete Grade: B

Big Mountain Grade: A

Jib Grade: B+

Cinematography Grade: B-

OVERALL: A-
    Last edited by The Reverend Floater; 10-14-2003 at 08:41 AM.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Psst! Jon McMurray is the name you're looking for.
    vapor lock - bitch.

Great write up! Thanks Rev. and thanks for posting it here !
    "When restraint and courtesy are added to strength, the latter becomes irresistible."
    Mohandas Gandhi

Whoa, did I just see a stealth ninja?

Originally posted by iceman
    Whoa, did I just see a stealth ninja?

There is no stealth ninja.

The first rule of stealth ninjas is...

Nice writeup, Rev. I'm curious to see how maggot film reviews jive with Powder's.

Nice write up Rev. Can't wait to get my copy and sit in the living room with my ski boots on!
    Speaking of which, mine hasn't showed up. Anyone get their copy of the Focused DVD delivered yet?

So focused is an overall B.

What do the other MSP flicks rate?

My top pick is still Global Stormings. An A+ rating in my book which none of the latter MSP films seem to quite match, especailly for sheer quantity of Big Mountain riding. The Chamonix and AK sections are immense + tons of quality Fischer. (It's frickin cool watching chicks rip big lines)

I'd give Ski Movie a B

Ski Movie 2 A-

Ski Movie 3 B
    "Do you know what PBR stands for? Delicious."

bump for Junkshow
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Thumbs up

Originally posted by SkiDawg93546
    My top pick is still Global Stormings. An A+ rating in my book which none of the latter MSP films seem to quite match
    I couldn't agree more. By far my favorite ski movie. Talk about an explosion of new sickngnargnar. Seth's part is pretty much just as crazy an any of his stuff since, and the canadian air force blew right up (go vinnie). Good Call skidawg.

does any one know how Team 13 gets all the footage that they have in their movies? I meam they are showing all these riping pros and thought they were a tiny little production compiny?

Arrow

Rev,

What other flick reviews are you gonna do?
    Balls Deep in the 'Ho

High Life and hopefully Omen's flick, if I can find it. Why? You find my reviews plentiful and exploding with helpful hints?

Rev,
    Your reviews are top notch and blow away anything I've seen written up in mags. No biased bullsht here, just a good honest reviewing. Keep up the good work!

Well speak of Satan!

Omen, I can't get to any of your tour dates, homey. Sorry, I've heard good things about your flick.

Originally posted by The Reverend Floater
    High Life and hopefully Omen's flick, if I can find it. Why? You find my reviews plentiful and exploding with helpful hints?
    I've got Omen's flick on order, just wondering if you had done one yet or are planning to.
    Balls Deep in the 'Ho

Thumbs up

Killer Rev. I'm not sure Junk Show being out of focus was the theater's fault either. The two ski flicks I have seen on real screens have been a little out of focus. I think the 16mm film just isn't clear enough to stay sharp on a screen that size.

Where do I get Junkshow?

Originally posted by epic
    Where do I get Junkshow?
    here