Thread: Shoulder Injury

Shoulder Injury

Yesterday I took a hard spill on a race course, I'm not sure how I landed. Immediately I had a hard time putting weight on the injured shoulder to get my skis back on. I skied the rest of the day with bearable pain, but with limited motion and strength.

The shoulder feels stable, but I am still unable to hold it out to the side without pain. I do have full range of motion but movement from the arc with my arm straight out to being raised above me head is painful. There's only minor discomfort if my arm is at my side or when laying on the opposite shoulder.

I suspect an impingement and have been treating myself with OTC NSAIDs and ice. Anyone out there have any exercises to suggest to strengthen the muscles? I know a physical therapist that recommends massage, has anyone had luck with that?

What about skiing the rest of the season? In Michigan we only have 3-4 weeks left, I'd like to get my fix in before biking weather.

impingement is no usually an acute injury from an impact like that. I am guessing at more of an AC joint separation but without an exam or a good history it is impossible to tell.

Go see your primary care doc if it persists.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com