TR: Sugarloaf Mtn. (MI, not ME). Feb 21, 2008

So this TR will contain neither sick pow or huge hucks. I just figured I've been posting on and off for a few years, and have provided no proof that my feet have ever touched snow. So here it is.

I hiked the long defunct Sugarloaf Mountain in good old Northern Michigan. Nobody had the balls to do it with me except my 5 year old Lab who has been severely under-exercised since I've been away at school.

Weather was about 26 degrees, scattered to broken clouds, and no wind. I'm not gonna lie, the snow sucked. It hadn't snowed for a few days, and it was pretty well wind and sun packed -- not to mention the damn snow-mo-scooters.

Disclaimer: Sugarloaf is private property. Anyone thinking this is a good idea, please get proper permission before hiking. If you can't figure out how, PM me.

The entrance...a whopping 500 ft of vert.

The "I'm worn out, I'm taking a damn break" shot.

Ranger, in hot pursuit of the oh-so-elusive Michigan Snow Snake.

Buzzing the tower.

And heading up the underbrush removal crew. By the way - Sugarloaf went out of business in the first place because they were paying employees with Milk-Bones and Beggin' Strips. Looks like the plan is starting to work out.

Ok, enough dog pictures. Now the scenic ones.

North facing, Good Harbor Bay.

Lime Lake

Little Traverse Lake

And the "action" shots.

Run 1, on "Wall". Ranger might have smoked my ass on the way up, but he sure had a rough time keeping up on the way down.

Sugarloaf's only chute -- or maybe couloir?

And lastly, what used to be the steepest run under the bridge. Passionately known as "Awful, Awful".

That's it. I'll try to find something a little more "stoke" for the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard7763 View Post

I'll try to find something a little more "stoke" for the next one.
    I don't know about you, but a chute full of slaplings is the only STOKE I need!

When I fist saw the title, I thought you meant the Sugarloaf Mt. north of Marquette. I rode that on my bike in winter once. Very grim.

Solid work. The 'Loaf has been calling out to me across the county on recent bluebird days.

With some positive vibes for the new owner, the hill may be up and running next year but 09-10 more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard7763 View Post
    And lastly, what used to be the steepest run under the bridge. Passionately known as "Awful, Awful".

is that because sugarloaf mtn. has been getting so much snow and making it less steep?

good stuff...looks like that place could be fun to play around on

Very, very cool! I used to ski there all the time when I was growing up. Ted Lockwood built a FIS homologated SL run off the back of Awful, Awful, called "Manitou." To meet the vertical drop requirements, they built a start house that was literally 60 feet high, then dug out the bottom of the run with a loader. At the finish line, you had to take off your skis and hike out of the bowl! Fun times.....
    "Shit, I'll choke her while she's cleaning, and I'll do it wearing a helmet cam mounted on a full-face helmet.
    I'll have meatdrink9 do the lighting for the shot. He'll make it artsy as fuck."
    - Phunk

Nice work!

Now this wouldn't be training in preparation for a trip to Utah, would it?

I would be on my way to Utah right now if I hadn't already blown my spring break money on hookers and blow. Ok, I lied. I bought a ticket to Texas for my buddy's wedding, which he asked me to be a groomsman in. That's sorta tough to say no to, ya know?

gpetrics - It was the steepest until Boyne (the MI version of Vail) wanted the record, so they put in Devil's Dive. Of course, it's never open, so the record isn't very valid.

yooper - I spent many icy nights on Manitou in high school. Despite being lower Michigan, that run can be really, really fast.

Sugarloaf! Holy shit! Thats where I skied for the first time. I can remember being like, 6 or 7, and just pointin' it down Awful, Awful too scared to turn.

Sweet. I Haven't been to Sugarloaf since the 80's. How long has it been closed?
    The coefficent of desireability is inversly proportionate to the degree of availability.

Quote Originally Posted by 1wsguy View Post
    Sweet. I Haven't been to Sugarloaf since the 80's. How long has it been closed?
    Since 2000. There was a longterm shit fight (literally) over the sewage operation & unpaid bill under the properties. The resort property passed through several owners, including a loopy Scientologist broad, before being recently bought by a level headed Leelanau County resident. he isn't promising miracles, but he says he's going to make a decent try at getting the hill open in the next couple of years.

Every resident skier in Leelanau and Grand Traverse says they'll buy a pass when the hill opens, and probably half of GR too. If everything comes together, the 'Loaf will have a pretty good shot at coming alive again.

Didn't some dude buy it at some point and then actually just move his family into the lodge? Never opened for business, just lived there.
    I thought I heard that once....
    "Shit, I'll choke her while she's cleaning, and I'll do it wearing a helmet cam mounted on a full-face helmet.
    I'll have meatdrink9 do the lighting for the shot. He'll make it artsy as fuck."
    - Phunk