Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Post your Hometown, Pride or Hatred Thread

Here is a new thread called, post your hometown. If you live in a ski resort, you probably have friends from all over the country. Some people hate where they are from. Others love their roots. As for me, Im from Duluth MN and live in Big Sky MT. Big Sky is home and holds my attention for most of the year, but several times a year (mostly summer) I find my self daydreaming about home, and eventually get in a car and go there. So Post a handfull of photos of what you want people to see. The good, bad, or ugly. Let us know where you are now and a quick statement about your roots.
    "Duluth is a cold ass place on the North shore of Lake Superior, but for a few months a year it is a tropical paradise in the great white north." Here are a few of my favorite photos from NorthernImages.com
    Attachment 38089

Attachment 38090

Attachment 38091

Attachment 38092

Attachment 38093

I had to show a few more lightning shots, and of course, Spirit Mountain, the home hill growing up. One of three ski areas in the city limits
    Attachment 38094

Attachment 38095

Attachment 38096

Attachment 38097

Attachment 38098

I have no pics, but Syracuse is a collection of abandoned warehouses and broken concrete at the intersections of interstates 81 and 90. I do have night skiing 20 minutes away for after work. A lighted x-c trail in my neighborhood. Tons of state land, parks, lakes, Tug Hill, and Adirondacks a short drive away.

With the most bars per capita in Canada, Halifax can be a great place to get loaded constantly. The people are great and it has a small town trapped in a big city vibe. However, its 10 degrees and raining right now, (it rains a lot here) we have yet to have more than 10 cm accumulate. The closest hill, ski martock is overcrowded, filled with fake snow and as tall as most hill's bunny slopes. The closest good skiing is the snow havens in Gaspe Quebec. I will always have a home in Halifax, but as a skiier its pretty shitty.

Grew up in Medfield, MA, 45 minutes outside of Boston. Like the town, dislike most of the people there. Loads of upper middle and lower upper class hummer/suburban driving families focused on getting their kids to be the best at hockey or soccer, and the highschool is basically a breeding ground for business majors or the like, very little choice, etc. Im the outcast being in the Recreation Management field, and doing what i actually reallllly want to do with life.

Now, Up here in Burlington VT, no complaints, this place rules.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

I'll play:

Born and raised in Florence, Al. While Vail, CO is home now and I have been in the west for 8 years, Alabama is still home home and I try to get home once a year or so. Florence is a town of about 55k. The Tennessee River runs through town and is home to some of the best fishing/boating/water recreation in the south. Florence has two Robert Trent Jones golf courses. The University of Norh Alabama is in Florence, they are a Div. 2 school and were the first school at any level to win back to back to back National Championships in football. Helen Keller was born and raised in the next town right over the river. TVA is the big government rig in town, they make hydroelectric power from Wilson Dam.

Nice quiet place to live.

ROLL TIDE ROLL

Grew up in Starksboro, VT. 25 min from MRG, 35 from the bush, 30 min from Burlington, 25 from Middlebury. Population of 1,898 spread out over 45 square miles. All farms and forests, with little else. I love the place and always will.

through my dirty windshield it looks like this:

I was born in Canada but grew up in Salt Lake City. After 10 years away I have been back here for 3 years. I love it.

Arlington, TX, future home of
    and the guys who play football while they're between routines or resting.

also home of

most importantly, now, my family and friends all are soon to live in a ski town. the new monstrosity next door in Fort Worth to be built-

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    Arlington, TX, future home of
    and the guys who play football while they're between routines or resting.[/img]
    It pisses me off to no end that they are taking the Cowboys out of Dallas. D is still home, family there and all. I like most Texans in their home state, but I loathe them when they're on ski vacations. Can't ever see myself going back though...I never fit in there. The west is where I'm happy.
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

I grew up in Spokane

I hate Spokane

If you've ever been, you know why

I found pics but they don't properly show the pure shitholiness involved

White trash capitol of the world

Its where 1980-1990 Oldsmobiles go to die
    Hello darkness my old friend

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Grew up in Medfield, MA, 45 minutes outside of Boston. Like the town, dislike most of the people there. Loads of upper middle and lower upper class hummer/suburban driving families focused on getting their kids to be the best at hockey or soccer, and the highschool is basically a breeding ground for business majors or the like, very little choice, etc. Im the outcast being in the Recreation Management field, and doing what i actually reallllly want to do with life.

Now, Up here in Burlington VT, no complaints, this place rules.

Your home town sounds like my hometown Stamford, CT. Only I'm sure mine is uglier, more banal, and further from decent skiing. Can't wait to GTFO!

"I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

Quote Originally Posted by Roacher View Post
    With the most bars per capita in Canada, Halifax .......
    Its by far the best place to get laid. Spent a great summer there, sailing, rowing, getting laid

andover, ma, a town where half of the population is pompous assholes and the other half is upper-middle class people with a semi-decent head on their shoulders. the town is preppy as fuck, which is annoying as shit. everyone who hears that i'm from andover thinks i went to phillips academy, which is not true for most people actually from andover. i know that many people refer to phillips as "andover," but guess what, it's not fucking andover! (can you tell i don't like phillips that much?)

aside from those gripes, i'd have to say that it's a decent town. while it's not really close to any good skiing, it's a pretty centralized place to make day or overnight trips from.

same town as patrick roy.

gotta love the quebecois femmes

Top of the Food Chain for White Trash America

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    I'll play:

Born and raised in Florence, Al. While Vail, CO is home now and I have been in the west for 8 years, Alabama is still home home and I try to get home once a year or so. Florence is a town of about 55k. The Tennessee River runs through town and is home to some of the best fishing/boating/water recreation in the south. Florence has two Robert Trent Jones golf courses. The University of Norh Alabama is in Florence, they are a Div. 2 school and were the first school at any level to win back to back to back National Championships in football. Helen Keller was born and raised in the next town right over the river. TVA is the big government rig in town, they make hydroelectric power from Wilson Dam.

Nice quiet place to live.

Is that Wheeler behind the Dam?

Hancock, NH. Proud of it, as I'm still taken aback at the beauty of it on a regular basis when I go home to visit the 'rents. Lots of history too, apparently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hancock,_New_Hampshire

Also now 55-60% conservation land, so it shouldn't change too much.

It would be hard to get much closer to my roots - I live across the street from my parents (the house I grew up) in Chipita Park, CO. Its a small town about 20 minutes west of CO Springs in the foothills of Pikes Peak.

Mt. Ester and the local ball field in foreground:

Gazebo and local pond - location of countless pickup hockey games in winter:

View of Pikes from 10 mi. to the North of Chipita Park:

I am from and still live in Anderson, SC. It is the town where Jim Rice is from and also Radio (if any of you saw the movie), and The Bassmaster Classic was here last weekend.

It is not a terrible place to live, I do have skiing two hours away even though it is NC we do have fun. There is good mountain biking within 30 minutes from my house and great mountain biking within an hour and a half in Pisgah and DuPont. There is also great kakyaking here as well. All of my family is here and my parents live next door so I have a built in sitter when I need one. I would like to live in the west as I think I would be happy there but there would be a lot I would be leaving behind. Don't have any pics, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    most importantly, now, my family and friends all are soon to live in a ski town. the new monstrosity next door in Fort Worth to be built-
    What the hell is that thing?!? An attempt to ski outdoors in texas? A new-age garden of eden? what's the deal?
    Skiing, whether you're in Wisconsin or the Alps, is a dumbass hick country sport that takes place in the middle of winter on a mountain at the end of a dirt road.
    -Glen Plake

This map shows where Dillon is, and one of the reasons I hate it so. Le Cense are a bunch of money hungry bastards, who believe in Natural Horsemanship. Which, in their understanding, means horses with medical problems don't get proper care. I went to their barn once, on invite, to work with some of their horses, and most were so damn crippled up they couldn't move. Bastards.

Typical scene on the Beaverhead River.

The mountains on one side

The other "mountains" at the foot of the valley. Don't know who the chick is. Wish I did.

Up in the mountains

Up in the mountains

Mountains on the other side

Birch Creek

It wasn't a bad place to live, as long as you got out of town. The town is one of those seedy old railroad towns, but the mountains are amazing. And of course, there are wayyyy too many small town assholes, that think they are god's gift to creation, since they have the right last name. Oh well. I like to go back camping and exploring in the hills, but I could never stand moving back there.
    backcountry makes my wee wee tingle...
    "What was once a mighty river. Now a ghost." Edward Abbey
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    It's not wyoming...it's Jackson.
    Different rules apply.
    My Adventures

"Feeling good is good enough."

I probably come from one of the most unlikeliest places for a skier. It has changed so much in the last 12-15 years though, I often feel like a stranger when I go back.
    Gallery || Facebook || Instagram
    Go that way, really fast...if something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by skipast75 View Post
    Here is a new thread called, post your hometown. If you live in a ski resort, you probably have friends from all over the country. Some people hate where they are from. Others love their roots. As for me, Im from Duluth MN and live in Big Sky MT. Big Sky is home and holds my attention for most of the year, but several times a year (mostly summer) I find my self daydreaming about home, and eventually get in a car and go there. So Post a handfull of photos of what you want people to see. The good, bad, or ugly. Let us know where you are now and a quick statement about your roots.
    "Duluth is a cold ass place on the North shore of Lake Superior, but for a few months a year it is a tropical paradise in the great white north." Here are a few of my favorite photos from NorthernImages.com
    Attachment 38089

Attachment 38090

Attachment 38091

Attachment 38092

Attachment 38093
    I love Duluth, it's our family's favorite weekend getaway.

My hometown is Mound, MN. I was never a huge fan, or a foe for that matter, until last Friday. A mother of one of my daughter's classmates was killed in a snowmobile accident and I went to the funeral with my wife. The entire town turned out. We're just this little hick town on the lake, but the community is great. If you're out in the yard on a summer afternoon having trouble with a project, someone will be walking by and stop and help. If God forbid, a major event hits your family, the town rushes to your aid. If your kid is into something they shouldn't be, there are other folks in town who step up if you're not around or are just plain clueless.

I wish I could say my home town is surrounded by mountains, beautiful powder covered peaks, but I'm not sure I could leave this place. I go to the store to pick up something, and spend the entire morning talking with my neighbors. They know me, I know them, their kids, how business is, where the fish are biting, etc. Not quite Mayberry, but close enough for comfort.

Jay
    Five minutes into the drive and you're already driving me crazy...

The Redneck Riviera!!!

Great seafood and secluded beaches but too far away from good climbing and skiing to ever live again.
    Last edited by mud; 02-26-2008 at 11:55 AM.

London, Ontario is what I'd consider my hometown. It's great if you're really boring, have lots of money, and love golf. Otherwise it sucks. It does have a community ski-area (100' vertical, huge!) that introduced me to skiing, and some nice looking urban parks, but otherwise the area is flat, fully developed and surrounded by flat farmland for 200km in any direction. Ohh, and it's just as smoggy as Toronto.