Bump on car tire

I hit a fist-sized rock/chunk of dirt on the freeway last weekend, which made a part of the tire bulge out on the sidewall (but much closer to the thread than to the wheel). The bump is ~1" across and sticks out ~1/8-1/4" (don't have a camera handy). The tire pressure seems fine.

Should I be running to get a new tire -- am I cheating death by seriously risking a blow-out every time I get behind the wheel? Or can I live with it for a few months? A friend told me she's done the latter in the past...

These are the stock Suby Potenza tires that everyone bitches about. Yes, I'm going to replace them sometime soon, but wasn't planning on it just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKuba View Post
    Should I be running to get a new tire?
    Yes.

Slowly.

________

You really need to ask if this is dangerous?

Should I be running to get a new tire..... These are the stock Suby Potenza tires that everyone bitches about. Yes, I'm going to replace them sometime soon, but wasn't planning on it just yet.
    If there's substantial wear on them putting one new tire on is going to fuck up your Suby's AWD/Dif
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I realize that this isn't good. Just wondering if I'm risking a blow out or a conventional flat tire that kinda fizzles out.

No substantial wear. That's what sucks -- they have <10K mi on them and I might have to replace all 4... Guess I'm going to hit up the replacement Suby tire thread...

you damaged your inner sidewall. It looks like a bubble right? Iwould replace it pretty soon but you don't have to run down to the tire store right away. I drove with a bubble for a few months when I was a poor college student.

^^^ Thank you. Yes, a bubble. Didn't even notice it the first time I checked but it's there and it hasn't grown in the ~700 mi since (was on a trip when this happened).

Follow-up:

1) How big does the difference in wear need to be to require me to change all 4 (or 2?) of the tires? 1mm, 2mm, etc...? Don't want to get sheisted, as I'm sure the first thing I'll hear walking into a store is that I should get all 4 regardless of the wear.

2) Is there any sort of warranty on these things? I doubt it but asking doesn't hurt. The car (and tires) seriously has <10K miles on it...

Just wondering if I'm risking a blow out or a conventional flat tire that kinda fizzles out.
    Think about it.....

Is a big bulge going to fizzle or go BANG!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

By the same logic, most other air-filled rubber objects, like, say, balloons, go BANG when punctured with a nail, yet a tire just kinda fizzles out. Maybe they do in the southern hemisphere, where people wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people.

(oh, wait... NOT Australian... got it)
    Last edited by BigKuba; 02-21-2008 at 03:28 PM.

Keep the tire.

You will quite possibly have absolutely no problem keeping that tire and driving on it for the next 30,000 miles.

Now we're talking

So I guess moving on to the next question:
    How big does the difference in wear need to be to require me to change all 4 (or 2?) of the tires? 1mm, 2mm, etc...? Don't want to get sheisted, as I'm sure the first thing I'll hear walking into a store is that I should get all 4 regardless of the wear.
    Wasn't planning on 30,000 miles, my question was more like 50 vs 1000
    Last edited by BigKuba; 02-21-2008 at 01:37 PM.

I too tend to think you'll be okay for a while. Keep an eye on it. Have you ever driven through a blowout? There's always the chance it could happen at a really inopportune moment, but on straitish dry pavement I don't believe they're a huge deal.
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

Should I be running to get a new tire -- am I cheating death by seriously risking a blow-out every time I get behind the wheel? Or can I live with it for a few months? A friend told me she's done the latter in the past...
    How is it that the second I read this I knew what answer you were looking for?

Driving around with a damaged sidewall is fucking retarded. You aren't poor. Buy a fucking tire already. Yes, you can replace just one. No, your center diff won't explode. Yes, you should replace all four because those tires suck, but you really should have negotiated that when you bought the car.

Covered by warranty? Do skis tend to get covered by warranty when you jump on rocks?

You obviously made up your mind before you even posted this...why bother?
    You will quite possibly have absolutely no problem keeping that tire and driving on it for the next 30,000 miles.
    Or, it could pull apart all at once going around a turn at 80. But hey, it's totally worth saving a hundred bucks to find out.
    If you're a relatively moral, ethical person, there's no inherent drive to kiss ass and beg for forgiveness and promise to never do it again, which is what mostly goes on in church. -YetiMan

Calm down.

Yes, I knew I should replace it. I know I shouldn't drive it to skiing this weekend and I won't, but I do have to drive to work. My question was whether even that would be fkn retarded.

Knew about the shitty stock tires but didn't have a choice -- bought the car (slightly) used. Care to contribute something positive and recommend a good tire for SoCal driving with weekly trips to Mammoth before I search for the Suby tire thread?

Car's pretty damn new and under the conventional as well as extended warranty, we'll see what they say. I'm familiar with the ski analogy but as you can see in this thread, you never know.

Finally, calm the fuck down.

DUDE
    Well, just take 't easy, man.

WALTER
    I'm perfectly calm, Dude.

DUDE
    Yeah? Wavin' a gun around?!

WALTER
    (smugly)
    Calmer than you are.

edit: I'd dig into that thread. My preferences in tires are very sticky and short lived.
    If you're a relatively moral, ethical person, there's no inherent drive to kiss ass and beg for forgiveness and promise to never do it again, which is what mostly goes on in church. -YetiMan

Bubble in tire

Hey, there is a really simple solution here. I'm assuming your Subi has a full size spare tire?? If so, take the one with the bubble on it and use it as a spare. I would NOT use it any longer than you have to. On a nice straight road a blow-out won't be a problem. But, on a corner, like going up to Alta, it could be really bad. How's your luck generally???

So, use it as the spare and put the spare on the car. If you have a wimp-spare, then you'll have to buy a new tire.

Regarding the size difference between the various tires, the Subi web site should tell you, or the owner's manual. DO NOT trust the tire sales guy. This is something that companies actually test and you should listen to them. On my car I'm only allowed a difference of 3mm in circumference between the tires - all of 'em - it's a 4WD car.
    Life's simple: Ski or Die

Tire's fucked -- junk it ASAP. Sketchy to drive around town. I might, depending on traffic, weather and sense of my own driving ability (I'm prone to taking too many chances with this kind of shit however).

If you are short dough consider hitting the junkyard for a similar tire (should be able to match the brand/model/size on a Potenza). Then replace full set w/better rubber. www.tirerack.com
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Quote Originally Posted by SkiOrDie View Post
    Hey, there is a really simple solution here. I'm assuming your Subi has a full size spare tire??
    Hah. One would think. In this regard it's still a toy car with a donut tire in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiOrDie View Post
    Regarding the size difference between the various tires, the Subi web site should tell you, or the owner's manual. DO NOT trust the tire sales guy.
    Can't find it in the manual but found on an extremely informative Suby site that the circ. difference is 1/4", which corresponds to a radius difference or ~1mm. Now I know that I have that much difference in thread depth between the front and back tires, so I figure that there's at least 1mm gone from its brand new state.

Well, gonna drive to work in traffic tomorrow and then hit up Costco/Tire Rack

I drove with a big egg on mine for 6 months or so. It was so stupid, the Les Schwab monkey told me I was a moron. Get it fixed.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

if you're going to keep driving on it, at least put it on the REAR so when (not if) it fails catastrophically you don't as much control.

Alright, fine, you've all proven that I'm a retard for even asking. Thanks for playing.

I'm going to have to drive to work tomorrow for a meeting but it's going to be in slowass LA traffic, and then getting a new set. Dammit. At least I'll ski pow this weekend...

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    Can I buy your wheels?
    You can buy the three remaining tires...

I'd be less concerned about YOU, and show a little concern for those around you when the tires blows up and you ending hurting/killing someone else. If it happens on "winter roads", you'll be in trouble. I mean fuck...what's $75 for the peace of mind as well as knowing you aren't going to kill someone else...
    Gravity. It's the law.

I had the same thing happen to my wifes forester. Four newer winter tires one w/bulge one day she was driving along and the air let out. Now I have three winter tires for sale.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

If you're talking about re92's, it should be VERY easy to buy a used one on NASIOC.com.....