Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Is it true that they laid everyone off and closed the mag down because of Time-Warner?
    There was talk of a deal between Time-Warner and an unnamed Japanese media conglomerate, which would have saved the magazine. But, it sounds like the deal fell through and Time-Warner decided to lay off the entire city of Boulder instead.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by crashnburn'd View Post
    There was talk of a deal between Time-Warner and an unnamed Japanese media conglomerate, which would have saved the magazine. But, it sounds like the deal fell through and Time-Warner decided to lay off the entire city of Boulder instead.
    I heard Tanner Hall landed on Boulder, switch, in an accident killing thousands.

Hopefully Time-Warner will provide me up to date coverage on that development.

Hugh Conway Guest
    look for coverage in an upcoming fall issue of Skiing apeparing in your mail box in early September - unfortunately all of this seasons issues have been put to print.

Quote Originally Posted by bigairnbumps View Post
    the internet has had a negative impact on print media and advertising revenue.
    I just heard on Public radio that that is not the case. It has had a negative impact on Newspaper distribution and advertising, but sales of niche market magazines, of which this definitely is, have actually increased with the internet, and the people who buy the magazines are likely to also frequent the web site of the niche magazine to get further information thereby actually increaing the ability deliver advertising.

The big problem is that the community of people who are interested in a hard core oriented ski magazine, and who purchase the products targeted at the hard core skier base, is relatively small dollarwise compared to the types that want to have that Telluride Look when they go on vacation and spend gonzo bucks.

Of course it doesn't hurt that like many who have posted, I also was recieving the magazine, and have no idea why, because I didn't pay for it. Sounds like a management problem not a writing problem.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post

Of course it doesn't hurt that like many who have posted, I also was recieving the magazine, and have no idea why, because I didn't pay for it. Sounds like a management problem not a writing problem.
    Free distribution of print products has been a fairly successful business model for some time. NYC has many free papers distributed throughout the city, and the dailies should sell for much more than they do. They're giving it away for free so more eyes see the advertising, which is where they really make the bucks.

Sorry to the people who lost their jobs. Skiing has gotten much better over the last few years.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    are likely to also frequent the web site of the niche magazine to get further information thereby actually increaing the ability deliver advertising.
    have you ever been to the Skiing website? me neither.

I'm ashamed to admit I actually pay for a subscription--but at 10 bucks a year the cost doesn't cover the postage I think. Not too bad a magazine, but the mini reviews of various ski areas seem to seriously exagerate pitch--D8 40 degrees--come on-maybe 25 at the most.

Sorry to the people who lost their jobs. Skiing has gotten much better over the last few years.
    I agree and I attribute that quality bump to the arrival of Jake Bogoch. He worked under Leslie A at SBC Skier, the best ski mag ever. Jake's got skills and you can tell where he applies them in each issue. He'll land on his feet for sure.
    On first

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Skiing really was trying hard--sometimes too hard as they were making a sort of painfully flailing effort to be more 'core.' As Pow11 said, they really should have changed their name to reflect their new (scattered) approach.
    I sat in on a focus group for Skiing a few years ago when they were changing the format from lame to game. The one thing they really struggled with was whether or not to change the name from Skiing to something more rad. I think they would've had a better run if people hadn't associated the new content with the old name. Hopefully they shed the lame stigma because the new content seems to have some pretty sweet photos and articles that don't annoy you. It seems funny to me that readers in the past who looked to Skiing for carving tips on groomers and which moon boots were best to wear at Vail are now getting schooled by Andrew McLean and Reggie Crist on how not to die skiing burly lines in AK. Maybe Skiing should send those folks over to SKI!

Rags like Skiing make their money on advertising, and the advertisers want the mag in the hands of people who are going to buy their products. The only reason to have paid subscriptions is to keep out the rift raft who would get it and not look at it wasting production costs. Since Skiing gives away free subscriptions to most anybody who has an interest in skiing, they are hitting their target market. and therefore keeping their advertisers, and hence their revenue stream, happy.

They money in skiing is to be made in the mass ski market, (think Texas), and not in keeping people like us entertained. Face it dirt bags don't buy new new skis and Bogner outfits every year just to look good. So even though we have been enjoying the rag a little more recently, it may not be having the appeal to the mass market that they desire.

Besides, the rumor I heard was........

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Very unfair that a COMPLETE CRAP mag like "SKI" Stays in business and a decent mag "SKIING" has problems.

++vibes
    "Hold my beer...Watch this!"

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Free distribution of print products has been a fairly successful business model for some time. NYC has many free papers distributed throughout the city, and the dailies should sell for much more than they do. They're giving it away for free so more eyes see the advertising, which is where they really make the bucks.
    the Cost of shipping has doubled (orsomeshitlikethat) in the last several years, adding tons of extra cost 2 shipping. Its not gonna bankrupt most companies, but I could see how those dollars could add up when U talk about tens of thousands of shipped gloss mags

...And put me on record 4 free papers. the SLweekly is the only "paper" I dare read in Utah. ( Don't worry, NYT is top of my yahoo page, TMZ at the bottom )

...I heard they were gonna fire everyone and bring in the Editor from SKI and some of there most talented and fashionable workers

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    the Cost of shipping has doubled (orsomeshitlikethat) in the last several years, adding tons of extra cost 2 shipping. Its not gonna bankrupt most companies, but I could see how those dollars could add up when U talk about tens of thousands of shipped gloss mags

And paper, too. And who is the main shipper? The USPS, of course. What other industry gets hit by a 10-15% increase in shipping almost every year? The mag biz would love for you to download and print, but that ain't happening. So they give it away for free and hope they have a job in ten years.
    Last edited by Benny Profane; 02-20-2008 at 01:04 PM.

That's a damn shame. I liked that mag.
    "She loved snow...That was the simple objective, being airborne, up longer, higher, more casually and with more fuckoff elegance than anyone else...Such endeavours require a kind of egotism, a near autistic narrowness. Everything conspires against you, the habits of physics, the impulse to flee and you're weighted down by every dollop of commonsense ever dished up. Everyone will tell you your goal is impossible, pointless, stupid, wasteful. This idiot resolve is all you have."
    -Tim Winton

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    have you ever been to the Skiing website? me neither.
    I used to go to it, then it turned to SkiNet. I liked the old website it was easy to search and they had a bunch of things I liked. I may be alone, but I also like the workout segment, it is neat to see what people do to stay in shape, and helps keep a workout fresh... Not that I work out anymore. SkiNet sucks it. It's too bad SKIING is closing down because of Time Warner, and all those people died because of Tanner Hall. Maybe he'll tell us about how cutting edge it was at the next Powder Awards.

okbye
    Last edited by RaccoonFace; 02-20-2008 at 01:41 PM.
    TELL YOUR BOOBS TO QUIT STARING AT MY EYES!!!1!

Here, I'll help you out:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    RENO SUPERMOTO

What? tanner hall Killed thousands at the powder awards with his steeze? ...killing the whole skiing pulishing team?

I still can't believe the entire staff of Skiing held hands and jumped off the top of Time Warner headquarters in a mass suicide attempt but they landed on Tanner Hall and his steeze repelled them all and they landed safely.
    I'm Shipping Up To Boston

The multiple free subscriptions problem:
    Do you have a Vail/5 mountains pass? That's one copy.
    Do you have an Intrawest pass? I think that's another copy.
    Did you fill out a card for door prizes at a Warren Miller film? There's a 3rd copy.
    Their subscription numbers got audited last year and it turned out that hardly anyone was actually paying for Ski and Skiing so they had to adjust their ad rates, and I'd bet the new owners weren't happy about the real numbers.

I love how people aren't catching the middle of this thread... good convo on mags in general. I think skiing was getting better, while falling victim to their old ways at times too... see huckasoreass' thread on his little blurb on Squaw (last year?)
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by sftc View Post
    The multiple free subscriptions problem:
    Do you have a Vail/5 mountains pass? That's one copy.
    Do you have an Intrawest pass? I think that's another copy.
    Did you fill out a card for door prizes at a Warren Miller film? There's a 3rd copy.
    Their subscription numbers got audited last year and it turned out that hardly anyone was actually paying for Ski and Skiing so they had to adjust their ad rates, and I'd bet the new owners weren't happy about the real numbers.
    Technically, the 5 mt pass subs are paid for, because you can opt out of getting the magazine and receive $10 refund on the pass cost.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I suppose you could just tell us.
    where's the excitement in that?

bogoch tapped as new ed for skiing w/ <begin desperate pitch> "new photo-driven design and larger paper size for Skiing that will showcase the world’s best ski photography and the culture of the sport. Readers can expect these exciting changes in the next issue, September ’08." <end desperate we-want-to-be-like-Powder pitch>
    On first