Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Ugh, why did I inflict this upon myself! (It was such a casually made decision too . . . actually, I came blame my brother, since he was with me at the time, and just kind of shrugged and said Vista had some nice aspects, though everyone I've talked with since has disparaged Vista to no end.)

Anyway, laptop is still here, since I missed the last DHL pickup today.

I ran the Windows utility on the hard drive, and it didn't seem to find anything, although the screen changed quickly to the Windows login . . . and then froze.
    Just before that, when I was about to type in my password, I happened to tilt the entire computer back and the display got all messed up -- does that mean anything?

Once I did get the computer working again, I started running the Trend Micro scan.
    About halfway through, I got the blue screen of death (for I think the third time, as compared to hundreds of freezes and dozens of no-display incidents).
    As before, I had only a few seconds before the computer restarted, so I couldn't write it down, but the top of the screen said something like:
    "page fault in non-page area"
    Toward the bottom was something like:
    "commencing physical memory dump"
    Various text items in between, though I didn't have time to write down everything (or even read everything).

Oh, and now when it's started back up, I get only a blinking dos-style cursor in the top left.
    Time to try again...

Meanwhile, does it make sense to reinstall the Vista [groan] OS even before I send it back as scheduled (on Monday)?
    And for the Hitachi hard drive, is the Hitachi diagnostic tool available somewhere on my own computer, or the Hitachi website?

I suppose my only consolation in all this is providing entertainment (and further proof) to all the Vista critics! (Helping a friend use my jig to mount up some Dynafits last night was so much more fun -- why can't everything be so simple?)
    Last edited by Jonathan S.; 02-22-2008 at 06:53 PM.

P.S. Just ran memory diagnostic tool -- no errors showed up for that either.

Nr the sea , on the other side of the pond..
    I had a quick search of the dell and microsoft website...

I would try installing the driver mentioned here before sending it back ...

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...3651&SiteID=17

David Wasserman
    These stars recognize your participation in the forums. For more information about the different levels of stars, and how points are earned, please see the FAQ.

Posts 4

Re: Dell D630 Blue screens Only after rebooting vista
    Comment Was this post helpful ? Reply Quote

I found a slightly easier solution: Install the Intel Application Turbo Memory under the SATA Drives category on Dell's site for D630 updates. This fixed it for me!!!

Report Abuse
    27 Nov 2007, 2:38 AM UTC
    tysteraus
    These stars recognize your participation in the forums. For more information about the different levels of stars, and how points are earned, please see the FAQ.

Posts 1

Re: Dell D630 Blue screens Only after rebooting vista (also happens on XPS 1330)

I recently purchased an XPS 1330 with vista home and needed to upgrade to vista ultimate cos I want to use visualisation features etc. However after the upgrade, I continually had the BOSD which was becoming very annoying - was ready to throw in the towel and run xp until I found this post - so THANKS!

btw - I also installed the Intel Turbo Drivers from the supplied DELL DRIVERS CD after the upgrade and it fixed the problems with the SATA driver as well.

Seriously thou i was considering canning vista - seems to be an PIG with lipstick (i.e. revamped user interface with many underlying issues?)

Report Abuse
    21 Feb 2008, 2:52 PM UTC
    Luke Kerr

Posts 1

Re: Dell D630 Blue screens Only after rebooting vista

Thank you so much I hava a D630 with the same problem it has been driving me nuts downloaded the driver from Dell now all is well

you can find the driver info here for the d630

http://support.euro.dell.com/support...WW1&hidlang=en

click on the "Sata drives" section and install all of the drivers under this section...

This is what i would do as the last ditch effort as it sounds like a driver issue rather than a hardware issue ... classic vista fun
    Last edited by wildstyle; 02-22-2008 at 07:33 PM.
    Semper in Pulveris .... Only the depth varies

Okay, I'll give that a try.
    So as I was about to do that, the screen starting going crazy again -- almost like a broken glass effect.
    Only option was to power off, then power on . . . and then no image.
    A few more off-on cycles, held down the Fn key while powering on, finally got an image, went straight into something like "pre-boot test".
    Screen is now entitled:
    Pre-boot System Assessment Build 4103
    Device: Memory
    Test: March B Test
    a bunch of things passed, but:
    ** Memory - March B Test ***
    Testing 7F280000h bytes with 02h CPU(s)
    Test Results : Fail
    Error Code 2000-0123
    ... and screen is now frozen.
    (And successive Off-On cycles fail to get a display signal, and hour is getting late, and I want to wake up absurdly early so I get some precious Massachusetts backcountry untracked powder before it disappears, so I give up for now...)
    Last edited by Jonathan S.; 02-22-2008 at 08:01 PM.

2000-0123 indicates a memory failure.
    You'll probably need a new motherboard and some RAM.

...and a LCD.

If you're going to call support again, ask for an upgrade to a next business day service with onsite tech because of their incompetence with troubleshooting and this taking way to long time. If they refuses, ask for a L2.

Edit: Seems like I somehow deleted my previous post, weird.
    Last edited by Goophy; 02-22-2008 at 08:14 PM.

RE if it is a Hitachi drive, then the utility I talked about is on their web site - it tests for bad sectors and non OS related errors.

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT
    is the link. Burn it to CDR and boot with it - see if the system works long enough to complete. If there are errors then get Dell back on the phone- demand a supervisor and not some script reading level 1 tech and get them to update the case to include the drive error code and most likely a hd replacement to the list.

As for the blue screen - see if you can read the stop message that goes with the message and google the error.

Quote Originally Posted by wildstyle View Post
    ^^^^
    what HE said...

Fixed it for you

Nr the sea , on the other side of the pond..
    Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post

Fixed it for you

sorry ..... got mixed up with the rSHEa...
    Semper in Pulveris .... Only the depth varies

After various freezes and no-display incidents, finally ran the Hitachi test -- everything came out okay.
    Downloaded and installed 3 out of the 5 Dell drivers -- the others simply self-extracted the files to a newly created folder yet didn't do anything. (Maybe b/c they're not relevant?)
    Oddity: at first I tried downloading the drivers using the ailing laptop, but after quickly getting to 99%, it timed out. Downloading the drivers was fine on another computer. Any insights from this?
    I also tried running the pre-boot test again, since after finding that memory error last time the laptop had then frozen. This time it froze even before then. And the display image is now gone.
    Oh well, at least the skiing was good today, and I know where to find some fresh snow tomorrow (albeit on low-angle terrain, but one out of two ain't bad).

At this point, if you can only send in the laptop without the drive, they will have to fix the system. When you get it back, stick the drive in and see if the system will boot and run in Vista. If it can't then you will probably have to go through and do the reinstall of Windows their techs discussed. More time spent but with the other issues- memory and the freezing, files could easily have been corrupted. Run the Vista drive chkdsk once it is returned from repair too.

The 99% and then freezing does not surprise me, as it places the download in a temp area, then combines the packets of data and writes out the file as the final step before getting to 100%.

I hate to say this but, I will anyway --> Buy a MAC

Seriously, I have worked in the computer and technology industry for over 30 years. The ONLY reason I ever use PCs is because I have to when some company I'm working with has "standardized" (meaning they are afraid to make an independent decision) on PCs. Once I leave, I always just buy a Mac again.

All my kids have MACs, all their friends have MACs, go look around in any computer science school you choose - Nothing but MACs.

Get what the folks who actually know how to build computers use. The reason MACs are reliable is that they're running a version of Unix and the hardware is just better debugged.

(I'm not affiliated with Apple in any way - just a customer - most of the time.)
    Life's simple: Ski or Die

Booting off a Live CD might be a pretty quick way to determine if this is a hardware or software problem. Email me if this is way over your head but if you boot the laptop off a Linux Live CD, something like knoppix, and it runs stable for a couple of hours then it's probably a software problem. If the wacky things keep happening then it's a hardware problem.

This would all be quite amusing now were it not that the joke is on me.
    Copied below it the pissy letter I included with the computer when I sent it back to Dell.
    The computer arrived back yesterday with a form letter on which "Reseat LCD cable" was written.
    Within a few hours of use, the computer once again became, well, unusable (see first three bullet points below).

I purchased this laptop in September 2007. Once I turned off the Vista Aero effect (which was consuming resources to a stunning extent, for no apparent practical or productive purposes), the laptop worked fine for a few weeks, but has not been usable since November 2007.

Repeated calls and emails to technical support have not helped at all. Moreover, the Dell staff’s assessments have often clearly been incorrect even to a computer layperson like myself, and staff have often responded with suggestions (e..g., obsessions with perceived “slowness” that was never my concern) that made clear that didn’t even understand the nature of the chief complaints.

The actual problems include:

● Frequent freezes (numbering in the hundreds), sometimes not until after hours of use, but sometimes after only minutes, and sometimes even at the Windows login screen, or before that, or at the Windows Error Recovery screen.

● Many incidents (numbering in the dozens) of no display (either to the laptop’s LCD or an external CRT), for which the Fn+F8 toggle has no effect.

● A few incidents during which the laptop’s LCD display became jagged, almost like a shattered plane of glass.

● About three blue screens, after which the computer restarted within several seconds, so I couldn't write it down, but the top of the screen said something like, “page fault in non-page area” and toward the bottom was something like, “commencing physical memory dump” with various text items in between (which I didn’t have time to read).

● A recent pre-boot assessment turned up “Memory - March B Test *** Testing 7F280000h bytes with 02h CPU(s) – Test Results : Fail – Error Code 2000-0123” but the computer then froze, as it did during a subsequent pre-boot test, and with the frequent freezes and display shut-offs I don’t have time to keep trying to complete the entire assessment

● A recent (or at least recently noticed) inability to download files, with the operation timing out at 99%.

As instructed, I have removed the battery and included the power supply. I have not, however, removed the hard drive. Why? First, I have done enough work on this already, and don’t want to spend even a few more seconds figuring out how to remove the hard drive. Second, I don’t have any valuable information on the hard drive, since the computer has been entirely without value since November 2007, and except for some files recently copied over in the foolhardy hope that the laptop might be become usable again, I haven’t been using it for anything of value. Third, I think you should install XP on this laptop (at your cost, not mine), since Vista is notorious for causing problems on Dell laptops. (You must know this, so please, even though I was ignorant enough to choose Vista at the time of purchase, don’t insult my intelligence by denying the widespread problems you’re experiencing with Vista on these laptops). Fourth, and most important, I want you to ensure that this computer is returned to me in perfect working order, and this seems impossible without including the hard drive.

Yes, that’s right, I don’t want some department to fix any hardware issues and then expect me to fix any software problems. You sold me a product that quite simply does not work, and I expect you to fix it, not me. When I make a mistake in the work I perform for my clients, I fix it, not them. I have had enough of doing your work for you. Now it is time for you to finally fix this computer for me.

I bought a laptop from Dell without doing any prior research on competitors. I thought that I could rely on Dell to provide me with a laptop that in turn I would rely on for my work. Instead, I have been treated to a several-month nightmare that has wrecked my productively. Spending about $1,600 on a product that doesn’t work is bad enough. But the waste of time and effort has been far worse. I have never been so disappointed in a company as I am with Dell.

From my viewpoint, this is your last chance to rectify the situation. If you are not willing to return this laptop to me in perfect working order (after *days* of testing to ensure it really is working), then please provide me with instructions on how I can uninstall all of the software (to be installed on some competitor’s laptop) and suggestions for proper disposal (other than the battery, docking station, and CD/DVD drive, which presumably can be resold).

that sucks. I'd say your options are to get on the phone and work your way up management or sell the laptop as is on ebay.

If you want I could swing by and pick it up for a couple of days. I have a few tests I could run which should help determine whether it's a software or hardware issue. I still think it's hardware but it would be nice to know for sure. PM me if you'd like me to do that.

It is probably a video card..If the video card comes on the motherboard,, now you got some issues..I would try Video card before I reinstall anything....If nothing else get you a new comp, and use the old comp as a slave, and pull the files you need over to the new one..

Quote Originally Posted by LeeC View Post
    It is probably a video card..If the video card comes on the motherboard,, now you got some issues..I would try Video card before I reinstall anything....If nothing else get you a new comp, and use the old comp as a slave, and pull the files you need over to the new one..
    Or it could be just a bad memory chip. If this Dell has on board memory (I did not look up the specs on this model though) and it is using the system memory shared to drive the video instead of a descrete video card with dedicated memory. The memory diagnostics reporting the bad memory could be enough to say that all the screen issues relate to the memory or the main system board..... How do you try a video card on a laptop- most are right on the system board, not all but a majority and he would have to go get a new one to try. If I was him I'd send a few emails requesting immediate managers intervention (and CC Mike Dell himself)..... Or like someone else stated sell it on Ebay at a loss and get something else if Dell continues the games...

Also see if there are any Lemon laws in your state to get a replacement under the terms of the consumer protection laws in your state.

OP - Jonathon if you need Mike Dell's email address I can get it at work for you.

DFinn, if Dell doesn't offer to take the laptop back for another look (not that their first one accomplished anything), then sure, thanks, you could drop off some skis for me to tune, and take the laptop for an inspection in return.

RShea, yes, any secret email addresses or other management-contact tips would be appreciated, as I have yet to succeed in getting beyond the front-line staffers (who seems sufficiently pleasant and eager to help, but unfortunately are incapable of anything even remotely effective).

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Dell sucks
    Vista sucks
    Dell + Vista = the perfect combo for masochists
    He's got it down

Some notebooks have a separate video card that you can check..Personally if it is integrated video card..I would junk it, and get new..You can get a decent comp from bestbuy 450-500.00

Dell sent a technician over here yesterday -- replaced the motherboard. Said that the nearby college sold lots of D630 laptops to its students, and he's replaced quite a few motherboards on those too.
    So far so good -- been using it for several hours and no problems.
    Sure hope this does the trick!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    Dell sent a technician over here yesterday -- replaced the motherboard. Said that the nearby college sold lots of D630 laptops to its students, and he's replaced quite a few motherboards on those too.
    Very nice. What did it take to finally get them to actually fix it? An email to Dell himself?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    Best of luck, Dell has had a few dogs that had major problems in design or would fail. Too bad it took the Dell phone people so long to believe what we had been saying all along- it is a hardware problem that needs parts replaced. Should send Mike Dell a link to this discussion.

Not exactly sure what was the final straw, but here's the email I sent to them -- maybe the final sentence?
    Copied below is the letter I included when I shipped my laptop back to
    you in February.
    I received the computer back from you on Monday.
    A form letter was enclosed, which simply noted "reseat LCD cable" and
    nothing else.
    I used it for a few hours today.
    Just now the screen became all jagged, almost like a shattered plane of
    glass, and then the computer froze, becoming unresponsive.
    After turning off the computer, then turning it back on, no image
    appeared on the screen.
    After yet again turning off the computer, then turning it back on, an
    image appeared.
    And now, in the process of writing this email (on a different computer
    of course), the screen has once again become all jagged, almost like a
    shattered plane of glass, and then the computer froze, becoming
    unresponsive.
    Please call me Wednesday at 413-256-1101 to let me know if (and if so,
    how) you intend to fix my computer, or if instead I should simply go
    about uninstalling all the software to install on a competitor's
    product, and how I can safely then dispose of this laptop.

Oops, froze again last night -- I'll count that as the first strike, then two more strikes and it's back to, umm...hmm, what exactly?

Up to four strikes so far:

1. Freeze.

2. Computer without any warning is suddenly rebooting.

3. Ditto.

4. Freeze upon windows recovery screen (i.e., dos-like text).

Worth trying the system restore CD?
    Any other things worth trying with this laptop?