08 Volkl Mantra owners please read

Hey all,
    My question is this:

Where is the "X" on the top sheet in relation to the "I" in the sidewall on your pair? Especially interested in someone has the X closer to the tail than the I. That would really scare me.

So I am taking a totally non-scientific sample here. Where is the "X" in relation to the "I" on your Mantras? Will this help me answer anything definitively? Nope!
    Last edited by Smails; 03-23-2008 at 10:16 PM.
    "You don't want to run into me on the tram dock. I went to jail. I have an inclinometer, and a friend of a friend who's a lawyer. Why do you have to be such a hater? I was just trying to post some stoke." The Suit

"I demoed the Davenport 2 weeks ago, I really liked them a lot... the blue sidewalls and tip really looked great with my pants. I also tried the '11 MX98, they didn't look as good with my outfit. If you have blue pants or maybe some Lange race boots I recommend you check them out."

07/08 Auras 163 for my gal X is 1.6 cm tip side of the I.

I mounted I Friday, she skied them yesterday and loved them, seemed happy with the mount.

This is seriously one of the most fucked up things ever though. Talk about confusing.

Can't really provide any helpful information to you, but just want to say that this is one of the biggest reasons I eliminated the Mantra from consideration for my next ski. Life is too short and there are too many other worthy skis on the market to spend so much time worrying about whether to mount Mantras on the "X" or on the "I".

you are over thinking this one.

the sidewall mark is the right one. topsheet graphics can be off because the topsheet might not be perfectly lined up. this is totally normal.

I've mounted many pairs of mantras this year and mounted all of em on the "I" as that was what I was told was the real mark.

Quote Originally Posted by H-wood View Post
    you are over thinking this one.

the sidewall mark is the right one. topsheet graphics can be off because the topsheet might not be perfectly lined up. this is totally normal.
    I might be over thinking it, but I want to get it right. It is frustrating finding the mounting point that was right for me on my old pair and then not being able to recreate it because it was based on inconsistent top sheet graphics.

Just trying to figure out if there is some level of consistency between the topsheets markings.
    "You don't want to run into me on the tram dock. I went to jail. I have an inclinometer, and a friend of a friend who's a lawyer. Why do you have to be such a hater? I was just trying to post some stoke." The Suit

"I demoed the Davenport 2 weeks ago, I really liked them a lot... the blue sidewalls and tip really looked great with my pants. I also tried the '11 MX98, they didn't look as good with my outfit. If you have blue pants or maybe some Lange race boots I recommend you check them out."

No consistency- it's really hard to get the topsheets lined up perfectly when they put the skis together before pressing, so every ski will be a little different. A lot of people think they have a mismount when they see that the mount doesn't line up with the topsheet, when it's actually the tech taking the time to do it right.

If you really want to get it dialed, demo some mantras and move the binders around until you find the sweet spot. costs $, but so does remounting.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    This is seriously one of the most fucked up things ever though. Talk about confusing.
    the new Lib Tech skis have a dent on them and script that says "Mount boot center on the dent" and then about roughly a cm back toward the tail is another script that says "Or don't."

now that's confusing!

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Ok, I am not trying to start a big argument about this topic in general. I will amend my early post.

FYI, I have demoed them, I have mounted and re-mounted, etc. That is why it is so damn frustrating to start from scratch

Smails, I see that you posted on the prior thread on this issue at http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=103155

On my 07-08 184 Mantras, my "X" on the topsheet is 18mm forward of the "I" on the sidewall. My buddy's 184's (serial number within a few hundred of mine) are the same. Both of us mounted at BF on CRS with great results. BF on CRS put my boot (MP 30.5 Spirit 3) midpoint at 12mm behind "I" and my buddy's (MP 29.0 Spirit 3) boot midpoint at 8mm behind "I." Conclusion: BF on CRS works for 07-08 184 Mantras.

Thanks for the Beta Big Steve. I tried BF on CRS and noticed that it was behind the "I" for me as well. I just think I am in a unique position being an east coast and liking mine turny. I mounted what was 1.5 behind the X on mine (which I think was on the "I") and they weren't versatile enough for all around east coast action.

But since I used the X I am just trying to figure out if most peoples X's are forward of the "I" so I am glad to hear two more people with the X forward of the "I".