the most beautiful place in the whole wide world

Solomon Z12 demo bindings?

Total binder jong here. Searched with no luck. Any thoughts on the Z12 demo bindings? Solid? How are demo bindings in general, for a lightweight enthusiastic skier who usually runs bindings at ~9 DIN (not hucking 30 footers all day, not straightlining death cookie fields all day). If you were me, and were to buy a pair of used skis which had demo binders, would you immediately rip em off and put a normal pair on, or would they be fine for you (er, me). Is the only penalty added weight? Inquiring minds want to know. thanks.

I had demo 912tis on a pair of skis before and did not like them. They prereleased constantly. They felt really sloppy. The plasitc demo track started to crack where the screws hold them to the ski. I will admit that my boot toes were pretty worn down and that probably had something to do with the prereleasing and slop, but it still left a bad taste in my mouth. I'll never buy a ski demo bindings a gain if I can help it.

I've got 900S 12 Din binders on a pair of 8800's.
    I run an 8-9 din.
    Similar skier type as you.
    Have not had problems.
    Used the same binders on a pair of soft bros.
    I'm 160 lbs for reference.
    Last edited by whorehey; 01-23-2008 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Added weight

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    thanks for the input.

Whorehey- I'm assuming yours were demo binders?

I left out that key detail.
    That's right, they are demo bindings.
    If they are synchro centers, you can play with mount position as well.

I have some demo Z12s that came with my Prophets, and although I was tempted to take them off immediately, they have really performed very well. No problems with pre-release, durability, or any other such issues. Just as a note, mine had absolutely zero signs of use when I got them, so I guess it could depend on if they were beat up their previous demo life or not. My only complaint is that they look a bit taller than I would prefer (the demo plate basically acts like a lifter), but it hasn't affected performance as far as I can tell.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
    -Mario Andretti

I bought some Tyrolia bindings (see link) that I really like for my Bluehouse Districts. Mounted on the boot center you can move them forward or back 1.5 cm? I move them up for groomers, back for powder. Not a lot of time on them, but like yourself, I don't do anything crazy enough for a pre release to happen when set at a 9 DIN. Look them over:
    http://www.levelninesports.com/tyrol...gs-p-2401.html
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

gotta bump this... I feel like an idiot!

I've got a pair of these Salomon z12 Demos that I just put on a pair of Lords so I can lend them out to visiting family, friends, etc.

Since no one is visiting just yet I figured I'd adjust them to my boots and ski 'em a few days. So I moved the heel and toe pieces to my BSL according to the handy little color-coded charts on the sides of them, and my boot fits in and appears to click down nicely...

BUT I CAN"T FIND THE FRIGGIN FORWARD PRESSURE ON THE DAMN THINGS!?!?!?!?

Can't seem to figure out how to adjust or even check the forward pressure on them! The only prominent screw on the back of the heel is the DIN, and there's nothing else there that I can figure out.

Do these things not have a forward pressure adjustment because they're demos, or am I just extra dumb this week?

There should be a tab on the back that, if the forward pressure is set correctly, will fall in between two tabs on the back (if looking at the binding from the side).

Search for a salomon tech manual
    http://www.salomoncertification.com/download.jsp

Atomic Demo Binders

I know its apples and oranges, but I had some Atomic Demo Bindings earlier this winter and it was the same story. A rental shop lurker told me they didn't have forward pressure settings due to being demo bindings. Didn't have any problems with them, but I was always just a little bit paranoid.

Quote Originally Posted by hoarhey View Post
    There should be a tab on the back that, if the forward pressure is set correctly, will fall in between two tabs on the back (if looking at the binding from the side).

Search for a salomon tech manual
    http://www.salomoncertification.com/download.jsp

Page 17 of the shop practice manual that can be found on the link above says: Adjustment is correct: "when the silver indicator tab is within the visible range of the housing window on Atomic +/++ and Salomon Synchro models (Fig. G)

Confusing, because it doesn't mention the Z12, but the Z12 has the same housing window and indicator tab. The only way to adjust forward pressure is by lifting the loop and moving the whole heel piece until it contacts the boot heel. Every time I've done this, the tab has been visible in the window. Seems crude, but it works.