Krypton Pro ID - 1st Impressions...

So I had my first few hours on my brand spankin new Krypton Pro ID's this morning and thought I would share my first impressions, and get some feedback on how other maggs felt after they tried 'em out. Pretty much straight outta the box with no mods: firm footboard, stiff tongue, no change to forward lean or stiffeners. FWIW I've been Lange FR120's (black & orange from like 3-4 seasons ago) so all comments are relative to that boot.

First, the liners are definitely firm. Felt like I had a little slop right around the ankle. Anyone else have this? It's not a show-stopper but seems like with the higher density, firm liner it doesn't completely fill in all the gaps around the contours of my ankle (at least not yet). In addition, depending on how hard you crank the buckles down, it feels like there is a very fine line between too sloppy/loose, just right, and over-cranked/too tight. I had to make minor adjustments as the day progressed. The other thing that felt different was the forward lean - boot is noticably more upright than my Freerides - which obviously changes your whole weighting. Initially felt like I wasn't over the tips enough. I will probably try increasing the forward lean a bit with a different shim before I go out next time. Either that or possibly swap for the softer tongue, but probably not both as that would totally screw me up.

These are more just observations, not necessarily good or bad yet. I expect to have to tinker with these a little more and probably just beat on 'em for a while before they get dialed for my foot, but just wondering what others first impressions were...

did you try on the il moro's? Id tried them on the other day and liked how they fit. Which is why im looking at the pro ID's.
    Live

My pro's have been sweet thus far. Much much better than my old sollies. I have been rockin the firm beds, stiff tongues and added a little fwd lean with the little green clip that goes in the back on the outside.

I have had tons of leg problems and these have been nothin but money so far. Very snug fit and no shin pain for a change.

Spend the 20 bucks and add boosters too.

Vailcat,
    That's right, as I recall one of your last threads sounded exactly like me talking ... same lower leg problems for sure, and it's makin' me crazy! Shin bang problems with my ol' solly 9"s limiting me to skiing hard about one time in 8-10 days, just nuts.
    And the Krypton's are working great for you?
    Can you maybe compare if you would, in your opinion what difference the Krypton's has had as compared to the Solly's. Because your "leg deal" sounded exactly like my problem, and over the past couple years too, I am desperate for a fix.

My problem with my prior boots was were the bottom top buckle was located would put all the pressure directly on my shin. I could go ski groomers for a while with real aggressive forward pressure and I would have the worst pain right on my shin bone in an area about .5" wide by about .75" tall on both legs. Taking me out for at least 5 days.

I have very skinny ankles(can fit my hand around the ankle) and after getting surefoot liners in my sollies I thought I'd have a tighter fit and reduced pain.$$$$$ later I had no results. Still pain, no gain complete frustration. Fast forward 1.5 years. I walked in a shop outside of home mtn looking for other opinions and the guy was like,"dude your problems are over, I'm getting you some dalbellos."

As soon as I stepped in them I knew I was saved. Even with sore legs I could have gone out and ripped them. I think besides the 3 piece design one other big factor is the fact that the hinge is much lower and closer to being directly over the ankle thereby giving a truer flex with the ankle joint instead of using your shin as a fulcrum to the boots lever.

Much truer flex, 3 piece design, gold intuitions=$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I have charged hard on these babies for a while now and I have some soreness but it is not even in the ballpark as to where it was. It no longer affects my skiing like before so really the little bit of soreness that i have had is a non-issue. I only wish i would have made the switch sooner. Ooh the fun I have missed out on. THese to me have been like going from skinny old school skis on a pow day to hard charging lotus 120's. The difference has been unreal and I suggest if you have the same problems do the same and all the ole fun you had when pain free will come back.

Take out a ARM loan or whatever it takes so you can afford them. They are worth it.

PM me if you want more.

Quote Originally Posted by skiingsamurai View Post
    did you try on the il moro's? Id tried them on the other day and liked how they fit. Which is why im looking at the pro ID's.
    I did not try to Il Moro. it's aimed at "park and pipe", where I avoid like the plague (not that there's anything wrong with that). my local shop doesn't even carry 'em.

What kind of fit in the instep/forefoot are you getting with these? I have the exact same shin problems you describe with my Nordica Beast despite numerous mods. Intuition Powerwraps helped with fit everywhere else, and a taller front spoiler to even out shin pressure helped as well, but I still get horrendous shin bang about 2 inches above the ankle joint in an area like you describe. I think a boot that flexed like the krypton lower down would benefit a lot, but I have a D width forefoot and a higher volume instep in spite of my skinny heels and lower ankle area. I'm not sure if the instep volume would work for me. I realize the forefoot width could be easily punched if need be.

i had lange comp 120's and had constant shin pain for two seasons, this year two days into the season my shins were already quite sore. so i got fed up and decided to try something new and got some kryptons. well, i've probably skiied 40 days since then and i haven't had shin pain once. i don't know if its because of the softer flex, the fact that its a three piece boot, or because i sized down but it works like a charm.

I too had langes and had the same problem once. Got into the sollies to help and it was a waste of time.

As far as your foot size I'm not sure if they would work but my advice is to go try on a pair and see if they can work. If they fit you will be the happiest mag on the planet

I think the reason they took care of my shin problems is the flex point is lower. IF you line up my old sollies with teh pro's the flexpoint is about 1.5" lower on the pro. Its basic mechanics. The boot flexes with the ankle instead of the shin where there is no joint for flexing. IMVHO.

Quote Originally Posted by sierraskier View Post
    I did not try to Il Moro. it's aimed at "park and pipe", where I avoid like the plague (not that there's anything wrong with that). my local shop doesn't even carry 'em.
    Just because it's marketed to one $$$-loaded demographic doesn't mean that it'll be no good for you...

Quote Originally Posted by anthill View Post
    Just because it's marketed to one $$$-loaded demographic doesn't mean that it'll be no good for you...
    understood. about 95% of the people I talked to about the Dalbello's said go for the Pro's, based on coming from a FR120 (flex index) and the adjustability they give you...