self leveling mortar over cement board?

About 3 years ago I got in way over my head and did a demo/remodel of my master Bathroom, part of my second bath and the closet in my master bedroom. In addition to being in way over my head, I ran out of $$ and it has been sitting idle for a long time. Anyway, I finally am trying to get this rolling again and have a question about the floor. Part of the new master bath floor runs next to old second bath floor and even with the subfloor in, it is still not level with the existing tile floor next to it next to it. I want to tile over everything so what I was thinking of doing was putting down some concrete board on the subfloor to get it close to the height of the tile next to it and then poor a self leveler over the whole thing. Is this OK? Do I need to worry about expansion joints etc. Anything else I need to do? Will this even work? Start jonging in 3.2.1...
    "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will..."

I've tried the cement board and much prefer the Wonderboard stuff to the actual concrete based stuff. I'd try to get as close as possible on the height. I'd probably use whatever material allowed the closest matching height. The self leveling stuff has a maximum thickness and as I recall it's something less than an 1/8". If you taper the height over a distance it's not nearly as noticable. Same technique you use in drywall.
    Driving to Targhee

Quote Originally Posted by cooltsi View Post
    I've tried the cement board and much prefer the Wonderboard stuff to the actual concrete based stuff. I'd try to get as close as possible on the height. I'd probably use whatever material allowed the closest matching height. The self leveling stuff has a maximum thickness and as I recall it's something less than an 1/8". If you taper the height over a distance it's not nearly as noticable. Same technique you use in drywall.
    Thanks!

Ya, I like the wonder board stuff for sure, was just refereing to it genericly.
    As for the height, I think I have it down to just under an 1/8th so it sounds like I should be good. I have some holes to plug first and some other stuff so probably wont get to it this weekend but I will report back.
    "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will..."

With liquid level (stuff that they sell at Home Depot) you can go up to 1/8" per pour (48hrs between) with a max of 1/4". Leveled my bathroom floor that was 1/4" off with 2 pours (100 lbs per pour) and it worked great. Poured it right on the cement backer board. After it dried, I laid down the tile.
    Last edited by ColMan; 01-22-2008 at 03:17 PM.

I was thinking about this last night but you could always just use mortar etc. I had to build a custom shower pan this past summer in our bathroom and I built up the floor of the shower over 2" and sloped to the center for drainage of course. Once you put a layer of cement or cement/fiber board it's not going to move anyways.
    Driving to Targhee

Unless you are good with mud, trying to float it by hand is a lot harder than a couple of pours of self-leveling compound.

kona, johnbridge.com is the best resource for all things tile. Go there and check the Deflecto program to make sure you floor is structurally sound enough for whatever material you plan to use.