Page 97 of 471 FirstFirst ... 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,425 of 11762
    Heard at Kicking Horse last Sunde in the gondy (35cm fresh) from some gaper from Calgary. Man there's so much snow out there I just try and stay in the tracks that have already been made. It's way better that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowvols View Post
    While riding the chair lift today up at Brighton, Guys on the lift were talking about where they were going next run. They said they were going out of the gate into Hidden Canyon so I asked them if they had gear. Which the one guy told me "I don't believe in that stupid stuff" Avi conditions are Considerable today too.
    I'm just curious. Why did you ask them if they have gear? Did they speak directly to you? Or were you baiting them? Could be they were having an A+B conversation and were telling you to C your way out.

Just sayin'...

From an article in the Summit Daily today:
    “That's it, I just can't ski anymore. I don't feel safe because it's too slippery.”
    The article was about putting skins on the front 1/3rd of XC skis so they won't glide, thereby making the sport easier? Just when you thought XCers couldn't get more gaped out.
    Last edited by Lelandjt; 12-19-2010 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    From an article in the Summit Daily today:
    “That's it, I just can't ski anymore. I don't feel safe because it's too slippery.”
    The article was about putting skins on the front 1/3rd of XC skis so they won't glide, thereby making the sport easier? Just when you thought XCers could get more gaped out.
    Ruth came through the door of the Breckenridge Nordic Center in tears. “That's it, I just can't ski anymore. I don't feel safe because it's too slippery.” Ruth, a 79-year-old grandmother of 12 from Cedar Rapids had been skiing with us for over three decades.
    really dude?

Nordic skiing with tip-skins
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

So? She's been doing it for 30 years. She doesn't think skiing should be slippery. GAPER.

Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    So? She's been doing it for 30 years. She doesn't think skiing should be slippery. GAPER.
    From the article:

We strongly recommend using tip-skins... especially if conditions are fast and less forgiving... They provide 30 percent more grip and less glide, providing more control.
    Two complete knee replacements did not stop her from enjoying her outings in the mountains.
    ...Here she is, ready to stop Nordic skiing at 79 because she felt “out of control.” Trail conditions vary, even with the best grooming equipment available — especially in the spring when the temperature can fluctuate 50 degrees or more and you get freezing and thawing, and hence ice. Scott Yule, local endurance sports hero and Mark Thompson, had the answer for saving skiing for Ruth.
    She was astounded at the improved control she experienced, and it gave her a new of level of confidence. “You saved my sport for me, now I can ski my favorite trails and I never have to take my skis off.”
    You're a giant asshat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
    I'm just curious. Why did you ask them if they have gear? Did they speak directly to you? Or were you baiting them? Could be they were having an A+B conversation and were telling you to C your way out.

Just sayin'...
    We were talking about were was good and and they said they were going to go out the gate into Hidden Canyon. I then asked them if they had gear and said no that he doesn't believe in it. He said conditions were low and I thought I would inform him it was considerable. Shouldn't you look out for other people or try to?

canyon lodge: mammath 12-11-10.
    beautiful spring conditions. just prior to the storm of the decade

happy fat girl following her bf to the lift.

fg: ' i cant believe im skiing in jeans'
    bf: ' you are a totall gaper'

Coming out of warp because of a number of slower skiers at the top of a small headwall I over hear a guy in 1970's gear say to his friend. "Where's the ?" Buddy says,"Your on it!"
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

While riding the chair lift today up at Brighton, Guys on the lift were talking about where they were going next run. They said they were going out of the gate into Hidden Canyon so I asked them if they had gear. Which the one guy told me "I don't believe in that stupid stuff" Avi conditions are Considerable today too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet View Post

Just sayin'...
    We were talking about were was good and and they said they were going to go out the gate into Hidden Canyon. I then asked them if they had gear and said no that he doesn't believe in it. He said conditions were low and I thought I would inform him it was considerable. Shouldn't you look out for other people or try to?
    A few years back at Kicking Horse, a few tourons from Calgary decided that Darwin's Chutes looked like a good place to ski. They were told that it was a permanently closed area and that they shouldn't go in there.

They rented avy gear, got some instruction on how to use it, and were advised on a map of the few areas to avoid.

The then proceeded up the bootpack, out of bounds and in towards Darwin's Chutes. Two of them died that day.

I'm glad you spoke up Snowvols.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

When I ask people why they wear a helmet, a common response is ...
    "I feel more confident!"
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

79 year olds skiing, no matter what the circumstances, discipline or amount of complaining is fucking a awesome in my book

Quote Originally Posted by Shadam View Post
    "I feel more confident!"
    About not getting a TBI when tagged by an out of control 14-year-old, yes.

Today at Loveland, I'm on the lift with this couple from Bulgaria or somewhere. 9" new on the ground. I inquire as to their stoke level and the lady informs me she wishes more shit was groomed - all this snow is just too hard to ski in.

:-/

At Vail, going out one of the Blue Sky gates can drop you into a river valley that you hike out of. There's a few other ways to get down into that valley by ducking ropes from another area. I'm headed up the bootpack out of the river valley towards the lift. I see a guy drop down onto the bootpack farther up the valley from above (obviously ducked a rope when he saw dope tracks). He proceeds to start skiing towards me DOWN the bootpack (and valley). I yell up to him, trying to figure out WTF is he thinking?

Me: "Where are you going?"
    Gaper: "Back to the lift"
    Me: "Dude... it's a bootpack. The lift is back the other way. Bootpacks don't go downhill."

He didn't believe me, and started skiing towards me again. I had to yell up to him one more time before the dumbass believed me. He would have had a long walk back once the bootpack ended in ski tracks from up the valley!

"I feel more confident!"
    And... ?

Not doing so good in the gaper thread are you Shadam LMAO

"I feel more confident!"
    I feel more confident I'm not going to pull a Bono and leave my brains splattered in the snow for patrol to clean up, or more confident it won't be my bare head that smashes into the exposed rock in the palisades if I catch a death cookie and do a superman-->tomohawk.

I can definitely say I ski more confidently, in gnar terrain, when wearing a helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnygolucky View Post
    Up at Baker Friday. Bluebird day and deep blower. We're going to do The Arm. Some cat asks me "so what ya been hittin today?" I point up at Shuksan Arm. He then asks "how do you get up there?" I said "hike and skin". And then he says, "what'ya do when you get all the way up there?". For which I reply, "ski down". He nods his gourd but doesn't really get it.
    holy shit!!! hahahahahaha

fucking amazing

Awesome day at Silverton, lots of fresh terrain and a forecast of endless dumpage on the way. That evening, back at where I'm staying I ask someone "How was your day?"

"To be honest, I'm form Utah, and we have a 113 inch based and I got core-shots all day.

Well, we're supposed to get 3 or more feet in the next 24 hours.

It'll take more then 3 feet to fill in the shit I was skiing."

I guess there is a difference between being spoiled and being a gaper, but still!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    Awesome day at Silverton, lots of fresh terrain and a forecast of endless dumpage on the way. That evening, back at where I'm staying I ask someone "How was your day?"

"To be honest, I'm form Utah, and we have a 113 inch based and I got core-shots all day.

Well, we're supposed to get 3 or more feet in the next 24 hours.

It'll take more then 3 feet to fill in the shit I was skiing."

I guess there is a difference between being spoiled and being a gaper, but still!
    Total gape... any true skier knows "any day at the mountain is a good day"
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Total gape... any true skier knows "any day at the mountain is a good day"
    Quoted for troof.

H?

...so I asked them if they had Gear.
    Which the one guy told me "I don't believe in that stupid stuff"...
    Perhaps they thought you were offering them Heroin...

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Guy on chairlift with 195cm Dynamic VR27 (69-65-66) looking at my skis: "Holy shit, are you expecting powder?"

Me on Volkl Mantra's: "Yes"

ok. I've been on lifts before where some random dude interjects into a conversation not meant for him. Your situation is different. It's why I asked.

As for watching out for others? I don't know. Skiing culture as devolved into a haters game for the most part. Everyone out to prove themselves more 'core than the other - locals vs tourists, park vs everyone, backcountry vs resort. This thread - where Gapers post stuff gapers say.

I try to be a nice, polite person if you meet IRL. I find a chair ride with a "local" is the most unfriendly place on earth.

It's hard to tell if someone is being sincere or is just trying to show they know more or are better in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by biscuit72 View Post
    SPORE - Stupid People On Rental Equipment
    Cute acronym... but if everyone was as gnar a ripper as you, I would be out of a job, there would be no inbounds powder after 10am, and you would be the bottom of the barrel instead of almost the bottom.

SPORES are what keep the sport going.