Page 100 of 471 FirstFirst ... 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 ... LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,500 of 11760
    "There's such a fine line between stupid and clever."
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I asked someone today at Campgaw if their K2 Pontoons were 2 snowboards. He didn't find it so amusing.

Was kind of hilarious he was on Pontoons, period.
    Isocrates: “Democracy destroys itself because it abuses its right to freedom and equality. Because it teaches its citizens to consider audacity as a right, lawlessness as a freedom, abrasive speech as equality, and anarchy as progress.”

Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
    I saw something today that underscores the fine line between idoiocy and brilliance.

I'd like to meet the driver for a quick interview to determine which it is, although I strongly suspect it's the 1st option. I suppose it is possible that the guy actually thought about this and decided not to drop a couple hundred $ on crossbars.....

As seen in a parking garage at Okemo today:

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot?!?!
    this is far, far too common in PA.

yesterday, there was a dogsled company at the mountain giving rides to people up one of the mellower trails. being the animal lover that she is, my girlfriend wanted to stop and watch all the cute huskies for a few minutes. while we were watching the dogs, a one-piece euro dude comes over to us and very matter-of-factly asks if that's the chairlift that little kids use to get up the hill. i was rendered speechless.

Quote Originally Posted by caderader View Post
    not this weekend but...walking home from a halloween party, I'd been dressed as a skier; I'm still carrying my poles and have skis strapped to my backpack.

Random guy- "You a snowboarder?"
    Me- blank look of disgust "Yup," more quietly but still plenty loud enough for him to hear, "fucking idiot"
    Random guy- with an I told you so attitude "I heard snowboarders were assholes"
    I just chugged my beer and chuckled as I walked off
    As a boarder... this is the funniest damn thing I ever saw in this thread! but theres so many gems

neither of these are skiing related, but were said by relatives over the holidays

"Is there really work in coal? Its not like it is used for anything anymore"

"So they make gps that are for hiking too? How does that work?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Stupid girl snowboarder up on the ridge at loveland, "I hate powder". dumb cunt.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Heard on Imperial at Breck during a stiff breeze:
    "That's why it's called Breckenfridge"
    "Huh, what does that mean?"
    "Means it's like a refrigerator"

...Ipod turned to max volume

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    Stupid girl snowboarder up on the ridge at loveland, "I hate powder". dumb cunt.
    Did you push her over?

Over here in New York, most of the people were grateful of the 12 inches of "powder" we had. I did have some guy attempting to "coach" me today on a lift ride up. I was taking it easy for a few runs, and I guess that didn't satisfy him.
    Isocrates: “Democracy destroys itself because it abuses its right to freedom and equality. Because it teaches its citizens to consider audacity as a right, lawlessness as a freedom, abrasive speech as equality, and anarchy as progress.”

Quote Originally Posted by PowderBunny View Post
    Did you push her over?
    On the contrary, I am quite satisfied with gapers avoiding the powder. I run across far too many EXTREME SNOWBOARDERS scraping through 2 storms' worth of powder in a 3.5 foot wide track all the way down the EXTREME DOUBLE BLACK runs.

A-basin Lenawee liftline today:
    Guy asks cute girl what the RECCO patch on the shoulder of her Arcteryx jacket is for.
    Cute girl: "I think it's for wiping my goggles".

Boy is she going to feel foolish when she finds out about Ski Gees!
    (gaper quote in and of itself)
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Ski shop today in Colorado. Girl renting an AT gear package. The use of skins had just been explained, and the shop person was about to show how to use a Tracker. Girl: "I don't want to rent the shovel."

Quote Originally Posted by telelebowski View Post
    Ski shop today in Colorado. Girl renting an AT gear package. The use of skins had just been explained, and the shop person was about to show how to use a Tracker. Girl: "I don't want to rent the shovel."
    That's just disturbing.
    A responsible shop wouldn't have rented her the gear.
    OTOH, I'll bet the Arcteryx jacket came with a tag that explained what the RECCO is for. Maybe the shovel should have had one too.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

change of pace, here is an anti-gaper.
    i took my inlaws 10yr old cousin to plattekill on sunday. As far as i know he had been to hunter once last year and maybe one other mtn before that. 2nd chair up he says to me, 'its suppose to be a blizzard, we should stay and snowboard tomorrow.'
    plattekill and most of the catskills received 12-16in that night. thank you sebby

Quote Originally Posted by niccacrates View Post
    change of pace, here is an anti-gaper.
    i took my inlaws 10yr old cousin to plattekill on sunday. As far as i know he had been to hunter once last year and maybe one other mtn before that. 2nd chair up he says to me, 'its suppose to be a blizzard, we should stay and snowboard tomorrow.'
    plattekill and most of the catskills received 12-16in that night. thank you sebby
    HAHA! I can see how this would bring a smile to your face. Teach this boy well!

Ski shop today in Colorado. Girl renting an AT gear package.
    Who the fuck rents AT gear? That's like renting jet skis and tow boards to the tourists in HI and pointing the way toward Jaws. I hope that shop is donating all the rental money to the local search and rescue group.

Wilderness Sports in Dillon?

Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Who the fuck rents AT gear? That's like renting jet skis and tow boards to the tourists in HI and pointing the way toward Jaws. I hope that shop is donating all the rental money to the local search and rescue group.
    What kind of skier should never go into the BC?
    The one inquiring about renting the gear.

That's nuts!
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by DropCliffsNotBombs View Post
    What kind of skier should never go into the BC?
    The one inquiring about renting the gear.

That's nuts!
    Why is that nuts? I rent AT gear to go out with friends into the BC. I don't get to do it enough to justify buy it.

I don't know about CO but out here there are also guided BC day trips and the like you can do with guide services.

Quote Originally Posted by zutroy View Post
    Why is that nuts? I rent AT gear to go out with friends into the BC. I don't get to do it enough to justify buy it.

I don't know about CO but out here there are also guided BC day trips and the like you can do with guide services.
    YER GONNA DIE!!!! Seriously though, you do need to regularly practice with your (familiar) gear to be truly safe. Just having the gear is only 50% of your safety protocol. Figuring out how to use that beacon/shovel/probe while in an emergency rescue... is just not cricket!
    If you are good enough at using unfamiliar rental gear, then you should not be renting anymore at that point anyway.

Guided operations (heli/snowcat) slap a beacon on you, but don't expect you to be involved in any rescues. They just make sure that you at least know how to switch your beacon off of transmit... and stand aside out of the way of the rescue.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

I think places near Bridger rent shovel, beacon, and probes for basically skiing in bounds. Yeah, I know the obvious arguments here. Especially since the expansion.
    I have my own safety gear, but nothing for uphill travel. I could see renting an AT package to tour with someone in a relatively safe area, life after the lifts close or something. Maybe one day, I can get some Dynafits.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by DropCliffsNotBombs View Post
    YER GONNA DIE!!!! Seriously though, you do need to regularly practice with your (familiar) gear to be truly safe. Just having the gear is only 50% of your safety protocol. Figuring out how to use that beacon/shovel/probe while in an emergency rescue... is just not cricket!
    If you are good enough at using unfamiliar rental gear, then you should not be renting anymore at that point anyway.

Guided operations (heli/snowcat) slap a beacon on you, but don't expect you to be involved in any rescues. They just make sure that you at least know how to switch your beacon off of transmit... and stand aside out of the way of the rescue.
    I agree with you on the safety gear...I have my own beacon/probe/shovel and practice searching in a basin. the shop I rent AT gear from won't rent out beacons. I bought the safety gear because I wanted to be effective at searches if one was ever needed and I can use them in-bounds if conditions warrant it.

I however can't bring myself to drop a grand plus on AT gear when I only get to use it a couple times of year...it's 5.5 hours for me to get up to were the guys I go with live, so the opportunities to meet up with them is just not there for me. I would rather spend $40 to rent really nice demo AT gear.

Having b/p/s is no safety protocol if you've no idea how to use them.

That said lots of places rent AT gear in CO. Without knowing the terrain they are attempting, hard to say the level of risk they are accepting, wittingly or unwittingly.

At least when you are making decisions the girl without the shovel won't be mistaken as an asset, unlike the guy next to her who rented a shovel.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    ^^^

My choice for gaper quote of the day

Back on topic . . . .

Riding the gondola at The Canyons during the great storm cycle last week, I ask the snowboarder and only person in the cabin with me if he is enjoying all the new snow.

He says "I hate it, I was hoping to go home with a tan!"

I told the man from Chicago "you should have gone to Florida!"
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

That's more like it.

And let's all keep in mind--we were all gapers once, and most of us still are. My fondest wish is to find myself quoted in this thread and I promise I won't take offense.