NOLA Jazz Fest TR (vehy lawn heah grab yo'sef a daquiri and Pralen an sehttle in naw!

I got lot's of pics, and will post them when I get 'em downloaded, but this is what it is until then. (read: Diary entry # 43,345) but I though some of you may enjoy this

Flew into the Big Easy for my second time ever Wednesday afternoon, and started drinkin We found a spot in the FrenchQuarter whose house band was killin it. Dude on the Tenor Sax couldn't have been more than 18 years old and he was "on"... unlike the hurricane our friend ordered, it must have been Grain alcohol and koolaid 'cause that shit was nasty! They finished their set and we were off to Remulaude for some alligator legs and gumbo. Stopped of at a nice place in the CBD on the way back to the hotel and took advantage of the $2 JackDaniels special, scored a plate of free cheese, and accidentally skipped out on our last round... oops.
    >With the Radiators show that night (private party at Tipitinas!!!) our options at this point were to go down for a nap, or keep drinking.... of course we chose the latter. Jack and cokes and chillums in the hotel room, and we were off to Tip's for what promised to be a scorcher of a show.

They were'n't selling tickets, and when we got their the line was around the corner. It was actually cool though because, within 15 minutes, everyone standing outside in that Loooseeanna rain was now inside and boogying down to one of the coolest bands I've never listened too. These guys were tight man, I mean super cool playin their hearts out together tight. At the set break, in through the out door came a 10 piece Dixie-land style band with three mardis gras indians to boot. They came in, marched/danced/drummed,and proceeded to have a 15 minute hoe-down in the middle of the room... Highlight of the festival for me... The Rads came back like 5 minutes later for the second set and it was just as good as the first. They played til 3:15 and Jack had kicked my ass so there was no late night Karl Denson show for us.

Thursday Dawned, then we went to bed and then it rained. And rained. And rained. Not like anyother rain, as I would soon hear Anders Osborne sing at the MainStage. But Looooooseeeeanna rain boye. Dat shit was cohmin down lawdie was it cohmin down. The Jazz Festival was cancelled for the first time in over 30 years that day, so we spent the day at places like you find nowhere else in the world. The Napolean House for a muffaletta and a pimms cup. Rock n Roll collectiobles for a slice of history. The French Market for voo-doo and chachki what nots. The StCharles street car. Jackson Square, and shopping for shoes on Decatur St. (I can't seem to go anywhere without doing that at least once) Coffe and a biegnet at CafeDuMonde and it was time for a nap. We had Government Mule tickets at the Orpheum that night, also promising to be a special show as it was their 10th anniversary concert...

We likely missed the first song or two, but what we saw... Oh man it was smokin... I foolishly didn't right down a set list, but I can tell you a few of the highlights. Chris Robinson as well as the bass player from the Black Criwes sat in for the last 3 songs of the first set. Closing the set with Warren totally tearing it up on Hard To Handle.
    >2nd set was just as explosive as the first with not one, not two, but three special guest appearances. First we has the Dirty Dozen Brass Band sit in for 3 songs, the last of which was a beautiful rendition of an old Otis Redding tune called Dreams To Remember. One song, then out comes James Moody? Mooney? sorry I don't know who he has played with in the past, but OOOH LAWD he and Warren were dueling some riffs that were over the top!!! Next out again for the last 3 songs was Karl Denson and that dood was blowin the sax like nobody can. To top it all off, they encore'd with Creep by Radiohead... totally unexpected and off the hook good time show!!!!

Saturday was the shit though. We got to the Main stage in time enough to get a good spot staked out... Mind you, this is Nawlins so it is no problem if you want to buy a sixer of beer inside, hell you can buy 2 cases of beer if you want and take 'em back to your seat... Quite a refreshing change unless you don't tip, den ya'll don't get no ice nah an you beah is sho to git hawt! > Caught the end of Anders Osborne. Down home LA boy with that nitty gritty sound you know so well from the bayou. After a big plate of the best festival food on the planet all we could do was stay put for the Funky Meters. Now THAT"S a fun band! Also caught a few songs each of Shaggy, The Dave Brubeck Quartet, and a wanderin Dixie-Land Jazz ensemble, before it was back to the mainstage for Santana. Random sighitings after the fest included some old family friends from Martha's Vinyard and an old housemate of Bustr Highmen> weird cosmic connection to say the least> ff through more muffalettas, bud lights, and chillums of course and it was time to head to the State Palace theater for Jurasic 5 and Galactic.

We were front row the whole show. it did not dissapoint either. I don't know J-5 (as those in the know call them) but what I saw I liked. Four dudes backed up by a really good DJ kickin it old school style for 90 minutes straight. I couldn't stop dancing. Then Galactic stormed the stage and threw it down man. When they are on, they might be one of my favorite bands around. Conversely, when they bring out the house-man, they are one of my least favorite bands. Luckily for me, the house-man didn't even sing until the last few songs.
    who's up for next year? We're goin back fo sho naw.
    Back to reality for now and possibly the Betty Ford clinic as well.
    Last edited by tibaher; 05-03-2004 at 05:27 PM.

I JazzFest.

edit: John Mooney knows how Warren likes it.

J5 and Galactic together??? Now you TALKING!
    Last edited by Pinner; 05-03-2004 at 03:12 PM.

awesome time down easy
    how bout that electrical storm thurs night!?
    that was something else
    here is the Mule Setlist from 4/30. We were front row LOVING it

set1
    Just Got Paid
    Thelonius Beck
    GameFace
    Temporary Saint
    Fallen Down
    Patchwork Quilt w/ Rob Barraco
    Devil Likes It Slow
    Somtine Salvation w/C Robinson & Audley Freed
    Dreams w/CR & AF
    Hard To Handle w/ CR & AF

set 2 Off of a stage copy:

John the Rev. w/DDBB
    Dreams to remember w/ DDBB
    Blindman w/Karl Denson(knocked my socks off)
    4 My Lover w/Karl Denson
    32/20 Blues w/J. Mooney??
    Drums
    Low Spark w/Denson
    Mule
    Sick Andy HESS

Encore:
    Creep

4 days- 3 nights, 6.7 hrs of sleep
    got to Love NOLA!
    cya next year

knew I shoulda seen if any nickels could be changed while we were down there

sorry we missed ya Radaam and thanks for the Set list. I though we saw KD more than once....that Low Spark was way cool too!
    >and yes, I miss thunder(and lightning)storms... what I saw of it was pretty rad.

you happen to catch Soundtribe sector nine? I was sad to miss them too.

nope, we went to the Chris Robinson late night show
    didn't see the tribe

we spent most of our sunrises at Igors

I missed the second night of the Mule, I was bummed, that setlist looked sick. Not that Friday night wasn't sweet, I just like a few more of the tunes they played on Sat. That Karl D was def a highlight!

Second Night

Set 1:
    No Quarter
    Bad Little Doggie
    Rocking Horse
    Thorazine Shuffle
    When Doves Cry > Beautifully Broken > WDC > BB
    Birth of the Mule w/So Happy Together tease
    Mr. Big
    Life Before Insanity
    I'm A Ram
    30 Days in the Hole

Set 2:
    One
    Take Me To The River w/Rob Somerville of Deep Banana Blackout on sax
    I Ain't Superstitious w/Smokey Greenwell (sp?) on harmonica
    Tastes Like Wine
    Sco-Mule > Drums > Sco-Mule
    Slow Happy Boys
    Young Man Blues > Good Morning Little Schoolgirl > YMB

Encore 1:
    Spanish Moon w/Ivan Neville on Clavinet and B3

Encore 2:
    Wish You Were Here w/crowd singing a verse and chorus
    Soulshine

Igor's is the quintessential Colorado-ski-bum-takes-a-end-of-season-JazzFest-break bar.

I've greeted the sun there a few times. "Boy, that moon sure is bright!"

Jealousy. Never been but have lots of friends who go. We have a crtawfish boil each year for everybody that can't go, I've been to that lots. Sounds like you got some pretty amazing line-ups.
    Radiators are amazing live, one of the best bands live , I've seen.

Uncle went , said the rain was crazy, said you could see the start of it like a wall moving towards you.
    Skiing, where my mind is even if my body isn't.

Sounds like I did a similiar trip except I got there on Friday and left Monday. Saw Mule on Saturday Night. Definitely a fun time especially sitting in and jamming on a few songs on Sunday night/Monday Morning with the band playing at Lizards Lounge. Good food, good music definitely a place to go and let loose.

Other fun bands/musicians caught: Papa Grows Funk, Wycelf, Chris Smither.

Bump for New Orleans and smoking joints in the Hot tub at the Sheraton.
    Insominia is my new hobby.

yeppers, bumping an 11 year old Jazz Fest thread, mostly cuz the OP's TR is worth it. Gonna be there in 3 weeks, but also just downloaded some Anders Osborne.

good stuff, looking forward to hearing him there...
    see ya at the Chickie Wah Wah-)
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's