ski leash opinions

Last year I started skiing again after 15 years off. This wasn't a self imposed exile by any means. I severly broke my leg when I was 19 and it wasnt untill last year that I was able to get back on the mountain. I've been skiing some steeps (spanky's, cougar shoots) and powder and am just getting into the backcountry. My dilemia is this: Because of my leg's weakness I have my DIN set at 6. There have been at least 2 times when I thought that I was going to break my leg, and then I popped out. Both of these times resulted in a 10-15 minute ski search. I have started skiing with tele leashes but these seem kind of scary.....what do people recomend I do?

meags

Powder ribbons

search function and or tech talk jong
    It's 5 o'clock somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by iridehere View Post
    ...DIN set at 6. There have been at least 2 times when I thought that I was going to break my leg, and then I popped out...
    Awesome that you're getting back on skis again! Congrats!

Yeah, long fluorescent tape, one end tied to ski binding, and the other end with excess tape tucked up your pantleg (not attached to anything, just tucked in there).

Your leg sounds really fragile. Steeps at DIN=6 just sounds risky to me. Play it safe. And if you're taking risks in the backcountry, be sure to communicate those risks to your partners in advance.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

What kind of fracture did you have? Sounds interesting that it hasn't healed better than that in 15 years. I could unterstand if you were in a weightless environment or bed ridden during that time.

I recommend you learn how to spell.

Yeah definatly get powder ribbons. Leashes are a bad idea for obvious reason.
    and congrats on getting back into skiing i couldnt imagine not being able to ski for 15 years.

Thanks for the tips and the support. I did a few searches but have found no one with a similar problem (either here or in person).

I broke my heel, my ankle (x3), my tibula, fibula and my femur. I have a severe nerve injury and only got back about 85% of the muscle mass so no matter how much I work at strengthing it, it will never be as strong as my other leg. The main problem is my ankle and the lack of muscle supporting the bones.

My backcountry partner is great and he is very aware of what I can do. No heckeling for taking it easy. Skied Baker today and should have worn my rubber suit.

meags

You should seriously consider taking up snowboarding.
    It's almost as fun, and WAY less risky on the leg.