Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyJim View Post
    For those wondering, I have the 193s and the 186s (present to my Pops)
    have you skied both? can you offer any opinions on 08/09 193 v 186?

just curious as i own the 06/07 193 (different ski, i know), and i'm curious about the 08/09s.

many people seem to say that the 186 is the one to get....but it seems so....short. in fact, some are saying the 186 is an AK-type ski. daily skiing in jackson is conducive to bigger skis, in general, but there are many out there who argue hard against the 193. when pressed, though, none have actually skied the 193.

This IS my JH/Las Lenas ski.

I bought it with Las Lenas in mind knowing I'd be (hopefully) moving to Jackson after i go to SA.

That being said, I have not skied the 86. I will, but the 93 is what you are looking for for JH. It'll turn quick and pivot, stay stable, have no top speed in pow/windbuff/cream cheese etc

Keep in mind, I also have Praxis (which I love) so for me to consider taking these out when it's soft means a lot.

where have people mounted the 186? I have read on the line all the way to -3.5 on this thread. Summit have you moved the binding back to the -2.5 or -3.5? If so how do they rip? I demoed these on the line and thought there was a little to much tail but loved how they pivot. If I move them back behind the line will I lose some of the pivot feel? I'm sure they had a bunch of prototypes of these skis and determined the line was were it was at. I know what they can do on the line and I was pretty psyched with the ski, just want to know from the people who have tweaked with the mount point. Any additional comments or thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
    have you skied both? can you offer any opinions on 08/09 193 v 186?

just curious as i own the 06/07 193 (different ski, i know), and i'm curious about the 08/09s.

many people seem to say that the 186 is the one to get....but it seems so....short. in fact, some are saying the 186 is an AK-type ski. daily skiing in jackson is conducive to bigger skis, in general, but there are many out there who argue hard against the 193. when pressed, though, none have actually skied the 193.

I'm 5'10" 180. I skied the 186 and thought it skied very short and I'm certainly no expert (I can barely turn a Salomon Czar 183). If the 193 were a bit softer than the 186 it would be about perfect for me but I also thought the 186 pretty stiff comapred to most powder skis.

Edit: I like 186 ski. Fun and easy to ride (pivot style turns)
    Last edited by 4matic; 01-25-2009 at 11:11 PM.

^^^ yeah I'm a 5'11 175 very ordinary skier and the 186s are super easy and pivoty and fun. Not sure about their upper limits but if you rip and are going to AK I figure there might be something more chargey out there.
    "Unfortunately, Meadows mgmt/marketing found out about the PR stash and published it on their trail map."

Skied both the 08 186 (same as 09) and the 09 193. Skied them back to back, same run, same day.

After more inspection, the overall shape is very similar. Here is the difference; the rocker profile is very much the same in the tip between both skis. The tail is more square on the 193 with less of a pintail whereas the 186 is more rockered/turned up and has about 1-2cm more pintail.

I'll write more later but they do ski more similarly than I would have originally thought. The 186s are a little more agile but I really don't think it has much to do with the shape/extra tail rocker, i think it has a whole lot more to do with the fact it's a 186 vs a 193.

So, basically, make your decision based off what size makes the most sense for you, not what shape makes the most sense as they really aren't that much different...

Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    Anyone ever skied these two sizes and know how to compare to a Sanouk?

I haven't been on a 4FRNT since they were still in Truckee, but like that the EHP has little sidecut, not a ton of rocker, and not super (kuro/pontoon) huge width. Could be just the ticket to replace the Sanouks.

EHP is waaaayy stiffer than Sanouk

Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    ^^^ Yeah, that goes without saying. I should've been more specific, looking more for float comparisons... the 193's probably a better similar ride to the Sanouk than the 186.

Can someone compare the 186 EHP's to 186 Lhasa's re powder/tree skiing performance?
    Thanks.

sanouk vs EHP,

shape is almost the same, but with the sanouk being softer it is a nicer, all mountain, every day ski. better in tight trees, short turns, etc.
    the EHP just doesn;t have an upper speed limit, where the sanouk at mach speeds starts to feel unstable.

Just bought a spanking new pair of ehp's and looking into mounting them. Was wondering if anybody had any new experiences with different mounting positions? Was thinking of mounting them on the mark since I kind of trust Hoji, but please let me know if i'm making a mistake.

Now all I need is a big euro-dump to take them out

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Naets View Post
    Just bought a spanking new pair of ehp's and looking into mounting them. Was wondering if anybody had any new experiences with different mounting positions? Was thinking of mounting them on the mark since I kind of trust Hoji, but please let me know if i'm making a mistake.

Played with binding position on a demo pair of EHP's. Mounted mine on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Naets View Post

I have mine mounted on the line. I definitely would not go forward of the line, I have been told it does not do well with the rocker to go forward. Some people like to go one behind the line. I have heard that makes it easier to slide the tails, though I don't know firsthand.

I would say either on the line or 1 cm back.

I should add that this is for the EHP 186, NOT the 193. I don't know enough about the 193 to offer an opinion.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Thanks for the replies. It's the 186, so the line it is. Will post up a review after I skied them, but I expect nothing but praise.

After thinking more about the EHP line, am I the only one who would like to see a bit more rocker?

Just a thought...I love the shape but would love to see it extended back double what it is (in the tip) and 50% more in the tail (in the 193).

It would make the ski that much more smearable and I don't really think it'd would effect its ability to ski back to the chair....I'm not the kind of guy that is going to ski this when it's hard anyway so I don't see the point in NOT extending rocker.

After thinking more about the EHP line, am I the only one who would like to see a bit more rocker?

Just a thought...I love the shape but would love to see it extended back double what it is (in the tip) and 50% more in the tail (in the 193).

It would make the ski that much more smearable and I don't really think it'd would effect its ability to ski back to the chair....I'm not the kind of guy that is going to ski this when it's hard anyway so I don't see the point in NOT extending rocker.
    Picked up a pair of 193s and think that more rocker profile could take away from its charging mentality and make it more of your generic rocker ski. Also the EHP renegade seems to be the answer to more rocker in the ski.

Also jeffery where is the line on your 193 in relation to a strait pull from the tail? if you get a chance to measure.

The renegade does not really exist does it?

I'll throw a tape on it (if I remember) later.

The renegade does not really exist does it?

I'll throw a tape on it (if I remember) later.
    ??. 4Frnt hasn't said much else about the renegade besides that short video of them awhile back.

Thanks for the measurement (if you get around to it) b/c i've heard the sugested line has varied from 85cm to 88.5cm from the tail and just want to know where you're mounted in reference to your review on the 193.

Is there is very deep pow is it big chance for the tip to dive offen? or will the rocker keep it up?

Mine float fine (186)

Tips never dive on my 179s, but like everybody says: STAY FORWARD ON THEM. Get into the backseat at a good clip and they'll kick your ass.

Just bought a par of 186 today with dukes 16. any idea where i shoud mount them? shoud i do normal or 2 cm back.

Quote Originally Posted by Marok View Post
    Just bought a par of 186 today with dukes 16. any idea where i shoud mount them? shoud i do normal or 2 cm back.
    Normal, definitely. I trusted Hoji's judgement on the line placement and haven't regretted it yet.

forest Guest
    second year on mine, mounted on the line. They look pretty short in the front, but ski awesome. Love the EHP.