Are my DIN too low - or is this pre-release

Trying to get a sense of this. I jumped off a small cliff band today - dropped about 15 feet into powder. Landed about waist deep - and I walked out of one of my bindings. When I found my ski - it looked like I landed well.

I did forward roll out of it, but I can't be sure if that was before or after release.

I had my DIN set at 9.5. I am about 190, 5'9" and bsl of 305. Seemed like a high set DIN, and I did not release anywhere else.

Is a drop like that enough to need to crank my DIN up a little? I want to stay in my skis, and keep my knees.

Any advise?

If you landed waist deep I could see walking out.

Sounds low to me. I weigh less than you and have a longer BSL and run my din a little higher. But din is all personal preference
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

I'm pretty darn close to your specs and have released easily multiple times on the same run at a din of 9. I think my most spectacular was on a beautiful pow day at a little resort in France. Linking some nice turns down a fairly steep pow field and Just above a little rock band I slashed a quick turn to scrub some speed. Imagine my surprise when I maintained all of my speed but was simply traveling sideways and in the air. Double ejected out of both skis but thankfully the rock band was small and both skis followed me over it. Sadly it was deep, took forever to find my skis, and was visible from the lift.

I now am set at 10.5 - 11. Seems to keep me where I want to be but still releases when I need it to ( or did when I was able to ski before an injury that isn't ski related ).

HOWEVER, I could see you coming out of your skis easily on a drop of that size. All it takes is a small tweak to put some pretty serious vertical or lateral pressure on your binding. If you're coming out of your skis while laying a carver or dropping fewer than 5-10 feet cleanly, then I would say you were pre-releasing.
    Last edited by koolaideprived; 01-07-2008 at 11:52 PM.
    Forced days in bed this winter: 48
    Forced days on crutches/walker: 37
    I'M WALKING AGAIN!!!
    Days on snow: Are you kidding?

What bindings are you running?
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    So there I was McGoverning down the mountain but I McConkeyed the hell out of a Morrison and landed on my Harrisons. Just then I Skogened off a Tuffelmire but hit my McMurray into a Holmes. As I came to the Burke I Steele Spenced over a Moles and stopped on a Krietler. Then I saw Gaffney, and then two Gaffneys, but they Moseleyed me into a Hall. So I said, "Pep!!" and Saged on out of that Thovex.
    Poetry, on motion.

As indicated above, it has a bit to do with the binding. Different brand obviously reacto differently in the real world, but the same brand of binding with differernt springs in them will work differently. Generally, with a stiffer spring you can stay a bit lower on the scale.

I would say that the most important thing when cranking up the DIN setting is that it has to relate to how active you ski. A little tiny world cup DH racing girl will blow out a binding at DIN 18 if she chrashes because she is strong and will not relax.

But even if you are heavy, if you go up to DIN 12 and then makes a twisting fall when you are not prepared you can blow a knee.

So, when you crank it up, you in a way have to pay more atention when you ski and just don't relax at the wrong moment.

That said. I have the same bsl as you but weight around 150lbs. I set my bindings (S916) at around 11 or 12. So if you strt dropping cliffs, 95 at your weight is rather low.

Am I missing somthing here, I run my rossi's at DIN7ish, I'm 5ft9, 180lbs.

I have often dropped 20ft plus, and have landed 30ft plus (photo evidence) in 1ft deep pow. I ski all over the mountain mainly off piste in the sidecountry. I have CSIA level 2 (nothing special I know) and ski fairly fast. I have been skiing since I could walk and have done 2 seasons in Europe, skiied all the big lines in Tignes and skied in La Grave. (I feel I had to put all this to try and ward off a few JONG comments...probably won't do any good!)

The point of all this is, I have very rarely pre-released without it being MY FAULT, for example landing too far forward in heavy snow... I find it hard to believe people that say they pre-release at DIN12, are you actually PRE-releasing or are you just landing fucked up?

After all, what do the pro's run their binders at? Seth's and Hugo's skis stay on (most of the time) after 100ft back flips....are they at DIN100ft?

ok,ok...come on, jong me.......ohh yea, and I know that I cant spell....

Well, I didn't say I pre release at 12. I have them there not to release unless I really need them too. Its also a security thing. Releasing and having too look for a ski can add some serious exposure time if you're in avalanche terrain.

If you can ski them at 7 thats fine. Probably means you stay very well balanced most of the time. Last year In bound but rather high speed skiing in chewed up terrain for a few day in the beginning for the season. Didn't hold back at all. The third day I suddenly lost a ski without really understanding why. I turned out I had my binders at the lowest setting (probably 6 or 7, the lowest on a pair of S914 anyway). The interesting thing was not that they released but that they took what felt like some serious hitting for over 2 days of skiing before they released.

So what's the lesson. First one is that you really stay balanced, you take some hitting without releasing even when at low DIN. But the the second lesson is that even if you're skis has stayed on for some seemingly hard skiing, if the DIN is low, they will come off easy the moment circumstances become un-advantageous. If that happens in a bad place it can either mean exposing yourself and the group for avalanches unnecessarily or it can mean loosing the ski, falling down some cliffs etc. So in my case, I have them a bit higher and just remember not to relax (or et least not fall when I'm relaxed).

As for the pros, I bet the philosophy regarding this differs too. But I know many of them have bindings that go to 18, 20, 24 etc just like the racers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Trying to get a sense of this. I jumped off a small cliff band today - dropped about 15 feet into powder. Landed about waist deep - and I walked out of one of my bindings. When I found my ski - it looked like I landed well.

I did forward roll out of it, but I can't be sure if that was before or after release.

I had my DIN set at 9.5. I am about 190, 5'9" and bsl of 305. Seemed like a high set DIN, and I did not release anywhere else.

Is a drop like that enough to need to crank my DIN up a little? I want to stay in my skis, and keep my knees.

Any advise?
    Your DIN is a bit low. I would go up to 11, starting in .5 increments. Or take it to a shop and ask for your level III+ setting.

You have a pretty short boot sole, and it means you have to run a higher din.

I'm 180 lb, 6'1, and have a very small 293mm boot. An 11 din is a bit sketchy for me so I normally ski a 13. On some speed oriented skis, I have them set to 14, but am thinking about going up to 15 or 16 since I feel some float at the toe. This is on high din looks or salomons
    Last edited by Damian Sanders; 01-08-2008 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post
    Your DIN is a bit low. I would go up to 11, starting in .5 increments. Or take it to a shop and ask for your level III+ setting.

You have a pretty short boot sole, and it means you have to run a higher din.

I'm 180 lb, 6'1, and have a very small 293mm. An 11 din is a bit sketchy for me so I normally ski a 13. On some speed oriented skis, I have them set to 14, but am thinking about going up to 15 or 16 since I feel some float at the toe. This is on high din looks or salomons
    Aaaahhhh ! Yes !

What's your take on race stock bindings ?
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

Quote Originally Posted by philippeR View Post
    Aaaahhhh ! Yes !

What's your take on race stock bindings ?
    They are too cool for you.

Next question.

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post
    They are too cool for you.

Next question.
    Did you said Cool ?!

Awesome.

"Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

Quote Originally Posted by GapersGoHome View Post
    What bindings are you running?
    Um... Dukes. But I did not want this to be a debate on their virtues, but rather DIN. And hence, my pre-release concern.

I as well have skied on a DIN 5 for 2 days without coming out. Forgot to crank back up opening day...

Perhaps I did land too far forward in the deep, but it sure felt like I should have skied out of that.

Good points here and I also use the plus/minus .5 increment to get my DIN in the right place. One important item not mentioned yet is to make sure you have the correct forward pressure...I assume you released from your heel. I also will run my heels at .5 more than my toe.

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    Am I missing somthing here, I run my rossi's at DIN7ish, I'm 5ft9, 180lbs.

I have often dropped 20ft plus, and have landed 30ft plus (photo evidence) in 1ft deep pow. I ski all over the mountain mainly off piste in the sidecountry. I have CSIA level 2 (nothing special I know) and ski fairly fast. I have been skiing since I could walk and have done 2 seasons in Europe, skiied all the big lines in Tignes and skied in La Grave. (I feel I had to put all this to try and ward off a few JONG comments...probably won't do any good!)

The point of all this is, I have very rarely pre-released without it being MY FAULT, for example landing too far forward in heavy snow... I find it hard to believe people that say they pre-release at DIN12, are you actually PRE-releasing or are you just landing fucked up?

After all, what do the pro's run their binders at? Seth's and Hugo's skis stay on (most of the time) after 100ft back flips....are they at DIN100ft?

ok,ok...come on, jong me.......ohh yea, and I know that I cant spell....
    Word to that brother! 14 and above is way to high for me. I like to stay around 8 or 9 on really huckable days. i'v had total ACL re-construction on both of my knees so id rather keep it low( although I'v never come out on any drop unless u land worng) than blow out another knee!!!!

Would u rather loose a $500 Ski in two feet of pow or rebuild a $20,000 knee/knees? its up to u bro.....

I run my DIN at 10 and I weigh 165lb with a 305bsl. i've released on deep powder landings as well (usually because I think there will be less snow than there is and i'm too far forward on the drop). Haven't really released anywhere else on the mountain yet. I would crank it a bit higher and see if the problem persists, but that's just me.
    "Freeride is just an attitude, to go out in the mountains with no rules and do whatever feels sweet to you at the time." -Chris Davenport

Have you checked your forward pressure? This is very important and sometimes can get out of wack over time. Also, I always set my din 2 higher in the heel then in the toe.

i ride dukes and why should i set the DIN higher in the heel vs the toe? i'm 5'9" @ 173lbs. my din is set at 8.5 (moved the toe and heel up .5).

you are not recomended runing the heel tighter than the toe....admittedly, i do run mine .5 higher, but id be carefull with it and go no higher than 1DIN higher. i dont know why though, just what i was taught when i worked at a shop.

Forward pressure is definitely there on these bindings - tech and I really worked on that. I think a .5 DIN increase is in the cards for the next deep day with me. Then I will see what happens.