Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb PNW- Stay alert: Yesterday 8' crown in Alpy BC (natural) and Avy death near Baker

Not really much for cut/paste but figured this cycle might warrent it's own post

Numerous natural or triggered avalanches have occurred
    Sunday through Monday. Some large natural avalanches were
    reported in the Alpental Valley during this time with
    closer investigation determining one slide exceeding 8 ft
    at the crown face with several other slides with 4 ft
    crowns.
    It appears these slides released down to a lower
    density snow layer above the crust that formed just
    before Christmas.

See today's forecast for more info from nwac.us

In a separate occurrence, Avy death confirmed from yesterday and 1 still missing
    on Excelsior Pass / Church Mtn near Baker. Topic already posted in Slide Forum.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=107360
    Last edited by Squirrel99; 01-02-2008 at 04:44 PM.

Here's an unrelated image that nonetheless provides food for thought:
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

This snow pack is fucking weird. Period.

There was a VERY Large Natural slide on the White salmon glacier sometime Sunday.

Yesterday, Mt. Baker ski patrol used a helicopter to drop eight 50lb bags of explosives on the Shuskan arm and on Hemispheres with no releases. Despite the gut feeling of everyone involved thinking that it was going to go large.

Even after the control work I still dont trust this snowpack.

We NEED a rain event.

heh. I actually said "Holy shit!" out loud on eyeing that.

I think "Stay alert" applies in more than just the PNW these days too. Got myself into a spot I didn't like in Monarch's side country way too easily the other day...

yeah, the hanging snowfield on the rooster went huge three days ago sometime during the blizzard.
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

We saw a couple of patrollers checking out that 8' fracture out about 1 pm yesterday just above knoll 1 about , inside Sharon bowl. It didn't appear to run very far but it was a hudge face, maybe 50ft wide release off a rock promontory.

They're are a few other promontories along the high T traverse line that haven't gone yet- thus the concern and why the low gate remains closed.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

youkneebonger Guest
    jay w. the new patrol director at alpy , mofro?

is the Phantom hangin in there?

plz be safe down there ! thanks in advance

ykb

Buster, where is that pic from?

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    oops- my bad. I could have swore that was Blackcomb Glacier for a minute. Even looks like the TBar terminal in top right corner.
    Last edited by Squirrel99; 01-02-2008 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    http://www.camptocamp.org/uploads/im...2075005028.jpg

(OK...I think it's Yurp....but pretty stunning how skied the slope was and how BIG the fracture was...)

Edit: I think it's Italy. I got it off the HorsPiste thread in SlideZone and followed a link there to this:
    http://www.camptocamp.org/images/110094/it
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 01-02-2008 at 05:13 PM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel99 View Post
    oops- my bad. I could have swore that was Blackcomb Glacier for a minute. Even looks like the TBar terminal in top right corner.
    I too am interested to see what mtn. it is...I don't think it's Blackcomb Glacier...you can't see the Showcase T bar from the glacier. I think it looks like Europe...but what the hell do I know? I am stuck on the east coast.

Edit, because Squirrel99 edited his post, so now it makes no sense quoting him...and someone answered the question. I did have the Euro call right.
    Last edited by bumpskier; 01-02-2008 at 05:19 PM.
    ‎"Powder snow skiing is not fun. It's life, fully lived, life lived in a blaze of reality." -Dolores LaChapelle

Here's an early December picture from A-zone on Mt Hood.

Crown height was from 6 to 10'

Reports around Crystal are patrol ski cut released slides after bombs release nothing. This is second hand info for me though, but I do know a northway chute slid skier triggered w/ about an 18" crown, resulting in a partial burial, during operating hours sunday.

Also heard about patrol dropping a 50lb charge from a heli in silver basin that didn't release a slide, but a 2.5 lb hand charge next to it the following day that released about a 4' crown. This was prior to initial opening of southback for the year before christmas.

Stay safe, all.
    Our great works of human enterprise will fade away with time. The mountain will endure. ~nps

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel99 View Post
    In a separate occurrence, Avy death confirmed from yesterday and 1 still missing
    on Excelsior Pass / Church Mtn near Baker. Topic already posted in Slide Forum.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=107360
    Add Whistler area to that list:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/...che_death.html

Quote Originally Posted by Yonder_River View Post
    Loose slab released in Hanging Bowl, closed area above West Bowl. Died from internal injuries from being sent off a cliff.

more info here:
    http://www.canada.com/theprovince/ne...9-2ce2c9ce5115

Anecdotally, a party released a sz 2 up Duffy on NW slopes on Dec 29th. One person involved. No fatalities or injuries. I didn't see it so don't have any further information.

Size 3s were reported on Cowboy Ridge mid December but this is now old news

Rossland area is seeing stuff go up to size 2 as Skier accidental and Skier remote(80ft) as well as some naturals. I know at least one guy who got suprised recently by a 1.5 while ski cutting a small feature. I experienced settlements below tree line this morning.

I expect there are plenty of pockets left to find, and as a result I'm playing things really close to the chest right now. Sad, because there's lots of sweet snow out there finally.

talking to patrol at alpy today they were not too sure about elevators stability despite it being open. carefull carefull out there

on a side note if anyone in seattle is heading up tomorrow or friday I'm w/o a ride and would split gas and such. PM me

They have found both snowmobilers now at Excelsior. It sounds like the second one had no beacon, as it took many hours to find him.
    Living vicariously through myself.

In Anchortown looking to get my career on track
    It is pretty damned sketchy in the Olympics right now also. Traversing through the trees on Hurricane Hill last week, Jong? and I were causing some pretty nice and deep fractures, especially in the wind loaded stuff. When I was skinning along ridge lines, I to had a few nice mini slabs release--they didn't go very far if at all, but damn, if that shit goes on a larger scale, sadly, most likely someone will get burried and not make it out. Bigger guys like me are going to be the most likely to trigger shit IMO--when you out weight the guy setting track by at least 50 lbs....

Stay safe all, and PLEASE follow your gut!!!! When you get that 'feelin', go with it!!!
    Our world is full of surrender at the first sign of adversity, do not give up when the challenge meets you, meet the challenge. Through perseverance comes the rewards, the rewards that make life so enjoyable.

Seize the day, trusting little in the future.

if you want something, go after it. if you want to screw someone over, look DEEP in your heart and realize Karma is a bitch

http://arcticcycles.com

Quote Originally Posted by FrankZappa View Post
    heh. I actually said "Holy shit!" out loud on eyeing that
    Exact same words that came out of my mouth.

It is also very frightening how tracked out the snow is in the pic Buster posted. Were those the previous days tracks with wind overnight or something? I sure hope so.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Fuck this shit. I'm extending my Utah trip another few days. I ain't touching that shit.

FREAK OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

even though buster's pic is from a land far away, the snowpack is quite the same right now. there's a weird layer that even a rain event might not fix. stay off open rollover's and such. it's not terrible, but it's weird for the pnw.
    Last edited by Zeedashbo; 01-02-2008 at 10:31 PM.
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Quote Originally Posted by ptavv View Post
    Here's an early December picture from A-zone on Mt Hood.

Crown height was from 6 to 10'

Not to get off topic but where is "A-zone"? Curious minds want to know.
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Yonder_River View Post
    I heard that it wasnt a burial but he was swept of a cliff, i think in the weekend chutes.