Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

BC/Pass runs solo...thoughts?

O.K., so I wait at home this am until my wife returns with my beacon (she stayed overnight in JH).
    She gets home at noon, and there is 15" of fresh.
    I get ready to go up to the Pass to do some run or another, with the safest route finding possible..(Coal Creek, Tit-Mouse, chivers, etc...)

Well, NO.

She won't let me go, because I am going solo...BUT, I know, say a few hundred folks that are most likely up there, I would hardly be 'alone', in any case...

Not good enough to her.
    I MUST have a dedicated partner with me, even though it is likely that I would have ended up with many.

Methinks that really she is just pissed off and jealous for not being able to go...

Thoughts?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    O.K., so I wait at home this am until my wife returns with my beacon (she stayed overnight in JH).
    She gets home at noon, and there is 15" of fresh.
    I get ready to go up to the Pass to do some run or another, with the safest route finding possible..(Coal Creek, Tit-Mouse, chivers, etc...)

Well, NO.

She won't let me go, because I am going solo...BUT, I know, say a few hundred folks that are most likely up there, I would hardly be 'alone', in any case...

Not good enough to her.
    I MUST have a dedicated partner with me, even though it is likely that I would have ended up with many.

Methinks that really she is just pissed off and jealous for not being able to go...

Thoughts?
    If you know you'll see people up there, just go up there and when you have a partner call her. She's mainly just concerned for your well-being, methinks. We all tend to get a bit stupid when powder is involved.

Yeah, I will clearly be lonely...
    http://www.wyoroad.info/highway/webc...TetonPass.html

kacha(whiping noise)

I can't pull the 'i'm gonna do it anyway, you are crushing my spirit' card, seeing as she slept on the floor with our three month old with 14 other people in an Aspens condo.

(Pass was ABYSMAL last night)

She's a little...on edge.

Actually, she is asleep right now...should I bolt?

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    If you know you'll see people up there, just go up there and when you have a partner call her. She's mainly just concerned for your well-being, methinks. We all tend to get a bit stupid when powder is involved.
    I'd agree. Can defiantly see were she is coming from? and you just had a kid didn't you? So thats probably why she doesn't want you up there "alone".
    "The riding never stops" Craig Kelly

she takes your beacon to jackson hole, and you're concerned about whether you should ski when she returns late!!!??? i think what you should really be concerned about is her dedicated partner in jackson hole.

if you don't bolt now, you're a pussy. in fact, just for thinking about it, you are a pussy.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Reread, buddy.
    She PICKED UP my beacon from JH, (she wasn't skiing, duh..she had the kid in tow)
    and brought it home.

And THEN says I can't go.

Women.

O.K., so I wait at home this am until my wife returns with my beacon

She won't let me go, because I am going solo...

Thoughts?
    Why did you wait for the beacon?

You dont need it solo, unless you are really depending on random folks to see that there was an avy or slough and come looking for you.

Sales pitch = "Honey, of course I'm not going solo. I am going to the pass and hang out until I can hook up with someone for a few laps. Why would I go solo if I would not go without a beacon?"

If you really are planning on going solo with 15" new and this forecast:

Quote Originally Posted by BTNF avy forecast
    G E N E R A L - A V A L A N C H E - A D V I S O R Y
    The General Avalanche Hazard at Mid and Upper elevations is HIGH. Fifteen inches of new snow driven by strong west-southwest winds have created slabs to three feet in depth. The slabs rest on a variety of aspects and could be easily triggered or run naturally entraining snow from the past several days which will increase the volume of deposition in any slide event. At Low elevations the hazard is CONSIDERABLE. TRAVEL IN AVALANCHE TERRAIN IS NOT RECOMMENDED.
    Then you really are an idiot and I am disappointed that you have already spawned into the future gene pool.
    . . .

Once again, you missed the point:
    I WON'T be going solo, I would be finding partners in the lot.

Did that not come across?

However, this does lead to a different conversation...are there safe solo routes on the Pass, in your opinion?

However, this does lead to a different conversation...are there safe solo routes on the Pass, in your opinion?
    read my comment, man. Its your explanation to your wife that you are serious about not going solo.

tell her this:

"WHY WOULD I WAIT FOR MY BEACON AND THEN GO SOLO, BIATCH?"
    . . .

And THEN says I can't go.
    that's the part i don't get. where does it say that when you're married (or have kids) she gets to decide whats ok for you? if she needed you to help watch the baby because she was so tired, that would be understandable. but just to powderblock you because she doesn't trust your judgment is not cool imo.

of course, my marriage was an utter failure, so......

If the avy danger is that high, I am surprised to see that many cars at the pass

Even if there are safe routes on the pass to go solo, you have a three month old. Why risk it?

the recent deaths we've had out in the hills probably aren't helping convince the wife either..

And the fact that I ride five days a week...today I just happen to have off.

Hmm...I'm gonna take one for the team today, I think.
    On the bright side, the new floor trim in the bathroom is going to look simply fabulous!

CONGRATS!

On the new bathroom floor trim. Keep it dust-free and the bathroom will always look clean.

Solo missions aren't ideal but they are fun, rewarding, and a great sense of adventure. I used to do a good amount but it gets pretty boring.

With that said, going solo to the pass isn't a big deal since everyone and their grandmother ski there.

About your wife...sometimes you just gotta listen. Tkae one for the team and more than likely, your relationship at home will be more peaceful and rewarding.

About skiing solo with or without a beacon...you should always wear one. You never know what you may encounter and if you were to be buried and then pass on, it might be a little more comforting for your family knowing they found you. A little closure, know what i mean?

Rideit...i'm in town until Thursday afternoon. Skiing Two Oceans, Leidy and the pass (Tuesday). stoy
    Last edited by Stoysluttie1; 12-30-2007 at 11:07 PM.
    There's a world out there full of color, dreams, and imagination. What are you waiting for?

stoy, pm me, and remove your #...

Funny, I faced the exact same question this morning after Alltrans cancelled their Targhee bus. I didn't really feel too psyched about the drive and thought about the Pass. Decided against it, only cuz i'm 3/4 thru with a nasty cough/cold and wanted to finish it off.

Imho solo runs are fine and can be fun, albeit sometimes boring as Stoy says. I've had the same discussion on solo kayaking. To me the "don't fuck up light" is a lot brighter when solo. I tend to be a lot more coservative. I would have hit Shivvers.
    Funny, when I think of the last few avi fatals, none were solo. Not sure what if anything that says.
    Good call today ridetit. Sounds like the solo thing may have not been the whole deal. Maybe next time propose cell check in times? Pass has great coverage In my limited experience.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

what's wrong with skiing alone?

my wife and I have an understanding - we are both allowed to ski alone
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

If you do it in the BC, keep it pretty mellow.

When Archie didn't show for work, nobody was too worried. When he didn't show the next day, we went looking for him. Finding him with his hand above the snow and a large ice block around his head is kind of sobering.

Rideit - life won't come to a halt if you miss one storm day.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoysluttie1 View Post
    Tkae one for the team and more than likely, your relationship at home will be more peaceful and rewarding.
    For a single guy you've got some good advice. srlsy, I took one for the team yesterday - stayed home to help my wife clean the house/laundry/dishes/time with kids and to get ready for a holiday party with her family.

She happy, me happy, me ski pow tomorrow, me happy again. We all win.

That said, touring solo is something I like doing and I think it makes me a more conservative bc skier, even when I'm with partners. Dad/husband first, skier second. Hard to keep that clear when it's face shots to be had but that's the gig I signed up for.

</steps down from soapbox>
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

About skiing solo with or without a beacon...you should always wear one. You never know what you may encounter and if you were to be buried and then pass on, it might be a little more comforting for your family knowing they found you. A little closure, know what i mean?
    not to mention in case something happens to someone else. you would be able to assist in the search.

i have 2 comments:
    BUT, I know, say a few hundred folks that are most likely up there, I would hardly be 'alone', in any case...

don't chastise the guy -- you said you "know tons of people up there", not that you'd find a partner in the lot. what you typed earlier reads as if you'd go out, solo, but expect to be saved by someone not in your party. in my opinion, that's poor form.

if you have to ask, rideit... no, you shouldn't go.

you've lived in the area a long time, say you ride the pass many, many days, and have abundant avy knowledge. if those are true (and i'm not saying they're not) AND you trust in your abilities, you don't need to ask on a forum what the safe routes are, if any, for a solo rider.

there's safety and danger on any given day. the fact that you're asking the question and given the new snow, high winds, avy report, and the layers in this snowpack, you probably made the best call by not going out alone. it's alot tougher/more respectable to make that decision than it is to go out, foolishly, and get lucky.

I think she should have trusted your experience and judgement and have let you go. She was tired and wanted help with the kid, so it is understandable. As far as touring solo, it is not ideal, but sometimes that is how it has to get done. For me it allows me to get it after it when I want, and Keeps my judgement in check.

I let my wife ski all morning(11" at 5am, 19" at 11am). I hung out all morning with my 3 year old daughter. It was tough, but then I took her for a couple of preview laps, handed her off to my happy, but tired wife, and headed up for a solo tour. Granted the over the head snow made my day, but having a happy wife that got face shots, and teaching my girl to ski is priceless. There will be other days, but she needs to respect your rite to get after it solo.