Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

81 65.32%
  • no

43 34.68%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

have you torn YOUR acl?

Actually I've torn two. Voted yes, even though its not exactly the right answer.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

Where is the option for two or more?

Its pretty much a done deal. Nearly all extreme athletes will tear one or more ACLs. It kinda comes with the territory.

Add me to the torn both list.

September 29, 1982 in a game of flag football... actually warming up before the first game. So like an idiot I stood around all afternoon, watched my buds play the game, went to work in a restaurant, and then the next day went to see an orthopod with my knee as big as a volleyball.

Did some PT, started skiing at Thanksgiving, and never looked back for 23 years. Then on a trail run, meniscus shredded leaving me to drag my leg home and call the orthopod. Ok, I am finally ready after all these years. I had acl with patellar tendon graft, 70% menisectomy, microfracture, and chondroplasty. The pictures of the inside of my knee looked like fringe.

Four and a half months later I skied on sand and have not looked back again.

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

yes I´ve torn one but it was from playing soccer. I´ve never torn one from skiing....

Dare I say I fell off my bed, and no I wasn't adjusting the camera.

Never.

But somehow that fucker figured out how to tear itself.

Not that I know of.
    not counting days 2016-17

Quote Originally Posted by blarin View Post
    A long night of drinking, an hour of sleep, and ten minutes into the first rugby match of the day...crunch - goodbye ACL! I'd love to know if there is a correlation between lack of sleep and ACL injuries... Timing is off by 1/1000th of a second and the hammy and quad don't fire at the appropriate time...and there goes the ACL? Just wondered bout that.
    Last edited by BC13; 12-19-2007 at 09:21 PM.

both for me too. One skiing, the other biking.
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow, what a Ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by alpinedad View Post
    Not that I know of.
    You'd know.

I tripped in a field chasing a small child. Imagine? How ridiculously un-glamorous.
    When logic goes out the window, go with it.

-- yogachik

not torn, but well strained x 1
    strained both MCLs
    tore a meniscus

rehabbing for 3 of the 4 at present

facking knees

Tore my ACL Boxing day 2004 under Jersey Cream chair.

Skied a few more times that season. Sprained my knee real bad once in the Crystal area, called it a season. Sprained my knee again August 2005 landing on my foot while biking. Decided to get the surgery. Had surgery October 2005. No skiing in 05/06 and that winter was deeeeep! 200+ days on the bike for both 2005 and 2006, came back to skiing 2006/2007 witha brand new knee! There is absolutely NO difference between the original knee and the operated knee as far as strength, stability, range, everything.

Do what your physio tells you and you'll get through it!

-m

I made it out of my foolish years injury free and did mine last year taking it easy. Oh well, it feels great now and I just missed the tail end of a crappy season.

Didn't vote because it says 'yes I've torn one' and I'm on number three. Course the latest one used to be part of my patella tendon, so who knows if that counts. I love the fact that right now when I try to hold a door open with my foot I can feel the bones in my leg moving around in unnatural ways--fortunately, no problems skiing (so far), except for when I try to turn around as I'm gliding through the corral to show my pass. Ouch.
    [quote][//quote]

yes, unfortunately yes

WWCD is online now Non Threating Male Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by BC13 View Post
    A long night of drinking, an hour of sleep, and ten minutes into the first rugby match of the day...crunch - goodbye ACL! I'd love to know if there is a correlation between lack of sleep and ACL injuries... Timing is off by 1/1000th of a second and the hammy and quad don't fire at the appropriate time...and there goes the ACL? Just wondered bout that.
    This is exactly how I did mine.

Mine was towards the end of the first game of the season, so I attribute it to being out of shape more than lack of sleep.

I have done my right and left about 8 months apart.
    The beatings will continue until moral improves!

Quote Originally Posted by BC13 View Post
    There might be something to this. I tore mine on my first run after a week in Mexico doing, well, doing what you do when you're in Mexico. I blame it on being too relaxed and unfocused.

Tore one and couldn't imagine going through it again. Feel sorry for those that did. At least on the 1st one you don't really have a clue as to how bad it sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
    Tore one and couldn't imagine going through it again. Feel sorry for those that did. At least on the 1st one you don't really have a clue as to how bad it sucks.

at least not until said person reads your email. thanks for the heads up!

Never and I have never broken a bone either (maybe my finger a little, there is a weird bump but it didn't really hurt) which is weird because I played all hockey, basketball, football and baseball until 10 grade and played hockey well into college. I have taken some really nasty falls skiing and got layed out in hockey one time so bad that I was sure I had broken my back. Yet nothing (knock on wood).

I fully believe it is nothing more than crap luck. I did however rip all skin of my face when I was 12.
    You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

My PT said if you've torn one it's likely you'll tear the other due to structural and mechanical issues that are present in both knees. Any thruth to that? Would tis question make a good new thread?