View Poll Results: have you torn one?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

81 65.32%
  • no

43 34.68%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I found out during my last PT session I can't walk backwards.

Tore my left playing football along w/ a few other things. Right knee is suspect, but I have no desire to find out for sure. Ignorance is bliss!
    Kansas - First Of The Rectangle States

I've only torn other people's ACL's.

I actually had an avulsion, which is where the bone fractures at the spot where the ligament joins it. The bone couldn't be repaired so the doc replaced my ACL anyway.

His explanation is that when the injuring force is applied, the damage will occur at the weakest point. For most adults, that's the ligament. For me, and I guess for many children as well, it was the bone.

I voted no, but since I am waiting for MRI results with just the same question, my vote might change next week.

24 years of skiing and the worst injury was a slight concussion at age 8. Now I'm looking at losing the entire season after a painless knee-pop on day 5 of this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ECKerry View Post
    I voted no, but since I am waiting for MRI results with just the same question, my vote might change next week.

24 years of skiing and the worst injury was a slight concussion at age 8. Now I'm looking at losing the entire season after a painless knee-pop on day 5 of this year.
    Hopefully you will be fine, but if you did tear it, just PT and build strength and get a brace. I just picked mine up today and hopefully i will try skiing in a few weeks. going to do some cross-country and stationary biking a little more first. my doc said i could give it a try, although to keep on the groomers. Hopefully you will be ok. My knee pop was relatively painless too and if it wasnt for some bone bruising i would probably be walking around fine right now. feels better every day though. good luck to you.

Tore mine last season when I was 45. Was my first significant skiing injury since I started this stuff at age 14. Could walk fine without it, but not ski. Had it fixed in June and just getting back on skis now. I had some complications (a fall and an infection) and I will say that it hasn't been a cake-walk overall getting through this. My new knee is performing quite well so far on snow, but has otherwise acquired a small suite of peculiarities that I am still waiting to resolve themselves one way or another.

Still I am quite thankful that it didn't happen 15-20 yrs ago when repairs were much more difficult and apparently pretty ineffective. Anyone have any recollections of the bad old days?
    Last edited by Velodog2; 12-28-2007 at 11:44 AM.

Been lucky so far.

I lost four roomates over four years of college soccer to blown knees.

yep, made it through 23 years of highly competitive soccer (among a myriad of other sports and bodily abuse), including a college career and a stint in the W-League only to blow it at 28 in a silly rec league game.

i guess that's what you get for trying to play your way back into shape though. not a good idea. anyway, i had an allograft and i'm writing about the experience in another thread.

it really wouldn't be too bad if i wasn't missing the ski season. watching my husband load the car to ski powder is the hardest part by a factor of 8 zillion. but i'm three months out and its really starting to feel better! halfway there! woohooo!

Quote Originally Posted by Woodlandclown View Post
    Hopefully you will be fine, but if you did tear it, just PT and build strength and get a brace. I just picked mine up today and hopefully i will try skiing in a few weeks. going to do some cross-country and stationary biking a little more first. my doc said i could give it a try, although to keep on the groomers. Hopefully you will be ok. My knee pop was relatively painless too and if it wasnt for some bone bruising i would probably be walking around fine right now. feels better every day though. good luck to you.
    Thanks for the kind words-- nice to know I'm not the only one screwing up a knee this early in the season. My pop was totally painless, I skied the rest of the day without a problem. That night I had a grapefruit instead of a knee though, and the next morning skiing was definitely not pain free. Oh well, the swelling is almost gone now and I see the doc on the 8th... hoping for a non-tear verdict with a script for PT and cautious skiing. Good luck to you too.

Both.
    Sucks.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

2 knees... so 2 torn ACLs (seemed appropriate).
    "Go Balls Deep!"

Yes.

Left ACL reconstruction/meniscus repair surgery on Wed.

... accepting donations in vibes, dirndled cleavage and full frontal female nudity.
    We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open.

Tore the left one on Roger's Ridge -Mammoth Mtn. 12 years ago and had surgery. Tore the right one at Alyeska 11 years ago and did not have surgery. Just this weekend started feeling pain in the right knee..perhaps due to the deep pow we just got at Mammoth.

tore the right one, patellar tendon, 51 ski days later tore it again and went allograft this time around, 56 ski days so far on that one.

both times were on GROOMED CATWALKS

first time forward, second time switch.

adam is offline The Shred Pirate Roberts
    Had surgery three weeks ago. On the mends . . .

Having my ACL surgery tomorrow.

good luck man. i had a pretty scary experience with mine. after surgery when i was waking up i said that i was in a lot of pain. I obviously wasn't because the hip block was in full effect still. The nurse gave me a perkaset and sent me on my way. When we got home i had passed and and nothing would revive me and I nearly stopped breathing, luckily the ambulance came and got me on oxygen. Had to spend the night in the hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by adam View Post
    good luck man. i had a pretty scary experience with mine. after surgery when i was waking up i said that i was in a lot of pain. I obviously wasn't because the hip block was in full effect still. The nurse gave me a perkaset and sent me on my way. When we got home i had passed and and nothing would revive me and I nearly stopped breathing, luckily the ambulance came and got me on oxygen. Had to spend the night in the hospital.
    why did I read this? what was the cause?

I can't tell you why you read it but I have a low tolerance for that kind of thing.

I had same thing happen to me (sans hospitalization), woke up crying, got percocet, woke up only to throw up the next 24 hrs. I don't even remember the ride home or how I managed to end up on the couch.
    “Slubberdegullions! Ectoplasm! Brutes!”

Fortunately, I survived my surgery with no problem. Now for recovery and skiing next season....

good luck! wish you a fast and mostly painless recovery

Came close once back in the early 90's. My ski tips sunk into some soft snow that was underneath a 1/2" of crust. My left ski came up but my right ski hooked on something. I kept going but my right leg stopped where it was. Binding didn't release and I went down ala Napolean Kaufman of the Oakland Raiders. Screamed like a little baby and was sore for a day but luckily no serious damage done. It does hurt from time to time when I ride my bike but not when I ski. (Knock on wood.)
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Shepherd Wong View Post
    I made it out of my foolish years injury free and did mine last year taking it easy. Oh well, it feels great now and I just missed the tail end of a crappy season.
    "Taking it easy"???

Dude, you were Gelende jumping.

Done both myself.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air