A year in review

This was prompted by a friend of mine, actually two, that said the following:

"You live the life of Reilly. In fact, you live a better life than Reilly. I don't know who Reilly is, but you got him beat."

The second...."No one would ever hire you if they knew you took off so much to go have fun and play."

So i began thinking about this past year and how it has been probably the greatest year, in terms of doing stuff, of my life.
    Although it has not ended just yet, still one more trip until its over.

The year of my life began on May 9 as i headed towards Moab and Monticello to go to court. I guess that was the last of my unfortunate luck because it turned out well. From there I headed to hike the Grand Gulch. Only an out and back of 10 miles. That night I spent in Hanksville, prepping my next day of mtn. biking, hiking, and topping it off while watching the sun go down as I skied in western Utah. A triple headed. Thats where I'll start.

From there we have, not in any order:

3 weeks back east (MA, VT, NJ, PA) Hiking, biking, sea kayaking, fishing and friends uniting!

averaged 40-80 miles per week of mountain biking from June 10 until Oct 30.

Hot spring tour in Idaho with my lady friend..too bad we were fired out of some which led to hikes in the Bitterroots and Sawtooths.

3 days of biking around Galena in Idaho

July 4 from atop the wellsvilles

Hawk watching during the peak of fall foliage from atop the Wells.

TGR premier in Jackson....ala biking from the pass

Over Labor day I think....a four day epic adventure in southern Utah....Ding and Dang for the first time. Peekaboo, spooky and Dry slots...and coyote Gulch. This was rad because of the fall foliage!!!

Infact...loved that so much, went back down the followig weekend with Jen and almost completed the same trip!

Skiing 3 feet of fresh on Nov. 1!!!!

Skiing a foot of fresh closing day at Alta!!!

Skiing ten feet of fresh Jan.1!!! Hell skiing freshies for 2 straight weeks!!!!

Endless tours in the BC!

Jan. full moon at a yurt with a foot of fresh recrystallized unskied snow. Skied all hours besides the hours of 2.30 to 6 am for three days.

Liked that so much, called up and reserved the same yurt for the next (Feb) full moon and was blessed with over a foot of fresh for three days...all unskied!

Liked that so much....reserved a different yurt for two weeks later for half a foot of fresh.

Endless great days at Basin.

12 days cruising cali..(Seqouia, wine tasting, San Simeon, Big Sur, Garrapata, Pinnacles, Death Valley, and then off to Zions)

this last adventure to the San Raf Swell.

Exploring and scoping new terrain in the Raft Rivers.

Lone peak hike up Jacobs ladder...absolutely killer! As well as other peaks in the Wahsatch that we bagged.

Clearing of new trails for biking this season.

Got myself off of school probation with a 3.87 last semester and a 4.0 this semester.

Worked with some photogs and got some killer shots..some to be posted later

Saw some awesome performances this year....Grisman, the Tibetan Monks, and I can't remember who else

oh yeah...another Sawtooth adventure in July while all the flowers were in full bloom!

I think I covered everything...except to finish this year off, we are heading down to either explore the Escalante from Calf Creek to the Colorado for 9 days, pending river levels, or for 9 days explore Lake powell by sea kayak or canoe and check out canyons that, for the first time since the filling of Lake Powell, are finally emptied of water...places that J.W. Powell, Mead, i can't remember his name but the author of the Monkey Wrench Gang..why can't I? experienced back in the day!

And then come home to see Greg Brown perform right here in Logan the night we get back!

No wonder why my friends said that. I am pretty fortunate to have been able to do all this and I have to give thanks to my advisor for supporting me, Jen my girlfriend for allowing me to take off so many times with and without her, and all the others who have travelled along. Maybe it will be some fo you this next year!

Very nice you lucky bastage. Probably more than some people will do in several years (if not a lifetime).

can't remember his name
    Edward Abbey?

PS: Great year...it's taken me the better part of 7 years to cover as much ground as you did in this year alone!!!

Thumbs up

You da man
    My Montana has an East Infection

Originally posted by Red Baron
    Edward Abbey?

We've got a Hayduke on the board here.

Sounds like a great time. Just think about what you are going to do next year to top it!

i have to add another trip back east for 5 days which included a bunch of cold hiking along even colder water..

And 72 days of skiing.

I don't think I can top it this next year unless something miraculous happens....and that is why I just let it all fall into place.

Thumbs up

Sounds like a good year.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Awesome stoy.

In other news, I think this "work" thing may be impinging on my free time. Just a hunch.

Sounds like a good year Stoy.