TR - Storm Chasing to Wolf Creek, CO

The successful storm chase to Wolf Creek requires a few key ingredients.
    1. The forecast
    2. The proper job flexibility
    3. A hotel that takes dogs
    4. Ullr delivering the goods
    5. Fat skis to make it through the notorious flats

1. The Forecast: With SW CO getting up to 4 feet plus in places last weekend and with a similar storm on the horizon, things looked good.

2. Job Flexibility: My boss is based in Austin, TX. Thankfully, he skis and when I sent him an email asking for Friday off, I included the forecast. The reply was, "sure, just take pics to show me when you head to Austin next week." The wife is self employed and her clients were leaving a noon Thursday, just enough time for her to get her ski stuff together before we head out.

3. South Fork has several hotels that take dogs. This is a requirement, as these guys don't do too well hanging in the car all day.

4. Ullr Delivering the Goods. We awoke Friday to a rain/snow mix in South Fork and reports of 8 inches at 6:30. Game on. The drive up looked like this.

This was the visibility for the next two days. It snowed the entire time we were there.

We were 3rd car in the lot (the guy in the truck on the right, drove straight through from So Cal.

and 1st chair

5. Fat Skis. As many know, Wolf Creek is not known for its steep lines. However, pow and lots of it rules down there. We were going on the theory that the fattest boards possible would allow us to surf the goods and still make it through many feet of snow in the flats.

Ms. Telechuck went with the Goats

and me the Deep Powders

It worked. Every run over two days was pow filled bliss. We even avoided getting stuck in the dreaded flats, even with four feet over the two days we skied.

We only got a few pics, as it was snowing hard and we were too busy getting pow. Here are a few pics of Ms. Telechuck

Two days of storm skiing and we were spent. We knew today (Sunday) would be bluebird and crisp. However, life called. I have to head to Austin tomorrow and Ms. Telechuck has to finish a project. But, we are content, knowing our season is off to a great start and the storm successfully chased.

Not bad...not bad at all.
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

woot!

_________

Bumping this for the morning crowd. If you drive far enough, you can ski untracked at 3:30 without skins.

Success. It's so satisfying.

Woot!
    Nice score, TC!

gotta get there sometime...cool pics

Man, wish I could do that.

[IMG][/IMG]

I was up there Friday and Sunday with some friends (we were denied on Saturday because of the avie on the pass). It was deep...

Sweet! Wish we could have caught the bluebird on Sunday.

Saturday was amazing, as with the avie, many folks just could not get up the pass. There was literally no one there on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by drt View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]

I was up there Friday and Sunday with some friends (we were denied on Saturday because of the avie on the pass). It was deep...

Nice TR. Thanks for the stoke. All these reports from SW CO, along with more snow in the forecast, make me want to do the 11 hour drive.

bump

Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

NICE!!!! Does indeed look like your season is off to a good start. Best of luck on the continued storm-chasing.

bump1234

bump1234