Page 754 of 1654 FirstFirst ... 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 ... LastLast
Results 18,826 to 18,850 of 41346
    Berthoud was stupid deep this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Ireallyliketoski View Post
    Berthoud was stupid deep this morning.
    Rub it in. Pretty good coverage all around? Considering it or high off Loveland Pass on Friday AM if we get some NW flow refresh over the next few days.

Vail should have a good opening day. Snow was deep and dry at the top of Lionshead. A refresher on Friday would be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by skiHOG View Post
    Vail should have a good opening day. Snow was deep and dry at the top of Lionshead. A refresher on Friday would be perfect.
    Looks like most of the terrain off 2/3/4 will be open.

Crazy weather in Denver this morning. Not even a dusting of snow in Boulder and more than a foot in the tech center. Shit got scary on I-25 when the snow hit in between boulder / DTC

holly frickin' wind. down in the flat it is gusting hard. seriously worried for an old blue spruce that may get blown over. house creaking good today.

Vail Pass was ok today...

Lots of wind loading/scouring and a couple weak layers.

Keystone dropped some ropes and it was great (for Nov obviously). So windy at the top. Tried to take Loveland Pass back to Denver and had to turn back and go around because of a big jamb up of semis/accidents at the top where it was a complete whiteout and some of the strongest gusts I've ever felt in a vehicle.

A friend's weather station on top of Golden Gate Canyon, one ridge over from Centennial Cone, recorded a high gust of 146mph!
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBoy View Post
    The wife's not gonna be happy when she sees a few dollars missing from the savings and a note on the door that reads, "Gone to AK for the week. Remember to walk the dog."
    Quote Originally Posted by kannonbal View Post
    Damn it. You never get a powder day you didn't ski back. The one time you blow off a day, or a season, it will be the one time it is the miracle of all history. The indescribable flow, the irreplaceable nowness, the transcendental dance; blink and you miss it.
    Some people blink their whole lives.

Any other reports on snowpack/stability from Berthoud? This field report makes it look a bit spicy: http://avalanche.state.co.us/caic/ob...p?obs_id=36389. I haven't made it out yet this season and I am itching.

Also interested in any insight into WP terrain openings. Looks like only greens and one blue right now. Anything more for the weekend?

Drive home last night after flying back from FL. Flight was delayed due to winds. It was snowing hard and super windy near the tunnel and on the west side of the tunnel. VP and west wasn't much ️snow but was still super windy.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by ballackout View Post
    Any other reports on snowpack/stability from Berthoud?
    Also interested in any insight into WP terrain openings. Looks like only greens and one blue right now. Anything more for the weekend?
    Re: snowpack. CAIC center does a good job of describing the current avalanche problem. Pretty much classic early season (hopefully not all season) conditions. I hope you understand this. If not, go dig. My advice...my hyper aware, stay humble and don't listen to people you don't know what they are talking about. There is plenty of good safe skiing about but it is far from green light conditions.

Re: Wanker Park - know for not announcing openings. CEO had a conference call saying they'd be open to the top "soon". Marketing or reality...we'll see. If I hear anything maybe I'll let you know...or not?

Best case? Cranmer opens this weekend

Was thinking the snowpack might stabilize a bit in spots that weren't wind loaded before this last storm. Going up Saturday for sure to see what it looks like. Ireallyliketoski did you dig any pits? If so whatcha find? Here's a couple links from Colorado Avalanche Information Center's youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jFENfES_fc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXMoubySM7k

Quote Originally Posted by sillyrabbit View Post
    Was thinking the snowpack might stabilize a bit in spots that weren't wind loaded before this last storm. Going up Saturday for sure to see what it looks like. Ireallyliketoski did you dig any pits? If so whatcha find? ]
    I was up at Berthoud Tuesday as well. Snow quality was good and mostly keeping one off the bottom. Stability with as thin as it still is is suspect. Under layers varying between surface hoar, depth hoar, crusts, and rocks/grass.

My $.02 is to stay to lower angle slopes and slopes with limited rocks and deadfall. But there are always people pushing it and they don't seem to get into trouble so what do I know?

The wind was pretty much all over the state yesterday, brutal in places. Had 20-30mph steady winds with gusts even higher in Routt, from sun-up to sundown. The divide was brutal, but looked fruitful to those in the know. Have your A-game on folks. Be safe.

Still trying to see if anyone has gotten out to Hidden Valley recently? It's usually my go-to for sketchy avy conditions but I've not been up that way this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Re: Wanker Park - know for not announcing openings. CEO had a conference call saying they'd be open to the top "soon". Marketing or reality...we'll see. If I hear anything maybe I'll let you know...or not?
    Hahah. Thanks, Foggy.

Around a foot of light snow on top of denser windslab from the previous 2 days made for easy turning @ Hwy 6 this afternoon.

3 foot slab avalanche on "Kitchen Wall" ( E aspect above Pass Lake ), relatively small ( R2 ) to the whole slope above the lake. Lots of rocks visible in track.
    "The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't." - Rancid Crabtree

"never buy anything you can't fuel with a salami sandwich" - XXX-er

Looks like Vail is having a big opening- They are planning to open Northwoods and Game Creek during the day.

Lifts running today-
    Gondola One
    Eagle Bahn Gondola
    The new, six-passenger Avanti Express (#2)
    Wildwood Express (#3)
    Mountain Top Express (#4)
    Born Free Express (#8)
    Little Eagle (#15)
    Northwoods Express (#11)
    Game Creek Express (#7),

Was hoping they wouldn't open 11 and 7 until tomorrow when I'm up there, but still stoked. Hopefully it snows during the day today.

Vail was money today. Not as much snow as last year's opening, but I think it was a better opening, overall. Visibility went to zero a couple times off chairs 3 and 4..

Looks like some banding is setting up over Vail now based on NWS radar.

Super fun day at Vail. Lots of snow and not many people out. The snow was pretty heavy but it was fun and surfy. This storm wasn't as cold but it did get pretty windy around noon.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Almost a foot of snow in Keystone during hte day
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by mdblows View Post
    Still trying to see if anyone has gotten out to Hidden Valley recently? It's usually my go-to for sketchy avy conditions but I've not been up that way this season.
    Got a report from some buddies who were there Wednesday that it was a bit boney and needed a few more storms for coverage.
    stay outta my line

Here's a pit we dug up off Postage Stamp up Currant Creek on an EFS if anyone's interested. Anyone have any news on the avalanche triggered off by Nelson's Folly? Looked like it cut all the way to the ground, we saw a CAIC truck when we left. Lot of people up in the lots, way more than usual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xoa...ature=youtu.be