Page 1643 of 1654 FirstFirst ... 1638 1639 1640 1641 1642 1643 1644 1645 1646 1647 1648 ... LastLast
Results 41,051 to 41,075 of 41346
    Even with a thin year and mid March, Wolfie has a base depth of 86"...
    Keystone is pretty north and has a base elevation of 9300ft...
    Vail and Highlands have the same 8000ft base elevation but Vail is gonna close April 21.

And yet Vail will open earlier for Mtb than Keystone.

That is some weird business decisions. Vail Resorts wants to push skiers to Breck.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

the only one that seems odd is Keystone, you'd think that financially it would be beneficial for them to stay open (as virtually all of the other front range resorts do).
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

What EPIC resort in Colorado stays open the longest? Basin and Wanker are good IKON options.

Sent from my Turbo 850 Flatbrimed Highhorse

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    What EPIC resort in Colorado stays open the longest? Basin and Wanker are good IKON options.

I think it's generally Breck, no?

Definitely Breck since Basin left the fold. Although the gal that runs it said on the Storm Skiing podcast that their May 21st, 2023 closing was probably a one off.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

yes, Breck. Was open until May last year, IIRC.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

...and Skistoned and Breck are owned by the same people and about 30mins. apart with Breck having more company owned resturant/retail and better late season terrain?

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

Keystone is restricted by their Forest Service permit IIRC.

Keystone closed on April 17 last year. They could stay open until the 14th or 21st this year.

This is 100% a VR decision to drive business to Breck.

Breck is closing April 30 vs May 21 last year...
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Buddy on breck patrol said they were told they're budgeted for May 12th this season.

They can always extend if they want/can. But visitation drop significantly after easter, no matter when easter ends. Pretty good business decision to just concentrate the masses to one resort. Keystone has never had much of a spring draw whereas Breck is awesome in the spring due to the long sunny days on wide open runs. Plus yes, the town and infrastructure is much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    They can always extend if they want/can. But visitation drop significantly after easter, no matter when easter ends. Pretty good business decision to just concentrate the masses to one resort. Keystone has never had much of a spring draw whereas Breck is awesome in the spring due to the long sunny days on wide open runs. Plus yes, the town and infrastructure is much better.
    yeah, that makes sense, given how close they are. I suppose Copper and WP might act differently if they were right next to each other.

Shit, sounds like plenty of spring breakers next week. I hope it's not too packed. I get in on Sunday. Hadn't intended to try to ski Sunday at all, but (anti-jinx) now wondering whether a half day on Sunday could be in the cards.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Shit, sounds like plenty of spring breakers next week. I hope it's not too packed. I get in on Sunday. Hadn't intended to try to ski Sunday at all, but (anti-jinx) now wondering whether a half day on Sunday could be in the cards.
    Sunday afternoon should be fine... as should mid-week wherever you're going. Even with Spring Break happening for DPS, I'd wager mid-week will be busier than perhaps a "regular" week, but it will still be quite painless.

Next week is not THE spring break week, the Texans won't be there. You'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Next week is not THE spring break week, the Texans won't be there. You'll be fine.
    Yeehaw!

Dude, you are so fucked!

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Nice, I might have to go tomorrow then.
    Corn confirmed! Last few days at the Jane have been great with the kids... ski on chairs, corn, and splitter weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    the only one that seems odd is Keystone, you'd think that financially it would be beneficial for them to stay open (as virtually all of the other front range resorts do).
    However, almost nobody actually pays for a lift ticket at the window by April 1. At least not enough to keep the lifts running.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    However, almost nobody actually pays for a lift ticket at the window by April 1. At least not enough to keep the lifts running.
    That was the conventional wisdom for years, but something about the economic picture has changed recently, because more of the resorts are staying open as late as possible. And they're surely not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.

Fair point, not sure what has changed.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Well lift tickets are one of the smallest portions of how big ski areas make money, it's largely food/bev. People sure as heck like to buy beers when it's sunny and warm out.

I mean apres does hit different on a warm sunny day

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Fair point, not sure what has changed.
    The model is to sell the idea of skiing vs. the reality in the form of a mega pass. A long season is good marketing copy.

Speaking for Wanker Pankcake, its a 365 day/year operation. Gone are the days of turning off the lifts and getting lost in the desert for mud season. The staff that work the late season are full time year round. They are getting paid to do something regardless.

Parkside closes on 4/21. On 4/22, they will start digging out the bike park, doing lift maintenance, deep cleaning the facilities, switching all the shops from skis to bike and so on.

So the incremental cost of running the Super Gay and handful of staff is tiny.

Thanks Foggy, that makes sense. It was obvious something had changed for the front range resorts, I think the old conventional wisdom still holds true for the resorts far away from population centers like CB or TRide, but WP and Summit don't have the same off-seasons that they used to, that's for sure.