Page 1622 of 1654 FirstFirst ... 1617 1618 1619 1620 1621 1622 1623 1624 1625 1626 1627 ... LastLast
Results 40,526 to 40,550 of 41326
    The basin was an all around adventure today, from the driving to the skiing. A few really great laps were had for sure after finding your way through the blowing snow. I've certainly never skied bear trap as good as an untouched lap I had through there today. last ride up pali before it closed was next level blowing snow and wind, shortly after that bmx closed. thats when you really know shit is wild. All super worth it and will be back there tomorrow, maybe after it warms just a tad. brr.

Quote Originally Posted by shera View Post
    I grabbed this pic off fb. This is why I didn't go to the backside of Copper yesterday, I was guessing this kind of sh!tshow - once you're back there you're trapped.

Attachment 483076
    Bahahahaha

Super high quality storm! If you ever need help navigating the Grand County Circus, just message me or find me on the back channel. I can usually point you in the right direction.

Pro tip: Berthoud is on the other of a 11.5k mountain pass from Denver. Not often, but sometimes, extreme weather and avalanche conditions lead to extended closures. We used to just let'r rip until South Stanley slid when the road was open https://classic.avalanche.state.co.u...ident=20070106

So the ski area and the cops have to figure out a better way to manage traffic exiting The Jane specially when The Pass is closed. Pepporoni's stays open as late as you keep throwing money. But if you want to act like a toddler that is hungry and just shit their pants because the pass is closed on a holiday weekend when the conditions were exactly as forecast, your wallet ain't welcome here.

Shit is real. Have a bit of compassion for your server, plow guy, ski patroller etc. They haven't slept much in a couple of days. They don't make enough to eat your shit sandwich.

Rant over. Come visit with a smile, roll with the punches and it will be all unicorns and fat kid farts.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post

Pro tip: Berthoud is on the other of a 11.5k mountain pass from Denver. Not often, but sometimes, extreme weather and avalanche conditions lead to extended closures. We used to just let'r rip until South Stanley slid when the road was open
    When I was 13 or 14, traffic stopped on my way to the comp center. My buddy and I walked up the road and were promptly handed a probe to do a probe line on the highway at Stanley. There were no cars still on the highway, but a jeep cherokee (if my memory is right) was pushed most of the way down the hill, almost to Berthoud Falls. The occupants were fine.

Edit- found it. "On Saturday, an avalanche hit U.S. 40 near Berthoud Pass, pitching a car 500 feet over the side and burying the road under 8 feet of snow, authorities reported.

The driver of the car shoved off the road, Richard C. Rohwer, 49, of Lakewood, a Denver suburb, suffered only minor scrapes and bruises, state trooper Sam Mitchell said."

So glad I went to the basin yesterday instead of Vail after seeing that pic. We all know it's coming but always still amazed to see it.

Breck was fun if you waited a bit today. Waited for first chair at Colorado then it didn't open so lapped Rocky until it got super busy around 9:30. We put the closed til noon sign up early but I just moved that to 12-2pm instead hah. Got back out around noon and super connect was probably as deep as I've ever skied it! Tbar didn't open so tomorrow should be nuts up there in the right spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    .,.. But if you want to act like a toddler that is hungry and just shit their pants because the pass is closed on a holiday weekend when the conditions were exactly as forecast, your wallet ain't welcome here.

Shit is real. Have a bit of compassion for your server, plow guy, ski patroller etc. They haven't slept much in a couple of days. They don't make enough to eat your shit sandwich.

Rant over. Come visit with a smile, roll with the punches and it will be all unicorns and fat kid farts.
    Love me a good, accurate Foggy rant.

If you want to recreate in the mtns you recreate on the mtns timeline sometimes. Not your own. Those are the rules for storm skiing.

I wanted desperately to ski today (and all weekend.) Massive FOMO given how the season has gone. I was up feeding the 6-week-old at 3:45am, had shit packed and ready to head up the hill.

But then I sat down and looked through weather obs and latest model runs. It was clear going skiing even for a few hours might mean be gone until late this evening given the forecasts. So I just drank coffee and hung with the lil Dude all day. People acting like petulant children because shit ain't open ... just lame.

Skipped 70 and BP today for legit knee deep to waist deep at Eldora. Frigid temps (-10 in lot, sign said -22 wind chill at top of Corona) , but 4-5 runs, thaw out and repeat. Skied right onto every chair all day until 1p when I bailed. Was lovely and a pleasant 1hr 15 up and down to Arvada. Maybe 1hr 30 down (thanks pearl clutching Mustang EV SUV thing in Coal Creek Canyon).

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBoy View Post
    The wife's not gonna be happy when she sees a few dollars missing from the savings and a note on the door that reads, "Gone to AK for the week. Remember to walk the dog."
    Quote Originally Posted by kannonbal View Post
    Damn it. You never get a powder day you didn't ski back. The one time you blow off a day, or a season, it will be the one time it is the miracle of all history. The indescribable flow, the irreplaceable nowness, the transcendental dance; blink and you miss it.
    Some people blink their whole lives.

I love skiing dick deep snow in the trees no matter how cold and windy it is.

Monarch was even better today than yesterday. Even with only two lifts open, full on blizzard conditions, and an early closure…fucking magic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4248.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	162.1 KB 
ID:	483160
    You should have been here yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by Leshphilling77 View Post
    The basin was an all around adventure today, from the driving to the skiing. A few really great laps were had for sure after finding your way through the blowing snow. I've certainly never skied bear trap as good as an untouched lap I had through there today. last ride up pali before it closed was next level blowing snow and wind, shortly after that bmx closed. thats when you really know shit is wild. All super worth it and will be back there tomorrow, maybe after it warms just a tad. brr.
    This and same.

Was pretty sure I was not getting off Pali, 2 chairs from the top, there for a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by SterlingSpikeDancer View Post
    Skipped 70 and BP today for legit knee deep to waist deep at Eldora. Frigid temps (-10 in lot, sign said -22 wind chill at top of Corona) , but 4-5 runs, thaw out and repeat. Skied right onto every chair all day until 1p when I bailed. Was lovely and a pleasant 1hr 15 up and down to Arvada. Maybe 1hr 30 down (thanks pearl clutching Mustang EV SUV thing in Coal Creek Canyon).

Same. Corona stashes delivered all day!

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SterlingSpikeDancer View Post

Eldora was off the chain today. Nuked all day, was cold and deeeep!

I’ve never seen more people NOT skiing literally hundreds of skis outside base lodge… Love storm skiing

Name:	Image1705374687.014243.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	203.3 KB 
ID:	483169

Name:	Image1705374601.586471.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	307.4 KB 
ID:	483168
    Last edited by Wildman; 01-16-2024 at 12:24 AM.

WP today in the top 5 powder days I've had

Saturday I decided to book a few nights and drive up. I guesstimated a 50% chance Berthoud would close at some point but was not expecting it to last this long. Hoping for the best and planning for the worst tomorrow.

Talking to a lot of people and watching the I70 shitshow made me realize frangers only care about the snow report and dont take into consideration the weather for the drive back.

Skied Sunday at Copper with my 17 year old kid. Alpine lot was deep, still had fresh tracks at a 8am. Snowed all day, high quality low density snow and not too much wind. We skied front side trees all around the resort all day, twas magical. Drive back to Denver was chill, slow going but steady 2 hour drive home, phenomenal day and even better sharing with the next generation.

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 11.28.27 AM.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	473.4 KB 
ID:	483220Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 11.29.07 AM.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	507.4 KB 
ID:	483221
    seeker of sastrugi

Very nice!
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Not sure this is the right thread but I will give it a shot... Heading to steamboat in a few weeks and looks like we might have one more car than parking pass at the condo. Anywhere to park overnight in town for a few days besides the square garage as mentioned https://www.steamboat.com/plan-your-...round/parking?

Snowaddict showed up at CB again today and I sat in for a few laps with his crew.. Bluebird leftovers. High lift skiing well. Groomer zoomers back to Silver Queen were pristine. Nobody here. I'm not sure there are too many people on the planet that love to ski as much as SA. Dude is full stoke mode all the time.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

What’s crazy to me is how many people still don’t know how to ski Vail. We waited in about a 10 min line at chair 11, but that was it. If you don’t get Chair 5 first thing then you don’t get chair 5. MAYBE 2 laps if you ski fast….MAYBE but it’s a risk.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

What’s crazy to me is how many people still want to ski Vail.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Damn he seems cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    What’s crazy to me is how many people still want to ski Vail.
    What’s crazy to me is how many people still want to ski Monarch.

I kid, I kid, but not really

What time did you leave for it to only take 2 hours?

Quote Originally Posted by Irlts View Post
    Skied Sunday at Copper with my 17 year old kid. Alpine lot was deep, still had fresh tracks at a 8am. Snowed all day, high quality low density snow and not too much wind. We skied front side trees all around the resort all day, twas magical. Drive back to Denver was chill, slow going but steady 2 hour drive home, phenomenal day and even better sharing with the next generation.

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 11.28.27 AM.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	473.4 KB 
ID:	483220Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 11.29.07 AM.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	507.4 KB 
ID:	483221

Been years since I last skied the bowls on a powder day. Was curious how 17 affected things, took a chance with 1 ride on 17 and 1 on 5, both were ski on, but knew it was time to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    What’s crazy to me is how many people still don’t know how to ski Vail. We waited in about a 10 min line at chair 11, but that was it. If you don’t get Chair 5 first thing then you don’t get chair 5. MAYBE 2 laps if you ski fast….MAYBE but it’s a risk.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    What’s crazy to me is how many people still want to ski Monarch.

I kid, I kid, but not really
    Haha, touché

You should have been here yesterday!

What's wrong with Monarch?
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by shera View Post
    What's wrong with Monarch?