Page 887 of 1652 FirstFirst ... 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 ... LastLast
Results 22,151 to 22,175 of 41290

Skied Mt. Sherman on Tuesday

Skinned and skied Mt. Sherman this past Tuesday. The 4 mile creek road was so crappy we stopped early and parked several miles ahead of the normal parking area near the horseshoe camping area. This made for quite the slog, I clocked 14 miles on the day on my gps. We stowed our skis underneath the ridgeline as the peak was entirely exposed rock. Got some nice soft snow down a narrow gully avoiding the abundant rock hard windslab on the saddle and down the main stretch. There is still some snow up there which I'm sure is declining rapidly with current sunshine. Curious about conditions on other 14ers.

Quote Originally Posted by tommykelly View Post
    Skinned and skied Mt. Sherman this past Tuesday. The 4 mile creek road was so crappy we stopped early and parked several miles ahead of the normal parking area near the horseshoe camping area. This made for quite the slog, I clocked 14 miles on the day on my gps. We stowed our skis underneath the ridgeline as the peak was entirely exposed rock. Got some nice soft snow down a narrow gully avoiding the abundant rock hard windslab on the saddle and down the main stretch. There is still some snow up there which I'm sure is declining rapidly with current sunshine. Curious about conditions on other 14ers.
    Was thinking about checking out Quandary on Saturday. See if it's completely fucked.

^^^The North I assume?

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    front rangers only ski pow pow, they're like wine snobs
    Not this Franger. I love me some sastrugi.

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedic84 View Post
    Was thinking about checking out Quandary on Saturday. See if it's completely fucked.
    Cool, let me know how that goes. I've been wanting to hit that soon.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Not this Franger. I love me some sastrugi.
    me too, so much so it's in my user profile auto sig.

Today was nice.

Vail is gonna be nice in the morning. 7-8" of dense surfy snow fell between 4 and 10. Stars are out now, so I think it might be done.

http://longrangesnowcenter.blogspot....-19th-feb.html

Here is my long term forecast with a okay flow from BC/PNW.

Brush fires in February. Yay!

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    No but that is when the elk turn to deer. Jong.
    Do your research. They can wake up early if it's this warm.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Do your research. They can wake up early if it's this warm.
    Season is over folks, they are closing down the resorts due to bear infestations and the ski area will put away the moguls for summer storage area sooner than later. Time to break out the golf clubs!

Skied 5 inches at the Basin this morning. Good snow, but coral reef underneath. Still fast and fun, not crowded at all actually, despite full lots.

Season is over folks, they are closing down the resorts due to bear infestations and the ski area will put away the moguls for summer storage area sooner than later. Time to break out the golf clubs!

Skied 5 inches at the Basin this morning. Good snow, but coral reef underneath. Still fast and fun, not crowded at all actually, despite full lots.
    Touché' ✌️

Hoping the casual skiers do give up though. I guess they always do.

I skied Grays on Saturday, skis on summit to car. Gigantic sastrugi that was enjoyable to ski, and an ice crust on northerly aspects in the trees at 10,500'. It's nice seeing so much white on the mountains this time of year, hopefully the snow keeps up.

What else is in? Dead Dog looks amazing and had one set of tracks in it from the past couple days. Trying it crossed my mind but it's a little early for me, weird season though.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    I skied Grays on Saturday, skis on summit to car. Gigantic sastrugi that was enjoyable to ski, and an ice crust on northerly aspects in the trees at 10,500'. It's nice seeing so much white on the mountains this time of year, hopefully the snow keeps up.

What else is in? Dead Dog looks amazing and had one set of tracks in it from the past couple days. Trying it crossed my mind but it's a little early for me, weird season though.
    I'm guessing you weren't in the party of two that asked me "sooo, have you been up to grays this year" in the upper TH at 12:30pm, planning on heading for the summit on Saturday?

Had a face palm moment at my kid's pool today, talking with a parent, who said she's glad winter is almost over. In Denver. Where there hasn't been winter in a month.

Great pow skiing on N/NE aspects below treeline @ Continental Divide today. Frequent whumpfing at the tippy top of treeline.

Breck was pretty damn good today. Spent most of the afternoon on Peak 6. Skied pretty bottomless over there.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 02-20-2017 at 10:15 PM.

wow good today
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by mdblows View Post
    I'm guessing you weren't in the party of two that asked me "sooo, have you been up to grays this year" in the upper TH at 12:30pm, planning on heading for the summit on Saturday?
    Nope, I was cooking lunch at home at 12:30.

Surprising how many people I talk to seem to think that the snow sucks right now. Riding the chairlift: "man, we sure need snow, glad we got a few inches" from multiple parties. The whole state is at 120-150% of average! All about that base, bout that base....

It's been an amazing season with more double digit pow days than I can remember. A little warm spell melts snow in the valleys and wind blows snow off the top of the peaks and everyone thinks it sucks. Hope they keep thinking that and bail on the season early. Gotta love the Franger powder snobs who can't enjoy a good old fashioned chalk surfing day.

[/rant]

Quote Originally Posted by mdblows View Post
    I think that you would have been OK on Saturday with an afternoon ascent as the weather was great, although yeah not the standard protocol to leave so late.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    I think that you would have been OK on Saturday with an afternoon ascent as the weather was great, although yeah not the standard protocol to leave so late.
    Agreed. We summited at 3pm on our line on Saturday. It was awesome

Surprising how many people I talk to seem to think that the snow sucks right now. Riding the chairlift: "man, we sure need snow, glad we got a few inches" from multiple parties. The whole state is at 120-150% of average! All about that base, bout that base....

It's been an amazing season with more double digit pow days than I can remember. A little warm spell melts snow in the valleys and wind blows snow off the top of the peaks and everyone thinks it sucks. Hope they keep thinking that and bail on the season early. Gotta love the Franger powder snobs who can't enjoy a good old fashioned chalk surfing day.

[/rant]
    Most people aren't skiing the alpine terrain? Coral reef down below treeline most days this month.

[/rant]
    Agree. It's ridiculous. Fuck the snobs.